Question/ Guidance Request - Pertronix Ignition in 67 Toronado

Search this Thread

Old March 28th, 2014, 05:46 AM

Question/ Guidance Request - Pertronix Ignition in 67 Toronado

Hello All,
Wanted to ask for some guidance re converting to Pertronix ignition (going from stock distributor w points) in a 1967 Toronado. This is a very basic question but I have no knowledge base in this area!
So... If I am going with Pertronix what specific parts are needed/recommended for this Toro application.
Thanks!!
Old March 28th, 2014, 07:15 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Welcome Tom. We would like to see some pictures of your car but we will answer your questions (hopefully) anyway. Everything you need to install it comes in the box. It is an easy installation. Be careful not to drop any of the small screws inside the distributor. I changed the coil to a higher output coil and increased the plug gap a little. There has been a lot of discussion on here about the pros and cons of converting. You will not see an increase in performance but you will see quicker starting and less maintenance. I am a big fan of Pertronix.
Old March 28th, 2014, 10:11 PM
Administrator

Welcome Tom, x2 on the pictures. Just read and follow the directions, I find it easier to pull the distributor to work on it.
Old March 29th, 2014, 09:40 AM

Question

Originally Posted by TomType1
Hello All,
Wanted to ask for some guidance re converting to Pertronix ignition (going from stock distributor w points) in a 1967 Toronado. This is a very basic question but I have no knowledge base in this area!
So... If I am going with Pertronix what specific parts are needed/recommended for this Toro application.
Thanks!!

Welcome to classicoldsmobile, Tom!

I see absolutely NO reason to convert from points to Pertronix, if your points distributor and ignition are operating correctly. I had two 1967 Toronados, and they ran like a bear.....and just how many miles are you going to put on this car, anyway?? You won't be able to afford the PREMIUM LEADED fuel required for that 425!! You will probably never drive that car enough to substantiate a swap to another ignition system.....and, besides, the points ignition can be easily dealt with on the road, if you do have a problem; parts are readily available, but what do you do if the Pertronix fails?? JMO!
Old March 29th, 2014, 10:15 AM

You just need which ever unit you decide to use, you can also use there coil, you will need a o-ring for the dist and a can of carb cleaner to clean the dist before installing the new parts.
It is a worth while upgrade
Old March 29th, 2014, 11:01 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

I agree with R-body, but if you are really intent on making the change, just follow the directions in the box.
Pretty straightforward.

Welcome to ClassicOlds.

- Eric
Old March 29th, 2014, 11:28 AM
Phantom Phixer

Originally Posted by R-body_mopar
Welcome to classicoldsmobile, Tom!

I see absolutely NO reason to convert from points to Pertronix, if your points distributor and ignition are operating correctly. I had two 1967 Toronados, and they ran like a bear.....and just how many miles are you going to put on this car, anyway?? You won't be able to afford the PREMIUM LEADED fuel required for that 425!! You will probably never drive that car enough to substantiate a swap to another ignition system.....and, besides, the points ignition can be easily dealt with on the road, if you do have a problem; parts are readily available, but what do you do if the Pertronix fails?? JMO!
X3 here. Cost of a set of points $22. average suggested life of points 10,000 mi. (10 years @ 1,000 mi per year)
Cost of an electronic conversion $244
These were NAPA prices.

Last edited by Charlie Jones; March 29th, 2014 at 11:34 AM.
Old March 29th, 2014, 12:07 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

I think there was a thread on here recently about the poor quality of the points you get most places these days. If that is the case it makes a good point (good pun) for installing the Pertronix. The basic Pertronix is all he needs and it is nowhere close to $244. It is interesting this is always a debatable subject.
Old March 31st, 2014, 11:32 AM

Thanks for the dist. advice all
- just changed avatar to picture of the 67 Toronado.
Old March 31st, 2014, 07:56 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Nice car.

No offense, but it's prettier than the other picture.

- Eric
Old March 31st, 2014, 08:36 PM
Administrator

Very nice!
Old April 1st, 2014, 04:56 PM

Nice looking car and welcome to CO. I just switched to Pertronics in my car and it was straight forward. Agree with Eric that it is easier with the dizzy out of the car. I got a kick out of redoldsmans comment to not drop any screws down the dizzy. I changed my first set of points at 15 and dropped a screw. After trying to retrieve it a few minutes I figured no big deal and got another one out of the garage. Car made it almost a mile before the screw found the cam gear and sheared it off lesson learned
Old April 1st, 2014, 05:02 PM
major noob

Ouch lol I've had some close calls although it involved an egr nut Alost going in the intake
Old April 1st, 2014, 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by redoldsman
I think there was a thread on here recently about the poor quality of the points you get most places these days. If that is the case it makes a good point (good pun) for installing the Pertronix. The basic Pertronix is all he needs and it is nowhere close to $244. It is interesting this is always a debatable subject.
My last set of points went less than 4000 miles before the fiber contact wore down to the point they weren't opening far enough. But I went back with points again. Maybe next time, it's not a big deal one way or the other...Tedd
Old April 1st, 2014, 07:22 PM
Phantom Phixer

A little advice on buying parts for your ride, (whatever it is).
Avoid any place with "Discount" in the name.
Go to "where you get the good stuff".
You will pay more... it will be worth it!
Old April 1st, 2014, 07:48 PM
major noob

I have a nos stock set of blue streak points and another nos set starts with a b if anyone is interested 10 bucks each and the one set has a condenser