For Trofeo People Kid's New Car

Search this Thread

Old November 12th, 2016, 06:01 PM

For Trofeo People Kid's New Car

My son finally has an Olds of his own. 50 thou original miles very clean but headliner and board shot so will be needing that and driver's seat repairs. Just picked it up today. 1991 model
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
trofeo.jpg (231.2 KB, 71 views)
Old November 12th, 2016, 06:48 PM

Nice! Love those cars. When my parents got theirs I did not like it but it grew on me over the years. I think they had the last of the great interiors to be found in modern cars. Does it have the touch screen option? That was a little more common in 92 but was available in 90 and 91.
Just an FYI, If you find an electrical gremlin it may be the instrument panel. Now and then these cars had to have the panel sent off to be repaired. The touch screen option had the same problem.
Old November 12th, 2016, 07:29 PM
Olds Fever

Nice choice of Olds history... I presently have two 1992 Trofeos, one maroon (61K miles) and one white (99K miles)... I also stripped a wrecked 1990 Trofeo for parts in case I may need something in the future to maintain the other two...
Old November 13th, 2016, 04:32 AM

Originally Posted by jensenracing77
Does it have the touch screen option? That was a little more common in 92 but was available in 90 and 91.
Hey, no touch screen or digital dash which may be a good thing. Worst thing is the headliner at this point. The fiberglass board seems too ragged to recover.
Old November 13th, 2016, 04:34 AM

Originally Posted by CRUZN 66
Nice choice of Olds history... I presently have two 1992 Trofeos, one maroon (61K miles) and one white (99K miles)...
Very cool. This one is silver with the grey leather interior.
Old November 13th, 2016, 04:53 AM
Getting There

always thought those were classy looking
Old November 13th, 2016, 03:35 PM
Olds Fever

Originally Posted by Oldsmaniac
Worst thing is the headliner at this point. The fiberglass board seems too ragged to recover.
A good upholstery shop may be able to repair the headliner board using epoxy resin and fiber cloth... I had one for a G-Body repaired that way, but it was only the front corners that were broke...
Old November 14th, 2016, 04:45 AM

A good upholstery shop may be able to repair the headliner board using epoxy resin and fiber cloth...
Thanks, will have to check that possibility and also keep checking the local yards however slim that may be, for a replacement. This one has a few missing pieces and is quite flimsy and cracked. The guy who sold us the car removed it himself with not much care and even the clips are missing.
Old November 14th, 2016, 05:31 AM

Very cool! We look forward to seeing more pics once you and your son detail it.
Old November 14th, 2016, 05:36 AM

Originally Posted by Olds64
Very cool! We look forward to seeing more pics once you and your son detail it.
Thanks, funny the car seems new to me to my kid who was born in 1993 its a classic. Guess I'm old!
Old November 14th, 2016, 07:50 AM
Olds Fever

Thanks, will have to check that possibility and also keep checking the local yards however slim that may be, for a replacement. This one has a few missing pieces and is quite flimsy and cracked. The guy who sold us the car removed it himself with not much care and even the clips are missing.
If by chance you can't find another headliner and yours can't be repaired, I might still have the one I removed from my 1990 parts car, however it is blue and would have to be recovered to match the gray interior... Don't know how far you are willing to travel to obtain one, but mine is in the Albany, NY area... As for the clips you mention, IIRC, there are very few if any used... Velcro may have been used the same as the Cutlass W-Body headliner...
Old November 14th, 2016, 09:35 AM

If by chance you can't find another headliner and yours can't be repaired, I might still have the one I removed from my 1990 parts car, however it is blue and would have to be recovered to match the gray interior...
That's a possibility, Thanks! Will keep it in mind. Have to talk with an upholstery shop anyway to have the driver's seat recovered and will see what he says. My son is on a junkyard hunt this afternoon but doubt he will see anything.
Old November 16th, 2016, 06:34 PM

Another picture and still needing a headliner should anyone know of a parts car please let me know.
Attached Images
trofeo1.jpg (122.8 KB, 28 views)
Old November 16th, 2016, 06:49 PM

Another picture and still needing a headliner should anyone know of a parts car please let me know.
I am almost sure I have a good used nose emblem if you want it. They fell off all the time so I collected them from junk yards when I seen them. I am sure I have one left. I will be gone till next week but if you want it them PM me your address.
Old November 16th, 2016, 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by jensenracing77
I am almost sure I have a good used nose emblem if you want it.
Thanks for the offer, my son bought one from Ebay while we were trailering the car home! Funny there is not even a trace of glue where the original one was...
Old November 17th, 2016, 05:54 PM
344879M363895

Nice to see something different on here. Looks to be in really good shape. Were you looking hard for one or did you just bump into this? The miles are great too. Post some interior pics when you get a chance. I can't say I've ever seen the inside of one of these.
Old November 17th, 2016, 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by 70-442-W30
Nice to see something different on here. Looks to be in really good shape. Were you looking hard for one or did you just bump into this? The miles are great too. Post some interior pics when you get a chance. I can't say I've ever seen the inside of one of these.
The body and paint are about a 9 while the interior a 5 due to headliner and torn driver's seat. We paid 2800 for it which we thought was fair. My sons friend just got a low mile 1988 Cutlass FWD and he loves it. My daughters friend has a 91 and a 92 Olds 98 and he found this Trofeo on craigslist. My son took and interest and I followed so thus we went for it.
Old November 18th, 2016, 08:38 AM
Olds Fever

Originally Posted by 70-442-W30
Post some interior pics when you get a chance. I can't say I've ever seen the inside of one of these.
Not to hijack, but here are a few photos of one of my Trofeo interiors... My other Trofeo has Maroon interior...

Old November 18th, 2016, 06:02 PM
Oldsdruid

Classy ride. Always liked the 90-92 long-tails. 86-89 not so much- too stubby. Count yourself lucky it doesn't have the digital dash.
Old November 18th, 2016, 06:18 PM

I will try to get a couple of picts of the interior also. We bought it from a guy who only owned it a year but did not do anything to it but dirty up the interior, it needs to be cleaned. You would not believe the trash that we removed from inside and the trunk. We did the history report on it and all checked out well. Car was put to bed shortly after initial purchase then there was a burst of miles then it was sold.
Old November 26th, 2016, 02:50 PM

Well we drug home another one for parts! Realizing the headliner card would be very difficult to find intact and the right color leather seats, my son came across this 91.It has high miles, 200,000 but really nice grey interior. The hood and driver's fender are crunched. It leaks brake fluid and the muffler is shot. The clear coat is peeling. The windshield weatherstrip is missing and silicone has been applied. It will yield all the interior parts needed and some other misc items. We will save the rest for spares and little will be left for scrap as these cars are scarce to find for parts. It does have the digital display but the screen has a lit line on it but does respond to touching. The car was in Ct, about 180 miles away.
Attached Images
trofeored.jpg (182.2 KB, 26 views)
Old November 26th, 2016, 03:08 PM
Olds Fever

Well we drug home another one for parts!
Congratulations on the parts car find, you are definitely fortunate to have found one so quickly... It looks just like my 92, better go out to the garage and make sure mine is still there...
Old November 26th, 2016, 03:23 PM

Thanks! We moved on it quick and my son was anxious to get the needed parts. He wanted to do so before registering and plating it. Now he has to move swapping parts before the real cold sets in. Among the seats and headliner he needed the power antenna, gas door release, some console parts and all the hardware for mounting headliner/dome lights etc. His also has an issue with the headlight doors, they are hesitant and go thru a lot of clicking after they open and close.... the parts car headlamp doors work perfectly.
Old December 9th, 2016, 05:33 PM

My son has been busy swapping parts from the maroon parts car to his silver Trofeo, its coming along nicely.
Attached Images
IMG_2296-1.jpg (264.5 KB, 19 views)
IMG_2259.jpg (200.1 KB, 17 views)
IMG_2294-1.jpg (270.2 KB, 20 views)
IMG_2292-1.jpg (269.0 KB, 19 views)
Old December 19th, 2016, 04:24 PM
Forward into the Past

Nice catch on the parts car. Sounds like it's got just about everything you'll need to quickly get the silver one up to snuff.
Old December 19th, 2016, 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by Human
Nice catch on the parts car. Sounds like it's got just about everything you'll need to quickly get the silver one up to snuff.
Thanks, yep everything is about swapped over. He wants to do the Radio/casette deck next which he got on ebay. The one in the silver car thinks it has a tape in it and wont play. You can stick a pencil in there to release a switch and get the radio to play but as soon as the radio is off and turned back on it goes into the stuck tape mode. Since the parts car has te touch scrren there is no radio in there to swap over to his non touch screen Trofeo.