1966 parts from rock auto that don't fit

Search this Thread

Old February 20th, 2016, 04:13 PM

1966 parts from rock auto that don't fit

fyi on some brake parts i ordered that don't fit so you don't waste you time .

wagner pba262 (rear shoes)-do not fit .the cut outs for the p brake link are too big

carlson H7235 (front hardware kit)-spring are way too small.

on a good note they gave me a store credit .great customer service.it is just is frustrating when you think you have everything and have to wait to finish. but overall i saved money on the job. most parts fit.
Old February 22nd, 2016, 12:00 AM

i hear you..had the same issues with a water pump that got the wrong length. ordered 3 of them till i got the right one.

they sent the money back and since i am in germany they also told me i should keep the water pumps too. customer service is pretty great!!
Old February 23rd, 2016, 12:53 PM

It is actually a good thing!!!

It is actually a good thing that you had issues with them -- because those new "garbage" shoes will "rip up" to smithereens your BRAKE DRUMS....

I have N.O.S. ++ Asbestos ++ Brake Shoes for that rear -- and that is the only brake shoe you should put in that vehicle......

Call me -- Craig -- 516 - 485 - 1935 ... New York....
Old February 24th, 2016, 05:27 PM

add this to list
wagner bh143463 (rear brake hose ) too short and wrong fitting
Old April 1st, 2016, 05:42 AM
Mostly Gristle

How about the radiators that they have listed? has anybody bought one?
Old April 1st, 2016, 07:24 AM

Originally Posted by timb
fyi on some brake parts i ordered that don't fit so you don't waste you time .

wagner pba262 (rear shoes)-do not fit .the cut outs for the p brake link are too big

carlson H7235 (front hardware kit)-spring are way too small.

on a good note they gave me a store credit .great customer service.it is just is frustrating when you think you have everything and have to wait to finish. but overall i saved money on the job. most parts fit.
Carlson 7235 kits are correct for what they are listed for. I have used many of them.
Old April 1st, 2016, 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by timb
add this to list
wagner bh143463 (rear brake hose ) too short and wrong fitting
im sure it fits the application it was made for. im not familiar with this number and i dont know what car you ordered it for but i have bought those lines from rock auto for my cutlasses and chevelles and they always fit correctly? just sayin.......
Old April 1st, 2016, 07:44 AM

One of the problems I always encounter with auto parts stores and my 66 Cutlass is the name. Many catalogs refer to them as F85's. I always order everything now using the F85 moniker. Not sure why this is such a problem with parts manufacturers but it is.
Old April 1st, 2016, 08:22 AM
Old(s) Fart

RockAuto's online catalog is so riddled with errors as to be nearly useless for buying parts for older Oldsmobiles. Do your research, get the part numbers you need through verified sources, THEN order by part number from RockAuto. For example, just TRY to get correct Oldsmobile motor mounts using the RA catalog. They don't even list mounts for the 1960s cars, yet you can search for Anchor 2261 or 2328 by part number and buy them for like $7 each.
Old April 1st, 2016, 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
RockAuto's online catalog is so riddled with errors as to be nearly useless for buying parts for older Oldsmobiles. Do your research, get the part numbers you need through verified sources, THEN order by part number from RockAuto. For example, just TRY to get correct Oldsmobile motor mounts using the RA catalog. They don't even list mounts for the 1960s cars, yet you can search for Anchor 2261 or 2328 by part number and buy them for like $7 each.

What Joe says! I always try to verify what i ordeer from them from another source and double check it through their part number search. Its unbelieveable what will turn up for your olds if you have a part number to enter. I did it last week -- couldnt find what i wanted in the make-model search,(rubber brake hose in the length i wanted which was longer than what they showed as a direct replacement for my original - there was about 1-1/2" difference in length) so i went to another website such as Summit and got the correct part number and went back to Rock Auto and entered the part number and it popped up -- much cheaper than at the other sites. It turned out that the part i wanted was only cataloged to fit a Dodge Ram in their make-model catalog !! --- Always verify what you get from them by double checking with another supplier if you have the slightest doubt of the fitment!
Old April 1st, 2016, 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by TripDeuces
One of the problems I always encounter with auto parts stores and my 66 Cutlass is the name. Many catalogs refer to them as F85's. I always order everything now using the F85 moniker. Not sure why this is such a problem with parts manufacturers but it is.
It started with Oldsmobiles being only Oldsmobile big cars. When the F85 or Cutlass first came out, it was not "an Oldsmobile" in the parts listings. Parts were either for [the big] "Oldsmobiles" or for the [little tiny] F85 line, with Cutlass variants. I noticed this when I started studying the parts catalogs- things are listed for "Oldsmobile and F85" for example, with the clear implication that an F85 is _not_ "an Oldsmobile". Or parts will be lsited for "Oldsmobile exc. F85," or only for "F85" (and, thus, clearly, not an "Oldsmobile").

Compound the problem with various Cutlass, Cutlass Supreme, Supreme with Offset Engine [good grief], 442, and W31 & W30 variants, and now you have dozens of Oldsmobiles that are not "Oldsmobiles" - they are the F85 or enhanced versions thereof.

Last edited by Octania; April 2nd, 2016 at 03:32 PM.
Old November 16th, 2016, 03:28 PM

Hey man, couldn't help but notice you mentioned the 262 part# brakes. Rockauto has it wrong for B Body olds. I have a set of 262 lying around that I can't use as well because the stops for the parking brake strut are too far apart on the 262 version.

The correct ones for the 11x2 brake drums are part WAGNER PAB272D.

You can find them by searching for a 1965-1968 impala as well. I have them on my factory rear brakes for my 1965 Delta 88 with 11x2 drums and they fit perfectly.
Old November 16th, 2016, 04:58 PM
Phantom Phixer

How about a new nickname? "Wrong Auto"
I just ordered a set of axle gaskets for my 63 Dynamic 88.
Package was clearly marked " Buick Olds V-8 64-68" , didn't fit .
Now I have to wait to finish assembling my axle .
Old November 16th, 2016, 05:13 PM
Olds Fever

Originally Posted by Charlie Jones
I have had similar problems with flat paper type gaskets in the past... Now if I need a gasket I buy the gasket material and make my own using a hole punch kit I purchased... Kits are available for under $10 at Harbor Freight, even Home Depot has them for about $15...
Old November 16th, 2016, 05:53 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Charlie Jones
There are a lot of documented errors in the RA online catalog, as there are in their suppliers' catalogs. I just order by part number, not application. I keep my own database of correct part numbers.
Old November 17th, 2016, 05:36 AM

Joe, would the database be something worth sharing in a sticky? Or is it just written on the garage wall?
Old November 17th, 2016, 05:45 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by m371961
Joe, would the database be something worth sharing in a sticky? Or is it just written on the garage wall?
A lot of it is the voices in my head.

Seriously, the part numbers are a combination of cross references from factory parts books, review of vendor catalogs, and years of experience. I can't say that I've got one file with everything, but it might be time to start formalizing this in my (very limited) spare time.
Old November 17th, 2016, 05:47 AM

It is not just them. O'rielly's also seems to use the same data found that out on the motor mounts and some other parts. Then one day I was at another parts store and asked for a listing for an upper radiator hose for my 67 and the guy behind the counter was looking and not coming up with what I needed and the other guy said "oh just use a different year". I corrected him and made it clear there is a reason some parts are different. Cars change. It is frustrating. But as Joe said I now do my own research and I have started making a list of parts and tacked it up on the wall in my shop of the usual items I might get to make sure I have the correct part numbers. Frustrating. For sure. Sometimes it is cheaper to buy local and sometimes I just don't have the time for shipping.

We all just have to do our homework to get it right.
Old November 18th, 2016, 11:17 AM

Remember, also.....

When great people like Joe Padavano and I quote part numbers -- they are 100 % correct -- but are coming from old catalogs, etc.....
I have the N.O.S. # 262 Brake Shoes -- and they are 100 % correct -- and N.O.S. ++ Asbestos ++ so they are 1000 % better than anything you can purchase today -- EVEN if it is correct.....
When you get on sites like rock auto (I LIKE THAT "Wrong Auto" notion!!!)
-- you are at the mercy of their current information -- and a lot of that is
W R O N G ...............
Luckily, this website is chock full of great people and resources......
Don't be in a hurry to get the chinesium bologna of today's sources.....
Do call Joe P. and me from the git-go and LOVE LIFE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!