200-4r pressure test strange issue

Search this Thread

Old October 7th, 2020, 02:42 PM

200-4r pressure test strange issue

When doing the full TV check with cable pulled tight and engine running at 10000 rpm I cant shift out of park, it's stuck. Shut the engine off and shifts normally, and works good when driving at all power levels. Problem with the throttle valve?
Old November 30th, 2020, 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by Grumbler
When doing the full TV check with cable pulled tight and engine running at 10000 rpm I cant shift out of park, it's stuck. Shut the engine off and shifts normally, and works good when driving at all power levels. Problem with the throttle valve?
Please tell me that 10000 RPM's is a misprint! There are a couple of good you tube videos that address how to properly set up the TV Cable.
The cable should NOT be pulled tight at idle! It should have a little bit of slack! Tight only at WOT (Wide Open Throttle)
My 85 Cutlass had a broken TV Cable, the car would run and drive, but it also shifted really early, and this was not good for Drag Racing. When I replaced the cable, there was no play in it, and I did some troubleshooting... When I dropped the trans pan, I found the actuator lever completely sprung past the valve and the valve was stuck out past the travel distance. I removed/ reinstalled the lever, and set the valve at .840" maximum extension (I think or something really close to that as prescribed in the video) I set the TV Cable to to the Edelbrock carb and added a geometry corrector to the carb ($15 at Pep Boys) Car shifts perfectly,( Up and Down) perhaps still a little early for drag racing, but definite improvement! I went from a low 16.00 in the 1/4 to mid 14's! Please check out the videos, one talks about 700 r4 trans as well, the set up is pretty much the same. *Jeff
Old November 30th, 2020, 06:44 PM

D'oh! Yes that's a misprint, should be 1000 rpm.
The tv cable is set up correctly, it drives and shifts well with no issues. I decided to do the pressure test after I modified the governor weights to shift higher from stock, it now shifts at 5000 which I'm happy with.
I did the test at zero tv and the numbers were good in all gears, when i did the full tv check i got 275 psi in park and couldn't move the shifter. I did not try to force it
Old December 1st, 2020, 05:58 AM

Don't try to shift *while* the cable is pulled.
Set high idle, car in park, pull cable check pressure. Let go of cable, shift to R, pull cable, check pressure. Let go of cable, shift to N, etc etc etc.
Old December 1st, 2020, 11:03 AM

Yes I've seen that method as well , I'll try it that way next time. I was using the procedure from the CK Performance manual which says to tie off the tv cable.
Cars apart right now for the winter, I'll report back in a few months with results, thanks for the replies!