Tech Editor's Desk Projects, papers, writings, thoughts, musings of our technical editor Joe Padavano. To begin with, he will be making threads and can approve posts to it if he wishes. This can be changed in the future if it does not work out well.

Vintage Air install in 71 Cutlass Suspreme 350

Search this Thread

Old September 15th, 2018, 12:16 PM

Vintage Air install in 71 Cutlass Suspreme 350

I plan on an aluminium radiator upgrade, what else is involved, pulleys etc. What is the ballpark cost? Vintage Air? How well would it work?
Old September 15th, 2018, 01:22 PM
Just an Olds Guy

AC is a major change to the configuration of your car. There are too many components to list, and I suspect they will also have to cut the firewall for the evaporator, relocate the alternator and brackets, add HD cooling? modify the dash and interior a bit. I'm guessing you'll be looking at an easy $1400.00 plus labor.
Old September 15th, 2018, 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by 40flier
I plan on an aluminium radiator upgrade, what else is involved, pulleys etc.
No pulley changes necessary for a radiator swap.

Depending upon which radiator you get, it could be a simple drop in replacement or you may need to modify the radiator cradles for the end tanks to fit if the end tanks are thicker than your current radiator.

Old September 16th, 2018, 10:11 AM

I have a vintage air system on my 69, I’m guessing the 71 system is basically the same. Vintage air offers compressor mounting brackets for the Olds engine with the alternator on the drivers or passenger side. They will ask if your car is a factory air or heat only, and supply evaporator case mounting brackets and block-off plates for either option. They also tell you specific belt and pulley codes for proper belt alignment.

The biggest install hassle for me was the underdash work. The dashboards on the 70-72 cars is MUCH easier to work on than the 68-69 cars.

Lastly if you call vintage air they can email the instructions for you to look over, they might be available on their online order page.

I would plan on a long weekend to complete the installation, you will need to find a local shop to crimp the fittings onto the hoses. Make sure you ask the shop if the have the proper dies for air conditioning line, hydraulic hoses are not the same. Other than those minor hassles, it’s pretty straightforward I didn’t think it was too hard to install, it’s mainly time consuming to make things neat and proper.