question about radiator - 1978 Toronado

Search this Thread

Old May 22nd, 2017, 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by vistacruiser1971
NM has some nice looking plates. I like the red letters on yours to coordinate with the car.
Good eye on that!

New Mexico gives you a choice of two plates, the standard red and yellow "sunburst" plate and the blue and yellow "centennial" plate, which they're still offering even though the centennial was five years ago. I think the current version of the centennial plate has the centennial wording at the top removed.

Anyway, I deliberately did choose the red/yellow one because I thought it would look much better on the car. NM does not require a front plate, so I put a model year plate there so people are less likely to ask me, at least if they see the front of the car first.

Old May 23rd, 2017, 01:30 PM
Olds Collector

Hello: Thanks for the update. Glad you got the pin striping wired. I am confused by the rear bumper fillers on the car since I see space between the chrome bumper ends and the body where the fillers normally go. They should be painted with the body or at the same time to match paint. Aftermarket fillers are usually ABS plastic which don't flex like the originals so don't need the special flex paint added to the filler paint. Yes there is a pad on the chrome bumper which might fill that space, but the space between the metal bumper and body should be filled with body color. Standard Toro wheels have the same air valve. The chrome wheels are the same as standard wheels except for the finish. My guess is that some previous owner either chromed the original wheels or added earlier wheels. My memory says that early Toros had the chrome wheel option, but it was not offered on the 71 up cars. Not sure tho. Very early wheels will not clear disk brake calipers. I suggest using your full covers on the existing wheels which are likely the original hub caps. Great to watch your rapid progress on this Olds. Keep us posted on the next one!! Regards, Trent in Los Angeles
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
toronado 78 rear.jpg (394.3 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg
toronado 78 rear 2.jpg (10.6 KB, 5 views)

Last edited by vistacruiser1971; May 23rd, 2017 at 01:39 PM.
Old May 23rd, 2017, 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by vistacruiser1971
I am confused by the rear bumper fillers on the car since I see space between the chrome bumper ends and the body where the fillers normally go
They are separate pieces. The fillers between the taillights and the rear fenders are separate from the filler that runs along the length of rear bumper between the bumper and the base of the trunk lid. That long piece is in good shape and is still on the car. The two end pieces rotted away and are missing, and I purchased these fillers to replace them. This is the link for the left one.

http://www.replica-plastics.com/prod...quarter-panel/

I've heard good and bad things about fiberglass fillers. But that's what I bought, and that's what I gave to the shop yesterday. He didn't make a face when he saw them and what they're made of, so I'm assuming he doesn't anticipate a problem.

Here's a closer view of the back end of the car as it currently looks. The filler between the trunk lid and the bumper looks pretty good. Just needs a little cleaning. The end pieces are missing.

Old June 27th, 2017, 04:55 PM

Progress Report

Stopped by the paint shop today and took a few photos of the work in progress. It sure is nice not see all that surface rust any more. He thought maybe another 1.5 to two weeks before I could have it back.

Old July 10th, 2017, 03:04 PM

The car is back from the paint shop. Rather than post the photos here, which is a thread that really started out being about the cooling system, I started a new thread.

Check it out. I think it looks fantastic. But I'm biased!

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...aint-shop.html