In search for a 68 Toro gas tank

Search this Thread

Old September 13th, 2010, 10:05 PM

In search for a 68 Toro gas tank

Does anyone know where I can get a used fuel tank, replacement tank? I have searched high and low and have had no luck.... Seems like a would have better luck finding a needle in a hayh stack.
Old September 14th, 2010, 02:11 AM

whats the matter with ur tank...is it gone oder just rusty as hell?
Old October 28th, 2010, 08:07 PM

I pulled the tank out of my '68 for inspection (sending unit resistance zero, turns out the solder had vibrated loose and opened the circuit) and feared that after 6 years without running it would be a rusted-out basket case.

Not so! Galvanized steel for the win! Filler neck had a bit of rust in it but once I pulled the sender and had a look it the rest of the tank was just fine inside. No rust at all. Flecks of the disintegrated fuel strainer all over the bottom of the tank but no rust. Cleaned and repainted and just fine now.

Have you opened yours up and given it a look?

If it is shot, try InLine Tube. They fabricate new tanks, and their prices aren't totally unreasonable. The only diff between the Toronado tank and any other GM full-size car tank is the filler neck and they'll fabricate one to spec. They've been a tremendous help with this resto- new stainless brake lines bent to a mix of specs (front brakes and suspension cann'd from a '77 Toro, keeping the stock setup in the rear,) new proportioning valve, new trans cooler lines as well.
Old November 16th, 2010, 09:54 AM

Update

InLine Tube only has the correct tanks for GM A- and F-bodies. No support for the Toro/Riv/Eldo. I ordered a sending unit from them for a 68 Cutlass, assuming that GM would have used the same standardized tank depth and sealing ring diameter across their lines, since everything else they built at the time was an exercise in "platform prostitution."

The unit I received was an inch too shallow (meaning I can't access 4 gallons of gas at the bottom of the tank) and the sealing ring diameter was an inch too small. Trying to weight options right now: Refund the unit I have, adapt it to fit (I can machine a hole in the old sealing ring and braze the new one into it, extending the strainer pipe to pick up the full volume while I'm at it) or find a unit for a later model with the proper diameter and adapt the outlet and return lines. Do any of you gents happen to know what the sealing ring diameters are for other model years? the first and second-gen Toros have a 3.5" seal diameter.