66 Toro vac line questions

Search this Thread

Old May 20th, 2023, 02:41 PM

66 Toro vac line questions

Just noticed that my trans and vac advance are on the same line, on a T fitting into the topmost port on the carb (qjet), is this the correct setup? I would think the trans would be on its own fitting on the intake manifold?
Old May 20th, 2023, 07:14 PM

It’s not exactly dealer’s choice, but you do have options. First up, get the 1966 Chassis Service Manual. The real one that’s a book. It will have the vacuum diagrams with the color descriptions you’ll need to figure out which vacuum line does what. Without that, you’ll be lost. Or playing trial and error forever.

For all those vacuum accessories which will include the heater/AC & headlight doors and may include trunk lock, power door locks you want manifold vacuum so that those accessories are available once the engine is running. It’s a good practice to plumb in a one-way vacuum valve so that if any of those accessories has a leak, it doesn’t feed back to the engine and wreck the idle. I’d recommend one valve per accessory, but it’s a judgment call.

58 years later, it’s possible, even likely, that some of your vacuum hoses are brittle, especially where they connect to controls. The little ones usually split first. Olds generally made the hoses an inch or 2 long so if they split, you can snip the end off & get them to reseal. But you can only do that so many times before you run out of hose. But someone had this car before you and may have already done that. And with rubber hoses at this age, they’re very likely to split when you cut ‘em…

The heater/AC and other hoses are color coded. You won’t find color coded correct-size vacuum lines these days. If you replace them, the best you can do would be to label each end of the hose (before it’s on the car) with either the color Olds used, or it’s purpose (vent, recirculation door, etc.). No harm in making your own, new, harness - just be sure you label things.

I’m remembering that the Toros have massive vacuum reservoirs hidden up in the fender somewhere. I’d leak test these and be sure the lines to them are new. You may need to solder up any leaks in the tank. Or get a replacement tank if you can find one. (Don’t bet on that - be ready to fix yours).

For stuff you need to work without fail like the distributor, you probably want it on it’s own vacuum line (same with brake booster). Brake booster goes to manifold vacuum at the rear of the carb.

Distributor can go either to manifold vacuum or “ported” vacuum on the upper side of the carb. I will avoid the religious wars associated with manifold vs. ported vacuum here. Just know there are 2 choices, test both and see which works best for your engine & habits. As a vote, I use manifold vacuum for my distributors.

Hope this little primer helps. Vacuum systems aren’t hard and you can bench test them with your mouth as needed.

Cheers
cf
Old May 20th, 2023, 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by cfair
It’s not exactly dealer’s choice, but you do have options. First up, get the 1966 Chassis Service Manual. The real one that’s a book. It will have the vacuum diagrams with the color descriptions you’ll need to figure out which vacuum line does what. Without that, you’ll be lost. Or playing trial and error forever.

For all those vacuum accessories which will include the heater/AC & headlight doors and may include trunk lock, power door locks you want manifold vacuum so that those accessories are available once the engine is running. It’s a good practice to plumb in a one-way vacuum valve so that if any of those accessories has a leak, it doesn’t feed back to the engine and wreck the idle. I’d recommend one valve per accessory, but it’s a judgment call.

58 years later, it’s possible, even likely, that some of your vacuum hoses are brittle, especially where they connect to controls. The little ones usually split first. Olds generally made the hoses an inch or 2 long so if they split, you can snip the end off & get them to reseal. But you can only do that so many times before you run out of hose. But someone had this car before you and may have already done that. And with rubber hoses at this age, they’re very likely to split when you cut ‘em…

The heater/AC and other hoses are color coded. You won’t find color coded correct-size vacuum lines these days. If you replace them, the best you can do would be to label each end of the hose (before it’s on the car) with either the color Olds used, or it’s purpose (vent, recirculation door, etc.). No harm in making your own, new, harness - just be sure you label things.

I’m remembering that the Toros have massive vacuum reservoirs hidden up in the fender somewhere. I’d leak test these and be sure the lines to them are new. You may need to solder up any leaks in the tank. Or get a replacement tank if you can find one. (Don’t bet on that - be ready to fix yours).

For stuff you need to work without fail like the distributor, you probably want it on it’s own vacuum line (same with brake booster). Brake booster goes to manifold vacuum at the rear of the carb.

Distributor can go either to manifold vacuum or “ported” vacuum on the upper side of the carb. I will avoid the religious wars associated with manifold vs. ported vacuum here. Just know there are 2 choices, test both and see which works best for your engine & habits. As a vote, I use manifold vacuum for my distributors.

Hope this little primer helps. Vacuum systems aren’t hard and you can bench test them with your mouth as needed.

Cheers
cf
Thx for the info

Is it ok for the trans line and vac advance to share the same port (t-fitting), or should I have them separate?
Old May 20th, 2023, 07:53 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by sgolds
Just noticed that my trans and vac advance are on the same line, on a T fitting into the topmost port on the carb (qjet), is this the correct setup? I would think the trans would be on its own fitting on the intake manifold?
For a 1966 car without A/C, that is exactly correct.

Old May 20th, 2023, 08:15 PM
Oldsdruid

Trying to remember- this is an A/C car with California emissions/smog pump, correct?
Old May 20th, 2023, 08:32 PM

I wouldn’t have called the distributor & transmission sharing a port, but when Joe P. talks, you’re well advised to listen.

Even more so when he posts the scrolls of the ancients (aka the ‘66 Chassis Service Manual). Beyond that, if the “T” fitting is metal, not plastic, it’s almost certainly original.

Wishing you all success on your Toro!

cf
Old May 20th, 2023, 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
For a 1966 car without A/C, that is exactly correct.

Mine has ac, not a California car though
Old May 20th, 2023, 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by cfair
I wouldn’t have called the distributor & transmission sharing a port, but when Joe P. talks, you’re well advised to listen.

Even more so when he posts the scrolls of the ancients (aka the ‘66 Chassis Service Manual). Beyond that, if the “T” fitting is metal, not plastic, it’s almost certainly original.

Wishing you all success on your Toro!

cf
It is a metal fitting, so I guess it's original thx
Old May 21st, 2023, 05:36 AM
Old(s) Fart

This is also correct for A/C cars that did not have the RPO K19 thermostatic vacuum switch in the "J" tube at the thermostat housing.
Old May 22nd, 2023, 08:43 AM

This is also correct for A/C cars that did not have the RPO K19 thermostatic vacuum switch in the "J" tube at the thermostat housing.
My '66 Toro has a molded rubber 'T' connecting the vacuum advance line and the trans modulator line. Plus, in Olds Chassis Service Manual, page 7E-16, illustration 7E-18, it appears that a molded rubber 'T' is used up close to carburetor port. "If it ain't broke, you can't fix it."
Old May 22nd, 2023, 09:38 AM

Thx for the pic, looks just like my setup. Can you post the "detail A" part?
Old May 22nd, 2023, 02:10 PM
Old(s) Fart

Thx for the pic, looks just like my setup. Can you post the "detail A" part?

Old May 23rd, 2023, 01:10 PM

Thx
it says "vacuum source", I'm assuming that's the part that attaches to the carb?
Old May 23rd, 2023, 01:14 PM

Of course - refer back to original image sent by Joe P. on may 20