1966 toro master cylinder upgrade..

Search this Thread

Old August 2nd, 2012, 10:25 AM

1966 toro master cylinder upgrade..

I have searched and what I have found is I can use the vacuum booster and dual master cylinder from a 1967 with no promblem, am I correct? what else would I need? for front drum rear drum.
Old September 16th, 2015, 08:07 PM

Bringing this thread back from the dead. I have the same question. Anyone?
Old September 16th, 2015, 08:33 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Paxtonshelby
Bringing this thread back from the dead. I have the same question. Anyone?
Welcome. Yes, simply swap the booster and M/C from a 67. Of course, you'll need to replumb some of the brake lines. The booster needs to change because the dual circuit M/C uses a different pushrod.
Old September 17th, 2015, 12:17 PM

Thanks a bunch for the info and the welcome, Joe!

I'm totally new to the Olds world. Until now I've been a Ford guy but I found a '66 Toro ( of course it's a 4-wheel drum setup with a single bowl master cylinder ) that I just couldn't pass up. So please bear with me as I cut my teeth in the GM world!

The goal...get the car back on the road by 5/1/16 and use it as my daily driver 9 months of the year.

Do I need to incorporate the "switch" ( not sure if it's a block or a union or ?? ) that operates the "BRAKE" light on the dash in the event the braking system develops a leak and runs the brake fluid level low? Seems like it's not really necessary - if the pedal goes to the floor or if I find fluid on the garage floor I'd figure out pretty quick that I have a problem ). Honestly, I'm not even sure I have a "BRAKE" light on my dash as I haven't even had the car running yet ( I was told by a close friend that the car runs but has a rod knock - so I'm not planning to start it until I rebuild the motor. I guess I could toss in a battery to test the lights and all... ).

Any idea as to where I should buy the booster and master cylinder? Advanced Auto carries a Wearever setup ( I know that's not the best brand out there ) that has the '67 booster and '67 master cylinder already together with the "correct" pushrod - but it's almost $200. I've found the booster and MC separately listed on RockAuto for $90 and $35, respectively - but I'm not sure yet if the booster comes with the pushrod. And since I don't have the exact old parts being replaced I'm not sure if the new parts will be an exact match ( nothing to compare to ). I really don't want to mess with adapters and whatnot. So if you know of a great source for these parts for a reasonable price I'd really appreciate it. If anyone else out there has gone down this road I'd love to hear where you bought your parts - wow would part numbers and prices be a bonus!!

With this swap, does anything need plumbed into the line to the rear brakes? Or does my '66 already have a pressure / check valve? Sorry again - I'm really new to this GM stuff. All my effort to date has been focused on cleaning up the car. It was FILTHY ( but thankfully very solid ) after sitting outside for 5+ years. Only now am I getting into researching the mechanicals. First stop ( pun intended... )...brakes. :-)

Thanks for reading thru all this folks. I really appreciate the help!

I promise I'll start a project thread very soon.

Ron
Old September 17th, 2015, 12:22 PM
Old(s) Fart

Ron,

You don't need the distribution block with the differential pressure switch. I've often questioned the value of that switch, as the light comes on right AFTER the pedal goes all the way to the floor. I'm not that well versed in early Toros, but you may have a BRAKE light that is connected to the e-brake. The differential pressure switch uses the same bulb - it just provides an alternate ground path to light the switch.

The M/C can come from any auto parts store. I'm not sure if you can get a replacement booster that easily, however.
Old October 1st, 2015, 05:57 AM

Drop me a line at dead@mchsi.com for most anything 1st gen Toro. I have probably everything you need used. Regards Pat