Tech Editor's Desk Projects, papers, writings, thoughts, musings of our technical editor Joe Padavano. To begin with, he will be making threads and can approve posts to it if he wishes. This can be changed in the future if it does not work out well.

Engine date code lead time to Trim plate date

Search this Thread

Old August 17th, 2013, 07:41 AM

Engine date code lead time to Trim plate date

What would one expect for normal lead time of a date code of 295 on the block to install in a chassis. My 72 Cutlass Supreme conv. has a Trim plate with 3rd week in Dec. build date.

Also of note the heads have different date codes of 303 and 306, I assume that would be within normal resonability of building an engine, correct?

And lastly what would be the most days between head date codes, I have a set of Ga heads with 101 days between the cast dates? Both came off of a what seems unmolested engine.

Thanks
Old August 17th, 2013, 07:55 AM
Just an Olds Guy

If it's not the original engine from the car, I wouldn't be concerned about the date code issues in the slightest. The original engine will have Div/yr/factory and last 6 of VIN stamped on the stamping pad of the engine.
Old August 17th, 2013, 12:11 PM

those dates seem to correlate fine with your car. The one set of heads does seem like a big gap - 101 days but who knows. I've seen lots of cars with heads from a few days to a few weeks difference.
Old August 17th, 2013, 01:51 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Allan R
If it's not the original engine from the car, I wouldn't be concerned about the date code issues in the slightest. The original engine will have Div/yr/factory and last 6 of VIN stamped on the stamping pad of the engine.
^^^ This.

The VIN derivative stamp will tell you if the block is correct. The date code is irrelevant if it's not original. As for the heads and other parts not VIN-stamped, 30 days prior to the build date is typical, 90 days is about the accepted limit.
Old August 17th, 2013, 04:44 PM
Trying to remember member

Originally Posted by Allan R
Originally Posted by joe_padavano
^^^ This.

The VIN derivative stamp will tell you if the block is correct. The date code is irrelevant if it's not original. As for the heads and other parts not VIN-stamped, 30 days prior to the build date is typical, 90 days is about the accepted limit.
X3. Way too much has been made about trying to "match" a date to a replacement part. It is borderline absurd. A date in itself is not something that makes a part any more correct. It is either original or not. If it is not original, it is either correct or not. If the part number is correct (with correct internals), it is the correct part. Period. That is what part number are for.