Chrome 66 toro tailpanel

Search this Thread

Old May 13th, 2010, 10:09 PM

Chrome 66 toro tailpanel

I just dropped off the tailpanel to get rechromed. I understand the piece has to be stripped of paint, potmetal pits filled and the whole thing rechromed. THEN the chrome gets scuffed so the upper part can be painted body color.

Has anyone had or seen a 66 Toro with an ALL CHROME tail panel? I suppose it can be painted anytime but do you think it would be too much chrome on the rearend???

Curious about comments from 66/67 owners.

Jeff
Old May 14th, 2010, 06:54 PM

Unless your panel is pretty banged up, I'd recommend NOT rechroming. Due to the size of the panel, the pot metal used was really crap to keep costs down. So when they go to dip the piece and strip it, it rounds off all the crisp angles and you get back a very generic looking panel and most if not all the hard edges will be rounded. The large flat panel surface will also most likely have waves in it and not be truely flat due to the same probs. Finally, if you still try to rechrome, don't let them scuff it. 66s were painted but 67s were glued with an applique that pressed right over the flat part. I took a heat gun to a 67 panel to pull off gently the aluminum applique and had the paint shop scuff and shoot it. 3M adhesive it to the panel and you can't tell its not painted. If you can't find a 67 rear, you could easily make a cutout template and have a local metal shop trace and cut it out to do this. Good luck!