66 toro dieseling

Search this Thread

Old May 19th, 2011, 09:22 AM

66 toro dieseling

My '66 toronado diesels for about 10 seconds after I turn off the ignition, and i'm wondering how to go about trouble-shooting it. I have a heavy suspicion on my carburetor. It's a bear to get the car started, and I don't think the big air doors avove the secondaries are opperating..
Old May 19th, 2011, 10:45 AM

Could be too much fuel or the timing is off. Check those.
Old May 21st, 2011, 08:53 PM

Twilight! In case you didn't know. Unless you start these engines every day the fuel drains back to the tank. So after a few days you will have to briskly pump the gas while cranking until you get a partial start then pump the gas a few times without cranking as usual, then crank again and it should start as normal. This draining makes it seem as though the car is hard to start but is merely pumping up the gas from the tank. As far as the dieseling, the most common cause is carbon buildup but for the most part it could be a multitude of causes. There are additives you can get to pour down the carb while it's running to help the carbon problem, but for a better understanding you could google (what causes dieseling). You can find tons of info there to help you diagnose your problem. Bud
Old May 21st, 2011, 09:48 PM

make sure you you have premium gas even with the ignition off the car will still pull in gas. and if its low octane it will detonate.
Old May 22nd, 2011, 05:31 AM

Oh, I always put the best gas I can get in... Well, everything I use gas for :P

I didn' start it consecutively last year (i haven't run it this year yet) I plan for it to be my daily driver through the summer though, so i'll keep an eye on it.

I just replaced the ignition system, so i'll set the.timing when I start it next.

For the time being, i'm going to dump 2 bottles of seafoam into 5 gallons of gas and run that through to clean up the fuel system. I'll give some down the intake as well. Then, i'll rebuild my carburetor.

Thanks for the input
Old May 22nd, 2011, 11:21 AM

Er, the most common cause of dieseling is too high an idle speed. Can also be electrical feed back through the alternator hot wire but that is less common.
Old May 26th, 2011, 05:15 AM

Well, running the seafoam through it and setting the timing seems to have resolved the dieseling. The car now definitly starts easier now, but it still takes a little effort.
Old May 26th, 2011, 06:42 AM
Administrator

The Seafoam will boost your octane, I'll bet when its out of your system your issue will be back!