4 to 5 speed conversion? 1966 442

Search this Thread

Old June 26th, 2008, 08:54 PM

Question 4 to 5 speed conversion? 1966 442

Hello im restoring my 1966 olds 442 with a 400 engine, acctually I have a 4 speed manual transmission but I will like to have a new 5 speed transmission. I really dont have any Idea what kind of transmission can fit the car, does anyone has any experience with the conversion?

what about TREMEC transmiision are they a good choice?

thanks

Alex
Old June 27th, 2008, 07:18 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by 442 Guatemala
Hello im restoring my 1966 olds 442 with a 400 engine, acctually I have a 4 speed manual transmission but I will like to have a new 5 speed transmission. I really dont have any Idea what kind of transmission can fit the car, does anyone has any experience with the conversion?

what about TREMEC transmiision are they a good choice?

thanks

Alex
Tremec is definitely the way to go. Keisler makes a nice conversion kit:

http://www.keislerauto.com/index.php...id=20&Itemid=7
Old June 27th, 2008, 09:43 AM
car guy

I am using the TKO600 in my car. Watch my build thread and I will post the install and floor surgery that I do. There is nothing wrong with the kits out there but you can save a lot of $$ if you piece it together.

I have heard rumors of a new Muncie based 5 speed comming out that requires no floor surgery but I don't have any details on it.
Old June 27th, 2008, 03:01 PM

Thanks For the help

Can you tell me more about your TK600. If I put the TK600 what parts I have to modify in the car? what about the bellhousing? do I have to change the clutch? I allready have a new Mcloid Disc.

With the TK600 you have to modify the console, can I still using my Hurst stick?

can you give my the link to your build thread

thanks again
Old June 27th, 2008, 06:53 PM
car guy

Thanks For the help

Can you tell me more about your TK600. If I put the TK600 what parts I have to modify in the car? what about the bellhousing? do I have to change the clutch? I allready have a new Mcloid Disc.

With the TK600 you have to modify the console, can I still using my Hurst stick?

can you give my the link to your build thread

thanks again
https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...her-while.html

Yours will be a little easier swap since you are a 4-speed
already. Mine is a 2 speed column auto.

If you are not running a fine spline disk you will need to switch it. You need a shorter driveshaft and the new slip yoke. Bell housing is the same. You will need to move your crossmember back a little. I got a offset shifter so I can use a factory 4 speed console. You will not be able to use the factory shifter with the horizontal base but if you are running an aftermarket Hurst you can run the handle. My shifter is a modified version of the one that comes from Tremec on the transmissions. There is a trick one the Mccleod makes but its about 300.00 more for the same funtion I will have. My car is low so to keep the driveshaft phased I will need the tailshaft pretty high. That will require a good bit of surgery for me. I will probably get my console mounted and cut and raise the hump all the way to the back seat. If your car is close to stock ride height you will not need near as much cutting. Only enough to clear the transmission case.
Old July 1st, 2008, 11:36 AM

Thanks for the tips, It sound like is a lot of work to do. Im going to wait untill you pos all your transmission work so I can look how yuo do it.

I also want to find more information about the 5 speed muncie.

Another question I have a 3.90 rear end ratio, if I change the transmission I also have to change the rear end ratio? what happen if I only change the rear end and keep the same 4 speed, its a good idea?

thanks
Old July 1st, 2008, 12:09 PM
car guy

I will be running a 3.73 with a 27" tall tire with mine. You can go to the richmond gear website and there are several calculators so you can play with different ratios to see what the outcome would be. Personally I would keep the 3.90 and add the overdrive.

I should be starting back on mine soon. I spent the last week cleaning up and reorganizing the shop. I should be a lot more efficient getting some work done.
Old July 10th, 2008, 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by gearheads78
I will be running a 3.73 with a 27" tall tire with mine. You can go to the richmond gear website and there are several calculators so you can play with different ratios to see what the outcome would be. Personally I would keep the 3.90 and add the overdrive.

I should be starting back on mine soon. I spent the last week cleaning up and reorganizing the shop. I should be a lot more efficient getting some work done.
I found some information about the 5 speed Muncie, is the following:

We are working on a five speed Muncie replacement ('Syracuse') that will add an overdrive to the M22 and M22W platforms, that is, the ratios and gear data for the five-speed will be the same as our heavy-duty four-speeds in the lower four gears, with an overdrive top. Prototyping and the decline of the US dollar against the Euro have us reworking the castings and looking at several more economical design elements, so we don't expect any assemblies to be available before early '09.

Other than the 'Syracuse', I know of no other five-speed that will not require chassis modification or drivetrain 're-balancing'; if that presents no problems, the Tremec TKO would be an option.

I really dont know what Syracuse means?? and I dont know if my muncie es M20, M21 or M22 how do I know that??

I want to ask you did you know if is possible to install a T56 in the olds???
Where did you buy your Tremec transmission??

thanks
Old July 10th, 2008, 04:15 PM
car guy

I found some information about the 5 speed Muncie, is the following:

We are working on a five speed Muncie replacement ('Syracuse') that will add an overdrive to the M22 and M22W platforms, that is, the ratios and gear data for the five-speed will be the same as our heavy-duty four-speeds in the lower four gears, with an overdrive top. Prototyping and the decline of the US dollar against the Euro have us reworking the castings and looking at several more economical design elements, so we don't expect any assemblies to be available before early '09.

Other than the 'Syracuse', I know of no other five-speed that will not require chassis modification or drivetrain 're-balancing'; if that presents no problems, the Tremec TKO would be an option.

I really dont know what Syracuse means?? and I dont know if my muncie es M20, M21 or M22 how do I know that??

I want to ask you did you know if is possible to install a T56 in the olds???
Where did you buy your Tremec transmission??

thanks
The M22 is a close ratio HD muncie with almost straight cut gears. 90+% of all Muncies you see will be just a std m20/m21 variety. M22s are rare and can be big $$

T56 can be installed but requires just as much sheet metal work.
My TKO600 came from Frank @ GP superstore

Here is a guy that went with a T56
Old July 12th, 2008, 08:49 AM

If your main concern is a good, widely spaced set of ratios, consider the Jerico 4 speed (www.jericoperformance.com) with their road race synchros (not drag synchros if you want to be able to downshift). Very little work to fit it and it is immensely strong, commonly used in NHRA S and SS. I have 4.86 with 30" tires and a 3.08 first gear Jerico.
Old July 14th, 2008, 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by Run to Rund
If your main concern is a good, widely spaced set of ratios, consider the Jerico 4 speed (www.jericoperformance.com) with their road race synchros (not drag synchros if you want to be able to downshift). Very little work to fit it and it is immensely strong, commonly used in NHRA S and SS. I have 4.86 with 30" tires and a 3.08 first gear Jerico.
Thanks for the info. but the problem I see is that your 4th is 1 to 1, so the car is going to be in a high RPM range???? is like having my 4 speed muncie???
Old July 14th, 2008, 06:39 PM

You pick a mild rear end gear and a very steep first gear to get the overall first gear ratio you want. My setup gives 14.97 to 1. A M21 muncie with 2.20 first and 3.91 gears has a first gear of 8.6. With a 3.08 first gear, you could use a rear end ratio of 2.79 and have the same overall first gear of 8.6. Fourth gear being 1:1 is not a problem with such a mild diff gear. Actually I would suggest a first gear around 10:1 which with a Muncie M21 would mean 10/2.2 = 4.54 ratio in the diff (you would use 4.56 gears). If instead you used a Jerico with 3.08 first gear, you would have 10:1 with a 3.25 rear gear (3.23 is the closest available).
My car runs 111 mph at 6000 rpm with the Jerico 3.08 and 4.86 rear end gears, 30" tall tire. The tire diameter you select has a major effect, just like gears. Once you pick a decent set of gears and tranny, you can fine tune with tire diameter.