62 Starfire Trans Noise

Search this Thread

Old September 17th, 2010, 04:27 PM

62 Starfire Trans Noise

I finally have my restoration far enough along to drive my car in the neighborhood listening for strange noises and looking for leaks. I am not sure the trans is shifting properly. It shifts out of 1st at around 10 to 15 mph, when it shifts into what I think is 2nd, the engine really digs down and the car accelerates nicely. However, I could only get it into 3rd one or twice. I was going about 35 in 2nd. I kept letting off the throttle, hoping it would jump into 3rd. It did once or twice. I was careful not to disturb the adjustments of the T.V. Rod on either end. The engine and trans were rebuilt by the PO, but the car was not driveable when I bought it and I immediately started dismantling it. So I don't know if it ever worked properly. Engine starts easily and runs great. The car has not been driven in the 5 years I have owned it. Do you think the valves or other components could be sticking. It is making an intermittent buzzing/clicking sound in all gears, including Park. I am not to confident in continuing to drive it.
Any ideas?
Old September 18th, 2010, 05:29 AM

Thanks for the reply. I topped off the fluid level and took it around the block again. It is definetly shifting into 2nd, the shift into 3rd can't really be felt the revs just die down a little and the car accelerates. The ticking noise sounds like something trying to engage in the transmission. The car is off to the trim shop this morning. When I get it back I will check the TV rod and other linkage adjustments in the manual and see if the noise will go away.
I know there are very few people who know how to, or are willing to work on a Slim Jim. Is there anyone close to Cleveland, OH?
Old September 26th, 2010, 08:00 AM

The Slim Jim is very sensitive to fluid level. The buzzing noise usually indicates low on fluid.

Dave holt
Old September 27th, 2010, 07:02 AM

I did have to add some fluid, it was slipping on takeoff. The clicking noise sounds more like something trying to engage in the transmission.
When I get the car back from the upholstery shop, I will check the adjustments on the shift linkage and TV rod.
There is a transmisson shop in Canton, OH that rebuilt a Slim Jim for one of the local Old's club members. If I can't get it too stop making the noise I will take it to the trans shop.
Thanks.