66 Toronado Stupid Questions

Search this Thread

Old June 12th, 2013, 01:40 PM

66 Toronado Stupid Questions

Just took delivery of my new-old 66 Toronado. Started checking it out and ran into a couple of questions. I suppose I could do the research and figure these out by myself, but maybe someone out there can answer more quickly than I can find the answers.

Here goes:

1. The Toronado has three rear tail lamps per side. On my car, two of the three lamps flash - different ones on different sides of the car. Questions: a) Are all 3 lamps supposed to flash with the turn signal, or only two? b) If only two, are they the outboard and center lamps, or outboard and inboard lamps? (My car has one of each!)

If only two are supposed to flash, all I have is a couple of sockets swapped. If all three are supposed to flash, then I have some digging to do to figure out why.

2. Does the turn sighal stalk unscrew from the steering column like the tilt stalk, or is it removed differently? Mine is awful tight when I try and turn it. It may just be rusted in... or it might be held in a different manner. Before I muscle on it, I want to be sure I'm doing the right thing.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Rocki
Old June 13th, 2013, 07:55 AM

Still working on my indicator lights, so cannot give you an answer to the first questions. But my turn signal stalks just screwed out, just like the tilt stalk.

Originally Posted by sz3gfj
Just took delivery of my new-old 66 Toronado. Started checking it out and ran into a couple of questions. I suppose I could do the research and figure these out by myself, but maybe someone out there can answer more quickly than I can find the answers.

Here goes:

1. The Toronado has three rear tail lamps per side. On my car, two of the three lamps flash - different ones on different sides of the car. Questions: a) Are all 3 lamps supposed to flash with the turn signal, or only two? b) If only two, are they the outboard and center lamps, or outboard and inboard lamps? (My car has one of each!)

If only two are supposed to flash, all I have is a couple of sockets swapped. If all three are supposed to flash, then I have some digging to do to figure out why.

2. Does the turn sighal stalk unscrew from the steering column like the tilt stalk, or is it removed differently? Mine is awful tight when I try and turn it. It may just be rusted in... or it might be held in a different manner. Before I muscle on it, I want to be sure I'm doing the right thing.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Rocki
Old June 14th, 2013, 04:21 PM

Been awhile since I had a '66 Tornado, but the lightbulbs will either have one element or two, or the lightbulb sockets will have one contact or two. The bulbs with two contacts and two elements flash while the bulbs with one contact and one element do not flash. Usually the flashing bulbs were located nearer the outside of the car and non flashing bulbs towards the middle of the car. Hope that helps.
Old June 14th, 2013, 05:53 PM

All three rear lights on each side are supposed to flash with the turn signal and light up with the brake lights. Just as Rusty said, check the sockets to make sure they all have two wires going to each one, than check the bulbs to make sure you have #1157, which is a two filiment bulb. If all of your sockets have the correct bulb and have two wires than wiggle the socket in the housing to see if it's grounding correctly than replace the bulbs with one that you know works to see if it's a bulb issue.

Here is a linkie to what I did with my rear turn signal and brake lights.

Last edited by hullinger; June 14th, 2013 at 05:58 PM.
Old June 14th, 2013, 06:45 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

An easy way to tell whether GM turnsignal levers unscrew or are retained by a screw is to look at the base of the lever - the ones that unscrew should have a "flat" area that you can put an open end wrench on (5/16" or so , if I recall), while the ones that have a screw holding them on do not.

- Eric