58 dynamic 88

Search this Thread

Old March 20th, 2022, 02:04 PM

58 dynamic 88

Hi, 371 hydra- matic jetaway trans , changes as it should up and down .
in neutral you need to rest your foot on the brake to stop it creeping , especially if you give her some revs . Is this a problem ?? If yes .... what do I need to do to cure it please

Old March 20th, 2022, 02:32 PM
Frank Ignachuck

Hmmm. Very interesting question. I have a '56 which was the first year of the Jetaway.. That first year, the Jetaway had problems but by 1958 the problems were corrected. So when you say "changes up and down as it should" that's a very good sign. I've never put mine in neutral while driving around, but I'll try that out the next time I go for a ride. As a matter of fact, that gives me a good reason to take out the Super 88 tomorrow! Thanks! By the way, very nice car!
Old March 21st, 2022, 01:21 AM

As far as I know, it shouldn't do it. After Frank checks his, he can tell you what he found. If it has been a long time since the fluid has been changed (over 25,000 miles) you could try doing a complete fluid change (about 11 quarts) using the correct fluid. Sometimes fresh fluid can work wonders loosening up something that's sticking a little. It sounds like the neutral clutch may not be releasing completely, but a Jetaway expert could probably give a better diagnosis.
Old March 21st, 2022, 05:46 AM

Beautiful Olds! I hope Frank, Ozzie and others give you some good info.

I noticed you were on the passenger's side in the photo and that you're in New Zealand. Post some more pics of your Olds when you get a chance. I'd love to see some pics of the right hand drive setup!
Old March 21st, 2022, 06:27 AM
Frank Ignachuck

Update: Thanks for giving me the opportunity/reason for an early morning ride around town. I tried various situations, and I didn't experience anything unusual with the transmission in neutral . I agree with Ozzie's suggestion about a fluid change. It might just loosen up whatever is sticking.
Old March 21st, 2022, 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by ignachuck
Hmmm. Very interesting question. I have a '56 which was the first year of the Jetaway.. That first year, the Jetaway had problems but by 1958 the problems were corrected. So when you say "changes up and down as it should" that's a very good sign. I've never put mine in neutral while driving around, but I'll try that out the next time I go for a ride. As a matter of fact, that gives me a good reason to take out the Super 88 tomorrow! Thanks! By the way, very nice car!
thanks , that would be great , have never noticed before as always stopped in park.
Brownie
Old March 21st, 2022, 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by ignachuck
Update: Thanks for giving me the opportunity/reason for an early morning ride around town. I tried various situations, and I didn't experience anything unusual with the transmission in neutral . I agree with Ozzie's suggestion about a fluid change. It might just loosen up whatever is sticking.
Its always great ta take em for a spin 😁 thanks for doing that ....appreciated 👍 fluid is near new , by the looks I need to fix it .....will start it in park 😊😊👍
Old March 21st, 2022, 02:57 PM

Jetaway expert

Originally Posted by Ozzie
As far as I know, it shouldn't do it. After Frank checks his, he can tell you what he found. If it has been a long time since the fluid has been changed (over 25,000 miles) you could try doing a complete fluid change (about 11 quarts) using the correct fluid. Sometimes fresh fluid can work wonders loosening up something that's sticking a little. It sounds like the neutral clutch may not be releasing completely, but a Jetaway expert could probably give a better diagnosis.
yes please ...it would be great to hear from an expert on the trans 👍
Old March 24th, 2022, 06:02 PM

Thumbs up Lhd

Originally Posted by Olds64
Beautiful Olds! I hope Frank, Ozzie and others give you some good info.

I noticed you were on the passenger's side in the photo and that you're in New Zealand. Post some more pics of your Olds when you get a chance. I'd love to see some pics of the right hand drive setup!
Hi There , the Olds is still Left hand hook as was imported into New Zealand a few years back , had a frame off tidy up , is a nice car to drive and could just imagine cruising down the long straight highways of the USA ....its great ta have somebody ya trust in the shotgun seat when overtaking