1969 Olds Toronado Transmission Information

Search this Thread

Old January 3rd, 2007, 10:47 PM

1969 Olds Toronado Transmission Information

I have a '69 toronado engine and transmission and the flywheel seems to have come loose (didn't know that could happen). I'm assuming it's the flywheel. I can reach in next to the starter and spin it by hand.

I'm not much of a transmission man, so I wonder if anyone can describe or better yet direct me to an exploded view of the lh425 transmission that the '69 toronado engine is mated to. I need to figure out how to reinstall the flywheel, so I can get her running again.
Old January 4th, 2007, 02:44 AM
Tom Servo's Stunt Double

I'm thinking a Chassis Service Manual is in order here. You can find them on ebay for around $25-30 and (I think) Year One sells reprints.

Maybe somebody here has one for a 69 and can scan a few pages for you?

C.J.
Old January 4th, 2007, 07:05 AM

Toro problem

Hi Lou
Can you remove the inspection cover that is under the flywhee/torque converter? There should be four small bolts that hold it on. My concern is that if it came loose while the motor was running was there something damaged? There are three bolts that hold the flexplate to the torque converter then six that hold the flexplate (automatic flywheel) to the engine. I had one bolt fall out of the flexplate to torque converter once and it made a really bad knock. But if you can spin the flexplate, the one with teeth for the starter to turn, then the six bolts came out of the flexplate to crankshaft connection. I have a hard time picturing this happening without tearing something up. You can replace/tighten the 3 bolts that hold the flexplate to torque converter(rounded bottom, several inches thick) through the inspection cover access. But the six flexplate to crankshaft connection will require pulling the engine. I agree with C.J. if your going to keep the car buying a Chassis service manual would be a great investment. John
Old January 4th, 2007, 01:01 PM

Inspection Cover suggestion

That sounds like a plan. I guess I was lucky because the flywheel came loose when the engine wasn't running so things may not be too bad. I'll have a look at the situation when it stops snowing here.

I'll check ebay for the shop manual, because I'm definitely keeping this car.

Thanks,
Lou
Old January 4th, 2007, 02:42 PM
Tom Servo's Stunt Double

If you got a "keeper", then let me suggest:

Chassis Service Manual
Fisher Body Manual
Assembly Manual.

An investment of around $100 and you can take it down to nuts and bolts and put it back together....correctly!

C.J.