Rusted out Drainage box

Search this Thread

Old May 12th, 2013, 12:25 PM
SJL

Rusted out Drainage box

I have realized I have a major issue. in the long term storage of the Toro the drain box at the base of the windshield is rusted out over top of the fuse box! I found the problem with my electricals and need to know if there is anyone who has had to fix this.

It rained yesterday and I realized the floor was wet from the drive to a car show. So now I have the source of 2 of the issues with this car.

Any help in a process to fix this would be appreciated.
Old May 18th, 2013, 01:19 PM
Mostly Gristle

Drainage box repair

Depending on how much of the car you have apart, or want to take apart, welding a new piece of metal in would be the best or most correct way to fix this.
That being said, it could also be effectively patched with fiberglass cloth and epoxy or fiberglass resin without taking as much of the dash apart.
I have the same issue on my '66 and have not yet decided how to fix it.
Check the rear drainage box too as these had hoses that clogged with leaves and the lower hoses were prone to rot which let the trunk drops fill with water.
Good luck!
David
Old May 18th, 2013, 02:35 PM
SJL

Thanks (I think) for the info. I seem to have both front and back drain issues. The trunk has some wetness as well. I think I'm taking it to the body shop and have them deal with it. I want to do it in metal so it looks factory. Can anyone send me pictures of a 1970 that is in good shapes for a pattern.
Old May 18th, 2013, 03:41 PM

Unless this is a 1 of 1 factory experimental Hurst Toronado, I think you are being too meticulous in seeking to make it indistinguishable from factory. Just fix it with metal if possible or fiberglass if welding is too much hassle... and call it good.