'67 Toro package tray removal

Search this Thread

Old June 9th, 2024, 05:32 PM

'67 Toro package tray removal

I'm a little confused as to how the rear package tray comes out. The service manual isn't the greatest help here. I have the back seat back seat completely removed. I see the four pieces that make up the tray are all screwed together, so they need to come out as a whole. There are trim pieces on either side that go from the tray to the armrest, and they seem to be holding the assembly in place - how are they removed? Does the armrest have to be taken out? Then I see at least two nuts holding the main section to the metal frame underneath, accessed from the trunk - are these the only ones? Thanks for any clarification!
Old June 10th, 2024, 01:35 PM

Trying to tackle this myself, and maybe create a How To in the process.

I have the arm rest removed and a bottom screw on the waterfall trim is out. There is a screw holding this waterfall piece in under the window trim corner I am pointing to. For the life of me I cannot get this corner trim piece off, or any of the window trim across the roofline and down to the dash. Any pointers here?

There is a screw under this corner piece - how does the corner piece come off? Its attaching screw has been removed, but it only wiggles a little left and right.

"Loosen back window garnish molding", says the manual. I'm all ears. The passenger side is tighter than the driver's. That corner trim is tucked under the upper window trim about an inch. And I can't seem to find how to remove the upper window trim, even though it shouldn't be necessary.

Last edited by BSiegPaint; June 10th, 2024 at 02:33 PM.
Old June 10th, 2024, 02:38 PM

I think I'm about to get out the plastic and the tape and mask off the entire interior of the car to get the rear shelf re-dyed. The only issue I'm seeing is that the hidden screw holding the waterfall trim on the driver's side - the one I can't get to - is loose. Somehow that needs to be tightened or I can hear a rattle brewing from now until eternity. If anyone has an idea of how to get this trim off, please chime in.
Old June 10th, 2024, 06:48 PM

You need a Fisher Body Service Manual.

Disclaimer: This is '66. '67 should be the same.

Old June 10th, 2024, 08:41 PM

And here's a few photos from a 1968. I've pulled a few of these apart, but its been a lot of years ago. You need to remove the metal trim that runs up around the top of the door, then you can pull that small elbow off. You also need to remove the panels above and behind the arm rest as there's a vertical fastener there. Sorry I wasn't able to get these pictures for you sooner, l've not had time to play with the car stuff in the last few days. If there's anything unclear let me know and I'll see what I can do. I also have some loose black pieces of these parts from a 1966 or 1967, I'm just not sure where I put them. John

The fastener behind that short curved metal piece.

This is looking down, the short curved metal piece is the center left edge of the photo

Another picture of the tab looking straight down

This is the other side of the car with the side panels still attached.
Old June 11th, 2024, 03:02 AM

Oldsfan and 2blu, these really help. I have the '67 service manual, but it does not seem to have exactly the same process descriptions you've provided here.

So I'm correct in that the painted trim that goes above the window needs to be removed to get that little bent corner trim piece out of the way. There isn't a good description of how this is done, and simply pulling hasn't resulted in any success in budging it. Maybe the inside of mine is rusted and just more stuck somehow? Is there any sort of "trick", like prying from one side or the other first? I did try removing the driver's side pillar trim and working from the front backwards, but I couldn't even get the pillar trim piece off. And certainly the last thing I want to do is tear the headliner by pulling the wrong thing or prying the wrong direction. Thank you again - today will be another try. If everything is really super stuck, I may just resort to taping and masking - the whole goal is to refinish the color on the shelf, which is sunburned and peeling in places.
Old June 11th, 2024, 06:21 AM

From what I remember there are individual wire clips that hold it on. I believe you have to pry from the headliner side. But I'll try to pull this off the parts car and get some pictures for you. John
Old June 11th, 2024, 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by 2blu442
From what I remember there are individual wire clips that hold it on. I believe you have to pry from the headliner side. But I'll try to pull this off the parts car and get some pictures for you. John
John, for what I'm trying to do, and for the damage I've already caused to my trim and my back, it's not worth it. I'm going to solvent clean the surfaces where they are, mask everything, then spray new color on the surfaces right where they are. I can't believe how tough it is with some of these parts. Wow.
Old June 11th, 2024, 11:22 AM

Again, I appreciate the assistance here, and I hated to be a quitter in this instance, but the dog in the fight didn’t match the fight in the dog. If the trim would have just given a tiny bit…. Anyway, masked the whole rear area and cleaned with denatured alcohol, then shot with SEM Adhesion Promoter followed by two Color Coats. The next challenge is to install the NOS rear defogger where nothing was before. After squatting and crawling through the back seat area for a couple hours, I’m not really up for a trip into the trunk on my back. Maybe later this evening….

And I think sometime in the future this back glass will get tinted. There was far too much sun damage to the shelf and the back of the rear seat.

Last edited by BSiegPaint; June 11th, 2024 at 11:28 AM.
Old June 11th, 2024, 11:46 AM

That's looking great! Nice job!
Old June 13th, 2024, 01:31 PM

I don’t know why I get sidetracked with the smallest jobs that take the longest time… but I do. I ran into this NOS defogger mismarked as a Cutlass piece, complete with the wiring harness, which is unique to the ‘67 Toro. So I bought it. Cutting through the rear package tray wasn’t fun. Installing the blower wasn’t fun. Running the wires up under the carpet to the dash wasn’t fun. Painting the whole rear section of the interior wasn’t fun. But I’m really happy with the results. The package tray is a little sun-warped, and only two of the three speed nuts would thread on the grille (no space between the motor and the stud). But when I get the dash swapped out for the new one with the defogger switch, watch out 😂