69 automatic console plate

Search this Thread

Old June 25th, 2007, 04:36 PM

69 automatic console plate

I want to convert my 69 cutlass s column shift to console shift. I found a center console in perfect condition except the auto shifter chrome top plate. My questions are:

do I use the stock shifter, if so where do I get a new top plate? The chromer said it would be impossible to get the pits out and chrome may not adhere to the corners of the one I have.

Should I use an aftermarket shifter, which one and will it have a top plate that will fit the original console.

Thanks bb
Old June 25th, 2007, 09:41 PM

I would use the stock shifter and keep a close eye on ebay. Hopefully you could find just the top plate or a console that's been damaged you could buy for the parts you need. That would be much simpler than trying to install a generic shifter.
Old July 15th, 2007, 08:07 PM

do I use the stock shifter, if so where do I get a new top plate? The chromer said it would be impossible to get the pits out and chrome may not adhere to the corners of the one I have.

console chrome is always pitted, and its been my experiance that you will just have to wait for a better example to show up on auction - be prepared to spend a grip of cash on it too cause everyone is looking for a useable example. There are no new repops made to my knowledge. it is made into a very complicated piece with the addition of the rocket on the shifter gate. No other plates fit a factory console except a factory plate to my knowledge. Unscrew the 4 screws and pull the chrome off, youll see what i mean (2 screws in front, and 2 in back of the chrome under the lid)

anyways, the console chrome has an aluminum sticker on it if it was a 68, or wood grain sticker if it was a 69 - sticker might not be the best word - maybe applique?
www.thepartsplaceinc.com has both aluminum and woodgrain stickers i believe

as far as shifter - there are a ton of shifters always on ebay
there are 2 varieties - a 2 speed automatic for the jetaway, and a 3 speed automatic for the th350/th400 transmissions.

if you cant find a factory shifter worthy on ebay, let me know, i have a couple factory shifters from my quest for the perfect console.

good luck

Mike
Old July 16th, 2007, 06:27 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by bigbrother
I want to convert my 69 cutlass s column shift to console shift. I found a center console in perfect condition except the auto shifter chrome top plate. My questions are:

There are certainly chrome shops that can fill pitted pot metal castings - for a price. I'd suggest you run the pitted unit until you can find a better one. I'm not aware of any repros currently. Note that this console was used for 67-69 Cutlii as well as full size and Toros.

Should I use an aftermarket shifter, which one and will it have a top plate that will fit the original console.

Thanks bb
There are no bolt-in aftermarket units. Fabrication will be required.