'67 Toro Drum vs disc brake lines - are they *that* different?

Search this Thread

Old July 1st, 2024, 06:12 AM

'67 Toro Drum vs disc brake lines - are they *that* different?

I need to replace the cobbled together steel brake lines on my '67 Toro, and I find that Inline Tube has a disc brake set up available, but not a 4-drum set. The more I stare at the various manuals, the more I really can't tell them apart. MAYBE the line from disc to disc in the front could have different end points than the drum, but the remainder of the lines are the same - esp since the back brakes are always drums anyway. I only see one distribution block available, which looks the same as the one I have currently (most likely original). Other than the possible front line variance, is there anything that says I shouldn't order the "disc brake" lines for my drum brake car?

EDIT - I forgot to mention that when I spoke to the Inline representative at Homecoming, he was not able to provide me any information that would help.

Last edited by BSiegPaint; July 1st, 2024 at 08:21 AM.
Old July 1st, 2024, 09:35 AM
Rocket Renegade!

Nothing to help you with your particular situation unfortunately, except to say that if an ILT rep DID have something to say about their part vs. your application, it would probably be wrong.

After my experience with their fuel line, I wouldn't rely on anything those guys say.
Old July 1st, 2024, 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by BangScreech4-4-2
Nothing to help you with your particular situation unfortunately, except to say that if an ILT rep DID have something to say about their part vs. your application, it would probably be wrong.

After my experience with their fuel line, I wouldn't rely on anything those guys say.
I've had my own experience with their fuel lines.... I'm also wondering why they would offer the set for the disc brakes, when I'm under the impression that far more cars had the drums...? I think I'm just going to order the set and make adjustments if necessary - then post any results here.
Old July 1st, 2024, 09:59 AM

Making your own lines isn't difficult particularly if NiCop lines are used. It is very malleable, forgiving and long lasting. Just an idea being thrown out there. Is the car dual reservoir master cylinder?
Old July 1st, 2024, 10:37 AM
Rocket Renegade!

Originally Posted by Sugar Bear
Is the car dual reservoir master cylinder?
Yes, a '67 would have been 2-chamber from the factory regardless of whether it was disc or drum equipped, although the master cylinders would have been different.

With regard to ILT providing lines for disc brake cars only, my guess is that it's because while most '67s were originally drum-equipped, many owners these days want to retro-fit discs.
Old July 1st, 2024, 10:48 AM

Bob, so you have drum brakes and are looking at brake lines for a disc brake application, correct?
Old July 1st, 2024, 12:12 PM
Shoveling Snow

Try The right Stuff Detailing and see if they have the lines.
They made mine from my lines.
Old July 1st, 2024, 12:30 PM

What lines do you want to replace exactly? The big differences are the master cylinder to distribution block line for the front brakes and the main line that runs from the distribution block to the rear of the car. Disc brake and drum brake cars use the same distribution block, but disc brake cars have two additional valves. There is a metering/ hold-off valve for the front. There is also a proportioning valve on the driver-side frame rail for the rear. So, drum brake cars would have a one-peice line going from the front master cylinder reservior to the distribution block, and a one-peice line going from the distribution block to the rear brake hose. On a disc brake car, those are both two-peice lines. Hope this helps.
Old July 1st, 2024, 01:11 PM

Yes, I have drum brakes all around, but the only brake line set I see advertised is for disc brakes. I need to/want to replace the whole system, since all the lines are solid, crusty rust on the outside, plus the line along the driver's side front to back has two connectors in it that are obviously repairs from the past.

The problem is that the descriptions of the disc sets I've found didn't describe the included pieces like Loaded just did above. I think I've found a drum set through Jegs at a reasonable price based on his description of what should be there.