1972 TH350 Kickdown Cable LEAK

Search this Thread

Old August 24th, 2020, 04:24 PM

1972 TH350 Kickdown Cable LEAK

So my 1972 has had a trans leak so i ordered a thicker pan gasket and it was still leaking after. Put the car on jacks and was able to trace the leak down to the kickdown cable. Removed the cable and the o-ring was badly damaged. Tried a few different o-rings from a store bought multi pack and it still leaked. Ordered a new kickdown cable from the parts place and it comes with no o-ring. Contacted them and they said the cable does not come with an o-ring. Som back to my multi pack to find a combination of something to fit. Installed it and it sat for a few days and no leaks. Take it out for a ride today and after i parked it its leaking again. I know its not the trans cooler lines as the papertowel i stuff in there gets wet at the bottom by the kickdown cable only. What do i need to do to seal this up?
Old August 25th, 2020, 06:58 AM

The cases tend to get goobered up in that area, so sealing can be difficult. I *think* there are top-hat looking seals for the kickdown. My favorite sites for random trans parts are PATC (transmissioncenter.net) and http://www.transmissionpartsusa.com
e.g,, here's one of those seals:
http://www.transmissionpartsusa.com/...-000047265.htm
Sometimes you have to commit the cardinal sin of slathering the thing with RTV.......
Old August 25th, 2020, 07:10 AM

The “top hat” style seal is a little more forgiving, but unless the case is really screwed up the o-ring style should seal.

Go to your nearest transmission shop with the cable in hand. I’m guessing someone there can help. If they don’t have one, you can order the seals thru TransStar Industry. If no shop can help locally, I’ll look thru my catalog later and see what I can find.

I’d be a little worried about trying to use a o-ring assortment pack from the parts stores. The seal needs to be the right thickness, inside/outside diameter, and hold up to transmission fluid.

if all else fails, a little silicone might fix it.