Tech Editor's Desk Projects, papers, writings, thoughts, musings of our technical editor Joe Padavano. To begin with, he will be making threads and can approve posts to it if he wishes. This can be changed in the future if it does not work out well.

fuel gage off

Search this Thread

Old March 25th, 2012, 07:28 PM

fuel gage off

its driving me nuts...i have a good ground....changed the float in the tank...and checked the guage....all good..yet i have only half fill registering on a complete fillup.....wont go past that...im about to rewire the damn thing and by pass the gas guage in the dash for one aftermarket one under it.....any help is appreciated .....before i start doing this...
Old March 25th, 2012, 07:38 PM

you say you change the float. do you mean just the float or the whole sender? was the problem always present or has it changed any with any work done? if you changed the whole sender are you sure it is the same ohm sender as the original?
Old March 26th, 2012, 04:57 AM

Originally Posted by compedgemarine
you say you change the float. do you mean just the float or the whole sender? was the problem always present or has it changed any with any work done? if you changed the whole sender are you sure it is the same ohm sender as the original?

i changed the whole thing....yes problem hasnt changed...i sent for the origional one...they didnt specify if there was a difference in that year ...so im figuring its the right one....sometimes it doesnt register ..other times it goes to almost half full....figured it was a bad ground..changed the ground a few times too
Old March 26th, 2012, 05:32 AM

Are you sure the dash gauge itself is working properly? When you say "checked the gauge," what do you mean, exactly?

This is an easy test. Disconnect the wiring from the gauge to the tank and leave the circuit open. With the key ON, the gauge should peg at F or likely well beyond it. If it still stops at the half-way point, then there is a problem with the gauge and no amount of fidgeting with the sending unit will fix it.

If it DOES peg past F, and it goes to E when you ground the lead coming from the gauge with the key on, then the gauge is fine, and you still have problem with the sending unit.

Are you sure the float is free to move over its full range of travel? Maybe something is causing it to hang up once it's reached the half-full point.