new owner 68 deluxe

Search this Thread

Old May 28th, 2012 | 10:53 AM

new owner 68 deluxe

Hello,

We just picked up a 68 toro for my 14 y/o son.

have to upload some shots so i can post up.

first thing we need to do is replace all the rubber seals on doors and trunk etc. i found one place but it seems expensive fusick out of ct.

besides ebay what are good sites to find regular stuff like rubber trim etc.

is there any place on the forum i should begin to read to brush up on things here so i do not ask too many questions that may have been answered?

also the car has not ran in ten years, and i know we need to get the gas out, and perhaps even have the tank cleaned out.

any place i can read up, and any advice from you folks is greatly appreciated.

Darren
Old May 28th, 2012 | 10:56 AM

also need the rubber that goes between the drain lines piping the flow out the bottom of the trunk. they are $65 on fusicks.

the rubber that vents into the door is also rotten.

i wonder if there is any other outlet/s for this kind of part?
Old May 28th, 2012 | 11:16 AM

last time we opened the trunk the lock stuck in the open position. we removed the lock and replaced the latching mechanism, but the key remains in the lock cylinder and it does not want to budge.

before removing the unit i did attempt to twist it back with vice grips and jiggling in an out, but no luck.

any ideas?
Old May 28th, 2012 | 11:25 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Metro is the best source for rubber, especially door seals, etc.

Fusick is probably the #1 Olds restoration supplier, but as such, they get those #1 prices.
They are also a source of accurate high-quality advice about their parts and Olds things in general, which is MUCH more than can be said for a lot of places.
They are the only place to get some stuff, but it's reasonable to try other places first, as Fusick won't be the cheapest.

That being said, there are other "cheap" suppliers, such as Brothers, which have worked hard to earn positively lousy reputations, and any savings from them is more than offset by the hassles you will encounter.

Aside from unique rubber, trim, and body parts, the vast majority of parts you will need can be gotten at your local auto parts store.

As for what to read, the Chassis Service Manual and Fisher Body Manual are probably the best source of almost any information you will need. the CSM for your year is available for free from WildAboutCars, as are the FBM from '67 and '70, which will help with most things.
Using the Search function on this site will probably yield the next-best amount of information, along with a quick perusal of the (mostly accurate) information under the Tech tab.

There are no comprehensive restoration guides, but Bill Trovato's book on performance engines is pretty good, as are a couple of books about QuadraJets (I forget the authors at the moment).

Finally, there are some folks on here who know everything, and are a really good source for solving those weird little mysteries.

Good luck, and welcome, to you and your son!

- Eric
Old May 28th, 2012 | 11:45 AM
Always room for one more

Welcome, and what a unique car for a 14yo. Hope he enjoys it.

Try Steele Rubber Products for the weatherstripping. They don't have everything but have good stuff and are decent to deal with.

Edit: Just looked them up, and found this under 1968 Oldsmobile.

Toronado 2dr hardtop - Basic Kit
  • Weatherstripping, trunk, FULL SIZE - 70-0773-84 - 1 ea.
  • Weatherstrip, Roof Rail over door - 82-0044-68 - 1 pr.
  • Weatherstrip, Door - 82-0050-72 - 1 pr.
  • Total Savings when these items purchased as a kit...$23.30

90-2040-90.....$ 209.50/set

Last edited by slantflat; May 28th, 2012 at 11:48 AM.
Old May 28th, 2012 | 11:57 AM
Oldsdruid

X2 on Steele, though I cannot say anything bad about Fusick. Also join the Toronado Owners Association www.toronado.org . They speak fluent Toro there and will probably be your best lead to find parts.

I own a 69 W34 which is very similar to your 68. I'll try to answer questions as I can.

You have a very unique car and not a lot of reproduction stuff made for it. What's available may tend to be expensive. You'll find the Toro shares more than you'd think with Cutlasses, and also 66-70 Buick Rivieras.

You can make a set of trunk drain tubes out of bicycle tire tubes, which is what most of us did until Fusick repopped them.

Spray that lock cylinder with WD40 and let it sit a while.

Does this car have dual exhaust and a notched bumper for tailpipes?
Old May 28th, 2012 | 12:12 PM

Does this car have dual exhaust and a notched bumper for tailpipes?

don't i wish, it does not have the w 34 option,

but i suppose we should dual it out, the current exhaust system is full of holes and hanging low.

now, it is worth ordering a system online or just take it to a mufflers shop?

for now its gonna be a frame on resto, basically just want to get it running properly and on the road, then we can set aside money for new paint.

the chrome is pretty decent. and the interior is really pretty clean, a couple of tears on the front corner of the drivers seat, a little bit of the headliner is coming loose at the back window/decklid (think we can tuck it back under the trim.

the seat belt are pretty rough, and the straps have been wet at some time.

i think the bike tube idea sounds terrific, i have some old motorcycle tubes that might work. love the CBOA (cheap b@st@rds of america) ideas. keep them coming.
Old May 28th, 2012 | 12:13 PM

slantflat,

it was friend of mines grandpas car, and then passed on to her dad, we stole it for a grand!!!
Old May 28th, 2012 | 06:40 PM
Oldsdruid

I'd just take it to a good muffler shop. You order a Toro dual system online, odds are it's gonna come with tailpipes for a notched bumper and those will hang too low under the bumper. Non-W 68s & 70s and all 69s used resonators with turndowns.

Make sure your muffler guy can duplicate the pipe flats and hangers otherwise the pipes will hit the underside of the car. A correct dual exhaust 66-70 muffler is gonna be expensive. A good shop should be able to fit a double in-double out muffler like some F-body cars used, if you don't mind a little rumble.
Old May 31st, 2012 | 12:13 AM

Try putting only a few gallons of gas in the tank to see if there are any leaks.
Don't assume it's leak free and put in $20 worth of gas in, only to see it has dripped out completely the next day...ugh.

If it does leak, I'll save you the trouble of searching, no one makes repro tanks, and no one has a used one for sale. The 3 listed on car-part.com are junk, I've emailed them all, and they are all damaged/unusable.
For what they want shipped to your door, you can have it restored anyway.

Get some pics up
Old June 1st, 2012 | 07:03 AM

Originally Posted by wikkonado
Try putting only a few gallons of gas in the tank to see if there are any leaks.
Don't assume it's leak free and put in $20 worth of gas in, only to see it has dripped out completely the next day...ugh.

If it does leak, I'll save you the trouble of searching, no one makes repro tanks, and no one has a used one for sale. The 3 listed on car-part.com are junk, I've emailed them all, and they are all damaged/unusable.
For what they want shipped to your door, you can have it restored anyway.

Get some pics up
yabbut, $20 is a few gallons of gas

if it is trashed, which upon first inspection it doesn't look like it, i will cut the bottom off and weld a new piece underneath
Old June 18th, 2012 | 07:47 PM

Congrats!

Congrats on the "68 Toro! My first car was a '68 with the high compression 455. That car was awesome - great highway car, fast, smooth & very cool style. I wish I still had it. good luck!