200R4 Speedometer gear swap

Search this Thread

Old June 25th, 2016, 10:16 AM

200R4 Speedometer gear swap

Hi all.

Got my Delta back and just cleaning up some issues.

I know I have to drop the pan and drop the governor plate to get the speedometer gear on the governor.

I've never opened a trans before and the trans is going to be in the car for this. Everything looks pretty easy (famous last words, I know) but what about the pan gasket? Fel-Pro has a rubber gasket. Do I need RTV with that? any tips or tricks to install this since I'll be working under the car? How much fluid will I lose?

The other gear, I've done before
Old June 25th, 2016, 01:00 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Redog
How much fluid will I lose?
All of it, so plan on replacing the filter at the same time. Get a BIG drain pan, as it will make a mess.
Old June 27th, 2016, 06:05 AM

http://m.homedepot.com/p/Plasgad-Black-Large-Concrete-Mixing-Tub-887102C/205451585?cm_mmc=Shopping%7cTHD%7cG%7c0%7cG-BASE-PLA-AllProducts%7c&gclid=i&gclsrc=aw.ds

I use one of these to catch Trans fluid when pulling the pan. It is pretty cheap and big enough to catch most of it. I use a fiber gasket. Make sure your pan rail is flat and the trans case is wiped down and doesn't have debris on it. . You might want to pick up a governor cover gasket
Old June 27th, 2016, 07:12 AM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
All of it, so plan on replacing the filter at the same time. Get a BIG drain pan, as it will make a mess.
How much is "All of it?"

I have 6 quarts at home, I know it's more than 6 quarts
Old June 27th, 2016, 07:16 AM

Originally Posted by TexasT
http://m.homedepot.com/p/Plasgad-Black-Large-Concrete-Mixing-Tub-887102C/205451585?cm_mmc=Shopping%7cTHD%7cG%7c0%7cG-BASE-PLA-AllProducts%7c&gclid=i&gclsrc=aw.ds

I use one of these to catch Trans fluid when pulling the pan. It is pretty cheap and big enough to catch most of it. I use a fiber gasket. Make sure your pan rail is flat and the trans case is wiped down and doesn't have debris on it. . You might want to pick up a governor cover gasket
Okay, I'll look into that.

The kit I got has a filter too. It's a "Pro-King" set. It's all made in China which I do not like

It's a rubber gasket. Do I need RTV? I was going to use a little bit, just to act like glue to hold the gasket in place while I bring the pan back up
Old June 27th, 2016, 07:17 AM
Old(s) Fart

How much is "All of it?"

I have 6 quarts at home, I know it's more than 6 quarts
Actually with a filter change you're probably looking at only five quarts. Six would should be enough to have on hand, unless you have an aftermarket pan.
Old June 27th, 2016, 07:22 AM
Old(s) Fart

Okay, I'll look into that.

The kit I got has a filter too. It's a "Pro-King" set. It's all made in China which I do not like

It's a rubber gasket. Do I need RTV? I was going to use a little bit, just to act like glue to hold the gasket in place while I bring the pan back up
No RTV needed. Be sure the pan rail is flat, however. If the bolts have been over-torqued, the rail gets dimpled at the bolt holes, which leads to leaks. You can hammer it back flat if needed. I don't even like to use hi-tack on the gasket because it makes cleanup more difficult next time (did I mention I was lazy?). One trick I've learned is to use sewing thread to tie the gasket to the pan through a few of the bolt holes. The thread doesn't affect sealing and there's no scraping and cleanup next time.
Old July 20th, 2016, 01:34 PM

Using thread is a neat trick. However, doesn't the gasket usually have holes just small enough to hold a few bolts in place (without them dropping out) as you raise the pan into place and start 2 or more of those bolts?

Personally, I'm going to invest in a pan with a drain plug for my next filter replacement. I have a large drain pan, but it still can make quite a mess unless you are VERY careful when releasing the last bolts and keeping the pan (heavy with fluid nearly to the top lip) balanced while lowering it.