200-4r Yoke Problems

Search this Thread

Old October 3rd, 2010, 05:16 PM

200-4r Yoke Problems

Help!! I have installed a Bowtie Overdrives 200-4r Stage 2 transmission into my 67 Cutlass. The car originally had a 2 speed transmission (TH200?? not sure really) and I was told that these transmissions shared the same yoke. N that I may actually be able to use the driveshaft out of the previous transmission. Before I installed the trans I made sure the yoke had the same spline and it fit in, but I guess I didn't check how far into the trans it would go. NOW!!! My problem is the yoke doesn't seem to fit far enough in the transmission. It seems to only go in about an inch and a half. Seems like it should go in further. So I tried another yoke out of a TH350 and I have the same out come. Below is a picture! Help and Advice Please!!!

Old October 3rd, 2010, 06:59 PM

Looking on Bowtie Overdrives Website, they sell two driveshaft yokes. One has a description of a Outside Snap Ring and the other has an Inside Snap Ring.....are they talking about the universal joint or the spline slip part that moves in and out of the transmission? Anyone know what the outside diameter of the yoke should be?! I'm thinking the yoke can't slide in because of the oil-lite bushing that lubricates the yoke. Anyone have any problems like this?
Old October 3rd, 2010, 08:13 PM
Seasoned beater pilot.

As far as I know, the th350, 200c 2004r and 700r4 all use the same yoke and it should slide all the way in. Maybe your output shaft is screwed up.
Old October 4th, 2010, 07:47 AM

Were the transmissions the same length?...looks like you need to lengthen the driveshaft...not a big deal..
Old October 4th, 2010, 08:26 AM

Make sure the yoke slides in by itself, all the way!
If it does, you need to lengthen the driveshaft a few inches -
Call a driveshaft company and they'll give you the way to measure it correctly.
Old October 4th, 2010, 08:30 AM
Old(s) Fart

The original two speed trans is an ST300. It is the same overall length as the 200-4R. The yoke should be the same as well.

I'm not sure what you are trying to show in the photo. What are the two yokes from? When you say it only goes in 1.5 inches, does the yoke bottom at that point? Try polishing the outside of the yoke, since that can cause the yoke to stick in the output bushing. Did you lube the yoke when you tried to install it? does the driveshaft fit with the yoke that far in, or does the yoke need to go further for the driveshaft to fit? How far did the yoke go into the ST300?

I assume you moved the trans crossmember back to the TH400 position when you installed the 200-4R, correct?

And the most important question:

Did you change the rear axle somewhere in the process?
Old October 4th, 2010, 11:11 AM

Good Questions Joe! The two yokes are from the original driveshaft out of my 2 speed trans (which I now know is ST300) and the other is from a TH350. The yoke only goes into the trans Inch and a Half. It doesn't seem to bottom out but more like get Jammed!!! Polishing it is something I didn't think of! Just thought I had the wrong Yokes or something, and I will lube it also. The crossmember is in the TH400 spot and everything else has worked great. The driveshaft appears to be the right length if the yoke was to go in futher. The yoke on the left of the picture is the one that can out of the ST300, which you can see goes in the trans futher by the polished part.
Polsihing the yoke is gonna be the Key!!!
Old October 6th, 2010, 04:43 AM

Well I polished the crap out of the first yoke and still had problems installing the Yoke! So I polished some more and put a little extra trans fluid on it, Still No Dice! So out of frustration and curiousness, I pulled out my rubber mallet and tapped a couple times so lightly! Pop! The yoke slid in so nicely! Seems to have a spot that hangs up the yoke when installed, like its air locking or something. So then I tried to install my old driveshaft out of the original 2 speed trans, Perfect Fit!!! Tomorrow I have the driveshaft dropped off for balancing and new U-Joints!!! Thanks for everyone's help!!!
Ken
Old October 6th, 2010, 07:15 AM
Old(s) Fart

Congrats, Ken. I've had this same problem before, and I've also had to use the "fine adjustment hammer".
Old October 6th, 2010, 12:26 PM

Now that I have a driveshaft that fits, I have some concerns. First one, the driveshaft I'm going to use is a two piece w rubber, will this twist easily? Second, What can I do to upgrade it w/o buying a custom made one? I measured the length, 60 3/4 in from center of U-joint to center of U-joint. I know that that some 94-newier GM full size and GM 2wd trucks came w/ aluminum driveshafts, anyone know where I could find lengths of these shafts? Maybe even a 96 caprice station wagon or Vista Cursier driveshaft.....I would like aluminum and one piece!!! What do you guys think?
Old October 6th, 2010, 02:12 PM

See my response on your driveshaft thread. What I now worry about is whether you might have a yoke too fat for your sleeve bushing in the tailhousing, a bad bushing, or whether you might have knocked it out of its mounting area. Also, could your output shaft be slightly twisted? Could be just varnish from the prevous owner not changing fluid. Was there evidence of crud on the yoke when you pulled it back out?
Old October 6th, 2010, 05:43 PM

Run to Rund, I polished both the yokes and even though they fit tight the first couple times, they now fit great. Still has a tight spot but once it makes it past that it fits fine. I bought the trans over 3 years ago and in the car only 1, and its brand new! The outside of the yoke had no sign of a scratch to where it may have been hanging up. What I figure, the spline is a tight fit and makes it kinda air tight til it goes in enough to pop the air out of the back of the yoke. Either way, with a little in and out the yoke fits tight(like it should) and now moves like it should. Think everything was fine, just some gunk on the outside of the yoke and the bushing never seeing a yoke. Thanks for the concern.
By the way I've seen your car at the last couple nationals, Soo Cool! Yours and Tweed's cars are so cool! Wished it didn't rain in NY on the Sunday after the nationals because I was looking forward to seeing those cars run!! I'd like to see Curt Anderson's 442much one day!
Ken
Old October 15th, 2023, 07:54 AM

200r4 slip yoke

Just installed a 200r4 in my ‘67 El Camino Slip yoke barrel is 3-1/2” long but 1-1/2” of barrel out of trans ( 2” in ) Will not go in any further even tapping with plastic hammer! I think there is a burr or twist on mainshaft splines…. Is 2” enough in the trans?
when putting driveshaft in then pulling back into rear yoke only have about 1/2” play…that bothers me! Thoughts? Thank you!