dashboard restoration stuff.

Search this Thread

Old May 5th, 2015, 11:58 AM

dashboard restoration stuff.

So I'm working on the interior of my long stalled 70 Toronado project. I got paint to match all the interior parts and pieces. It is brown. I have two stops in front of me and need some help with them.
1) is there a product to restore the wrinkly black finish on the dashboard? Mine, of course has peeled off in several places.
2) The brown burlwood vinyl has turned green in a lot of places. Any idea on where to get the matching stuff? I do intend to do all the dashboard pieces completely, not just the bad places.
Thanks to all of you.
Old May 5th, 2015, 02:15 PM
Lance

H&H has the material for the burl wood, you might call them and see if they will sell you bulk material.

http://www.hhclassicauto.com/index.html
Old May 6th, 2015, 02:32 AM

try krylon wrinkle black for the dashboard
Old May 7th, 2015, 11:06 AM

I did my '68 about 3 years ago, and it's already peeling again. To do it right, I think it needs to be stripped and rough sanded, so the undercoats will stick.
If your dash is not badly peeled, it might be better to touch it up, and retain the original finish. However, it seems like they are all peeling these days...
More research needed. I guess that's not much help really.
Jerry
Old May 8th, 2015, 10:30 AM

Smile

H&H has no way to sell the material only for everybody's future reference. They have laminated steel sheets that they cut their kits from. They suggested OCA. This site has ten times the information than any of the others. Thanks for the suggestion. Anybody else have ideas?
Old May 8th, 2015, 10:14 PM

Originally Posted by sdcarguy
So I'm working on the interior of my long stalled 70 Toronado project. I got paint to match all the interior parts and pieces. It is brown. I have two stops in front of me and need some help with them.
1) is there a product to restore the wrinkly black finish on the dashboard? Mine, of course has peeled off in several places.
2) The brown burlwood vinyl has turned green in a lot of places. Any idea on where to get the matching stuff? I do intend to do all the dashboard pieces completely, not just the bad places.
Thanks to all of you.
I used Krylon Wrinkle Finish when I restored the instrument cluster on my 68. This was my first experience using wrinkle paint, but I just followed this how to guide and it turned out absolutely amazing.

http://www.build-threads.com/general...texture-paint/

Just make sure that you let finish dry for a good 3 to 4 days before you re-installing the instrument cluster. Otherwise the finish with scratch extremely easy...

Old May 9th, 2015, 08:26 AM

Thumbs up

Very nice job. Extremely helpful. Is it safe to assume you stripped off all the old paint? Paint remover, oven cleaner? Was the vinyl in that good of shape or did you replace it with something?
Old May 9th, 2015, 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by 68RocketAction
I used Krylon Wrinkle Finish when I restored the instrument cluster on my 68. This was my first experience using wrinkle paint, but I just followed this how to guide and it turned out absolutely amazing.

http://www.build-threads.com/general...texture-paint/

Just make sure that you let finish dry for a good 3 to 4 days before you re-installing the instrument cluster. Otherwise the finish with scratch extremely easy...

Nice work!
Old May 9th, 2015, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by sdcarguy
Very nice job. Extremely helpful. Is it safe to assume you stripped off all the old paint? Paint remover, oven cleaner? Was the vinyl in that good of shape or did you replace it with something?
Here is what mine looked like when I acquired my Toronado....

After I removed the metal bezel switch plates, I just used regular old paint stripper. Thankfully most of the paint came off pretty easy. Then I just ran a wash tub full of hot soapy water and scrubbed it down really good with medium grade steel wool...

I taped off all the edges