61 Slim Jim in and out lines

Search this Thread

Old July 2nd, 2009, 12:07 PM

61 Slim Jim in and out lines

I actually have a Slim Jim that still works great. I'm getting ready to flush the trans, install a new filter and trans cooler. I need to know what lines corespond to the in and out on the radiator . I just didn't want to have to guess. Maybe someone knows firsthand. Thanks
Old July 3rd, 2009, 05:55 AM

I used to have a 64 98 with a Slim Jim. However, I sold it in the fall with the manuals. I am not sure which line goes where on the transmission cooler. Hopefully someone else will post that knows.
Old July 3rd, 2009, 07:48 AM

Originally Posted by NAS Backyard
........ what lines correspond to the in and out on the radiator ........
Unless you are concerned with originality, it makes no difference.

Norm
Old July 3rd, 2009, 10:21 AM
Geezer

Jumping passed the question a bit, you should flush the cooler portion of the radiator while you are at it. The cooler can accumulate crap that should be flushed out when cleaning the control valve body and/or putting in a new filter. Best advice is to leave the control valve body alone if the transmission is shifting properly.

You do not want to ever hook up a high pressure transmission flushing machine up to your transmission, or any other vintage transmission, for the reasons stated by coldwar. If you do you will be rebuilding it before you put it back on the road. You should also know that when refilling the transmission it is okay to use DEXRON II as it is backwardly compatible with the originally specified TYPE A. Be aware that using DEXRON or DEXRON II will improve shift characteristics to some degree. Just be careful and do not overfill. Best to follow specific refill procedures found in the manual.

Last edited by Texascarnut; July 3rd, 2009 at 10:37 AM.
Old July 3rd, 2009, 10:37 AM

honda say no flush with cleaner fuild use only the flush manchine with there atf fuild. have seen trans flush service done and trans. fail with in weeks!!!!
Old July 3rd, 2009, 04:47 PM

I figured it out. I wasn't using a machine to flush my transmission. I used 2 gal. of DEX/MERC. Unhooked the line out of the radiator, Had my GF start the car,I just ran the fluid into a drain pan, stopped, refilled, repeat, until the fluid was clean. Dropped the pan, cleaned everything, installed my NORS filter, and I also installed a transmission cooler. I'm making a new pan gasket right now. I will post pictures on my Major Build post later.