Anyone convert a '66 to manual?

Search this Thread

Old February 4th, 2018, 03:19 PM

Anyone convert a '66 to manual?

Or is it even doable? Just curious. Not many Oldsmobiles over here in Aus and I don't have the fortune of owning one.
Also, hello everyone
Old February 4th, 2018, 03:33 PM

everything is doable if ya throw enough money at it.in this case you would have way more in the trans swap then the rest of the car is worth.cheapest way would probably be to convert to rear wheel drive.jay leno did it on a 66 toro but he used an automatic.
Old February 5th, 2018, 05:15 AM

Thanks, I had a feeling that was the case.

If one day I ever get a toronado I'll be more than happy to keep her FWD and auto.

Cheers,
Troy
Old February 5th, 2018, 05:18 AM

Do you mean manual transmission, or manual brakes and steering? It would probably be easier to convert to manual brakes than manual steering or manual transmission. Especially in a Toronado. Oldsguy and I converted his 69 Delta 88 to manual steering and manual brakes years ago. It can probably all be done, it just depends on how much motivation you have.
Old February 5th, 2018, 05:35 AM

if you converted a toro to manual steering you would need popeye arms to drive it.
Old February 5th, 2018, 05:40 AM

Originally Posted by cherokeepeople
if you converted a toro to manual steering you would need popeye arms to drive it.
Maybe my 8 year old daughter couldn't drive it, but any man that weighs more than 120 lbs. shouldn't have a problem with it.

The 69 Delta 88 Oldsguy had which we converted to Armstorng steering was a bit difficult it the parking lots but did ok on the road.
Old February 5th, 2018, 06:53 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Licespray
Thanks, I had a feeling that was the case.

If one day I ever get a toronado I'll be more than happy to keep her FWD and auto.

Cheers,
Troy
How did you intend to convert a Toro to a manual trans? The FWD transaxle is derived from a TH400 with the gears and clutches positioned on the LH side of the engine. A chain drive connects the torque converter at the back of the engine to the rest of the trans. There is no equivalent manual trans that has the same layout or torque handling capacity. The drive axles are just about centered under the engine.

Any FWD (or mid engine RWD) transaxle has the transmission behind the engine, with the differential usually just aft of the clutch. This puts the axles about a foot to 18" further rearward from the stock Toro location, or alternatively pushes the engine that much forward. Of course, the only transaxles that can handle 500 ft-lbs are expensive racing units that you aren't going to find in a wrecking yard.

People have been looking at this for decades, since the Toro drive package is attractive for mid-engine kit cars. There was at least one attempt to stuff a Muncie in place of the TH400 gear sets. Suffice to say that it never happened.
Old February 5th, 2018, 07:18 AM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
People have been looking at this for decades, since the Toro drive package is attractive for mid-engine kit cars. There was at least one attempt to stuff a Muncie in place of the TH400 gear sets. Suffice to say that it never happened.
A Muncie transmission in a Toronado? Was it attempted with an older RWD Munice, or was it a later Munice 282 used in Pontiac Fieros?

Speaking of, a Toronado drivetrain would be awesome in a Pontiac Fiero!

The GM f40 and Getrag f23 are often "beefed up" to live behind a 4.9L Cadillac v8 or 4.6L Northstar swapped into Fieros. I guess with enough money anything is possible.
Old February 5th, 2018, 07:35 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Olds64
A Muncie transmission in a Toronado? Was it attempted with an older RWD Munice, or was it a later Munice 282 used in Pontiac Fieros?

Speaking of, a Toronado drivetrain would be awesome in a Pontiac Fiero!

The GM f40 and Getrag f23 are often "beefed up" to live behind a 4.9L Cadillac v8 or 4.6L Northstar swapped into Fieros. I guess with enough money anything is possible.
The Fiero didn't exist when this was contemplated in the 1970s. That was a conventional RWD Muncie. The whole idea was to use a clutch where the torque converter was located, adapt the Toro chain drive, and use a Muncie case next to the engine where the TH425 case normally resides. A custom machined adapter would mate the Toro differential to the aft (now forward) end of the Muncie.

A transverse transaxle is not going to work in a Toro longitudinal configuration. Longitudinal transaxles other than the Toro don't work from a layout standpoint, as I mentioned previously.

Compare the axle location here:

With that in a more conventional longitudinal transaxle:

In fact, the only thing that's even close is this Acura Legend transaxle, except the trans part still extends far back and the diff is on the wrong side. Of course, this is an AT...

Old February 5th, 2018, 08:14 AM

If I had to do such a thing, I'd get a convertible bellhousing and a GMC manual trans and 4x4 transfer case and front diff and shafts and try to drive the Toro hubs with them. "We so fly, in 4 high."
Old February 5th, 2018, 08:17 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Koda
If I had to do such a thing, I'd get a convertible bellhousing and a GMC manual trans and 4x4 transfer case and front diff and shafts and try to drive the Toro hubs with them. "We so fly, in 4 high."
How would you package that under the floor? The whole point of the Toro drive package is that everything is forward of the firewall.
Old February 5th, 2018, 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
How would you package that under the floor? The whole point of the Toro drive package is that everything is forward of the firewall.
Eventhough the Toronado has no transmission hump on the floorboard they have less leg and foot room than Delta 88s and 98s of the same era. I've sat in first and second generation Toronados and they're pretty small.

Originally Posted by Koda
I was wondering if a 4x4 system could work?
Old February 5th, 2018, 09:15 AM

Well, Joe, if I had to make that work, I'd have to clearance the floor pans, I suppose.

From what I can see, I think the Toro used leaf springs for a non powered rear axle. Perhaps it could be replaced by a driven one and room made for the prop shaft to get back there.
Old February 5th, 2018, 09:37 AM

Another solution would be to buy a 66 Buick Riviera instead which used the Toro style body but had rear wheel drive.
Old February 5th, 2018, 10:18 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Don R.
Another solution would be to buy a 66 Buick Riviera instead which used the Toro style body but had rear wheel drive.
Since I don't have Jay Leno's money, one of my fantasy builds has always been using the frame and floorpan from a Riv under a Toro to make it RWD. Both are E-body cars.

That one is unfortunately quite a ways down on the list of cars I have to build before I die, however.
Old February 5th, 2018, 05:41 PM

Pfft... Everyone here is overlooking the sensible and logical solution

http://www.blueovaltrucks.com/tech-a...-drive_system/

Old February 5th, 2018, 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by Olds64
Eventhough the Toronado has no transmission hump on the floorboard they have less leg and foot room than Delta 88s and 98s of the same era. I've sat in first and second generation Toronados and they're pretty small.
I drove a tiny '95 Honda Civic hatchback for years and it never felt any smaller inside than my 18 foot long '66 Toronado

In fact, in that car I was able to carry a complete Toronado exhaust system and close the rear hatch. Another time, I carried a complete 455 in the back and got 470 miles out of a 10 gallon fuel tank
Old February 6th, 2018, 05:31 AM

Originally Posted by bw1339
Pfft... Everyone here is overlooking the sensible and logical solution
That's a cool system. I bet parts would be impossible to find today.