1966 Toronado

Search this Thread

Old December 13th, 2007, 10:46 AM
dar83501

1966 Toronado

$1200, good running condition, complete, but needs a restoration. What should I be on the lookout for aside from the obvious? It's 340 miles away from me, but for me the price is right if it makes the journey home. I requested more pictures from the guy, I will take a look at those when he gets around to getting them. One picture was all he had and it isnt very good.

Old December 13th, 2007, 11:09 AM

Im not a Toronado expert but rust is a problem lower quarters, fenders, and around windshields. There are also drain tubes from vents above trunklid that fail and let water into the trunk I think. Front drive universal joints on drive axles have a rubber boot to seal out dirt and water. They are usually torn and this causes the joints to wear which can be a costly repair. My opinion is a good solid car can be found for much less it would cost to restore a Toronado. If its a project you are looking for and within your budget then this may be your car....Look it over good and decide.
Old December 13th, 2007, 11:17 AM
dar83501

yes, it would be a project. I already have one Olds project going, but I've always wanted an older Toro or Cutlass for one as well.

Old December 14th, 2007, 04:38 AM
Past Administrator

You cant go too wrong for $1200, good luck on the new project.
Old December 14th, 2007, 07:31 PM

If you pick it up I'm in the process of dismantling two Toro's, one 1966 and one 1967. I'm probably a little further away than 340 miles, in Southwestern Oregon. John
Old December 15th, 2007, 06:19 AM

I think that is a fair price as long as it doesn't have horrible rust or busted out windows. You can always redo the interior and have rust fixed. I know that the old Toronados had hide away headlights that got stuck in the up position often. I believe they are pneumatically activated and the motors get stuck after 40+ years.
Old December 19th, 2007, 01:48 PM
dar83501

thanks for the input...however i dont think i'm going to be able to get it, as my cash needs to be liquidated from my delta 88 first. hah.

Old December 20th, 2007, 06:00 AM

Understandable. I am in a similar situation. I see all these awsome project cars and I need to sell the 64 before I pick up anything else. Actually, it's always better to have one project at a time unless you are just rolling in money.
Old December 20th, 2007, 05:55 PM

I guess I lack self control... 'cause I keep draggin them home! I have 21 project and parts cars, a three bay garage, a shed and a shop with only a couple paths through each. Last spring I was excitedly telling a buddy about a car I had found and purchased. His wife asked me how I manage to keep finding these old cars and parts, so I explained the different places and ads I watch for parts. Her reply was "well, STOP LOOKING!!!"

I could quit any time... hoooooonest, I could if I really wanted to!!! But I don't want to!
Old December 20th, 2007, 08:42 PM
Seasoned beater pilot.

Originally Posted by 2blu442
I guess I lack self control... 'cause I keep draggin them home! I have 21 project and parts cars, a three bay garage, a shed and a shop with only a couple paths through each. Last spring I was excitedly telling a buddy about a car I had found and purchased. His wife asked me how I manage to keep finding these old cars and parts, so I explained the different places and ads I watch for parts. Her reply was "well, STOP LOOKING!!!"

I could quit any time... hoooooonest, I could if I really wanted to!!! But I don't want to!

Some people just don't "get it" do they? I have a similar problem. I used to be able to have 4 cars at once to mess with, but now my brothers cars are clogging up the flow of Oldsmobiles. Boys will be boys. I sold all of last years batch of cars off in October just before the snow once I had them all running great. No more car worries for me this winter, right? Wrong. I Picked up another Delta 88 last week, and spent 2 days in the snow messing with it just because we (myself and the random car) both needed "fixing".
Old December 20th, 2007, 08:48 PM

^^ I bought the Delta on eBay, sort of, I went up to NY and test drove it and made the guy an offer to take it off eBay, he wanted $1600, I gave him $1450

My wife told me if I ever bought anotehr car off eBay again, she'd leave me, so that stopped my looking, for now plus I don't have a garage or any money to play with. Wife's on the baby train and she is not going to make me get rid of either car when she gets pregant, full well knowing that a 3rd will come soon when the Alero retires from daily driver status, so I'll take that
Old December 20th, 2007, 09:12 PM
Seasoned beater pilot.

Originally Posted by Redog
^^ Wife's on the baby train
Hop on Ebay, and just say you are shopping for family wagons.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
TA_Wagon_jpg.jpg (7.3 KB, 10 views)
Old December 21st, 2007, 06:18 AM

I keep telling my wife that I need to sell my 64 and focus on rebuilding my 455 and TH 400. Then I can find a "station wagon" so we can fill it with brats.
Old December 21st, 2007, 06:43 AM
Past Administrator

Oh really? And what does she have to say about that?
Old December 22nd, 2007, 10:40 AM

I don't think she is up to the task. Especially considering that the 70s Custom Cruisers were 9 passenger vehicles. I would be willing to try though, she has the hard part. Even restoring one of those from a rust bucket up would be easier than... well you know what I mean.

If so then they could all come over to grandma and grandpa's for free baby sitting. All 7 of them!