General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Vintage Air Installer Washington State, California or Arizonia

Old April 28th, 2019, 09:10 AM

Vintage Air Installer Washington State, California or Arizonia

Anyone know of a company or an individual knowledgeable installing Vintage Air in a non air conditioned 1970 442.
I am looking for someone knowledgeable and experienced to install the system and know if the existing radiator will work, whether or not I need a clutch fan, electrical wiring, mounting a new 100 amp alternator, compressor mounting, pulleys required, to properly fit in a non air conditioned, power steering car. You are welcome to send a private message if you feel more comfortable. Thank you.
Old April 28th, 2019, 09:19 AM

If you contact Vintage Air directly they should be able to give you a list of authorized dealers in your area. Any good shop that has experience with classic muscle cars will probably fit the bill as these conversions are now very common. You have the added advantage of VA making a custom kit specifically for your model car which takes a lot of the guesswork out of such a conversion. Good luck!
Old April 28th, 2019, 04:04 PM

I used to install A/C for a company in Phoenix. That company is gone now, but maybe I can help with some of your questions. There are a lot more knowledgeable folks here on the forums about your vehicle itself though. What is the condition of your cooling system now? Do you have a 2-core, a 3-core, or even a 4-core radiator? How "original" is the underhood environment? Are the canvas/rubber flaps still in good condition and still in place around the sides of the radiator? Do you have a well fitting fan shroud? Do you currently have a factory steel fan with clutch? These are important items to know about your current cooling system before trying to install an aftermarket A/C system. Once you put a condenser in front of the radiator you need to make sure ALL of the air that goes through the front of the car goes through the condenser and the radiator. Where will you mainly be driving it? Washington, California, or Arizonia? There is a difference! What compressor will you be using? What style evaporator will you be using? Factory or under-dash? Lots of questions needing lots of answers! Your VA kit should have either the correct pulleys or instructions for sourcing them. They should also have instructions for belt routing if none are required. Your A/C system doesn't require an alternator upgrade unless you just really want one. The only increase over a non-A/C car is the compressor clutch, just a couple amps. Nothing wrong with the upgrade mind you and it can be worth a lot as far as peace of mind but not strictly necessary for the A/C system. If you do increase the size of your alternator though you should also increase the size of your charging lead.
Old April 28th, 2019, 04:47 PM

I spoke to a representative of Vintage Air. He explained that I will need to replace the existing non ac alternator to 100 amps because the Vintage Air System replaces the existing heating system in the car with an electric HVAC system which will draw more amperage than the original system.
He also instructed me to ensure my car has a fan shroud and a clutch fan. Also required is an aluminum radiator to replace the existing radiator. I was told that I have to supply two groove pulleys for the crankshaft and the water pump. The Vintage Air System replaces the the existing heating and the existing ductwork. New tubing needs to be run to the the existing vents and a new center vent with the fitting is to be furnished by me. The system is fully concealed. The glove box must be trimmed in order to provide access for the new hoses. I was told that I will be left with little or no Glove box.
The system is made for a Cutlass/442 and will provide temperatures at the vents at forty eight (48) degrees. Charging with 134 is also provided by me.
My concern is finding someone with prior experience installing Vintage Air in a 442/Cutlass who knows the details, in a power steering car, so that everything will fit properly mount the brackets and all of the required equipment to have a fully functioning HVAC system without surprises.
The car will not be driven in Washington State, California or Arizona. The car will be driven in Philadelphia and the humity in Philadelphia is unbearable.
I would want someone to install the Vintage Air System in the area in which I am purchasing the car.
When I called Vintage Air they didn't have anyone in the Philadelphia area that installs their systems to regularly, and is familiar with Oldsmobiles.

Last edited by twilightblue28A; April 28th, 2019 at 04:53 PM.
Old April 28th, 2019, 06:48 PM

Ok, couple of things. What your radiator is made of is not really the point as long as it functions well. A decent 2-core copper/brass radiator can work well if it is in good condition. Aluminum is a great heat transfer metal, but not the only one! WHAT DO YOU HAVE NOW? A high flow thermostat can be just as important as the size and type of your radiator too, you have to be able to get the heat out of the engine effectively so coolant flow is important as is surface area.

If the system you are installing does in fact have electrical needs that require a higher capacity alternator then by all means, upgrade.

Finding two-groove pulleys should be fairly easy on this site as there are several members that regularly part out cars here. Post a "want ad" and someone should answer soon.

Something to keep in mind, for that Salesman to tell you that the system will produce 48° is a bit disingenuous. Your new A/C system will only reduce the temperature a certain amount input vs. output. If you run it long enough you may eventually get 48° out of it but the interior temperature of your vehicle will have to get cold enough that the A/C system can finally reduce the temp of the air coming out of it to that degree.

Driving your car in Philly will be a good thing when it comes to cooling. Having moisture in the air aids in cooling. The dry air in Arizona and New Mexico for most of the year is brutal on automotive cooling systems. Because there is so little moisture to aid in heat transfer, the cooling systems work so much harder than in humid climates. It feels more oppressive to humans because of the humidity but your car's cooling system loves it.
Old April 28th, 2019, 07:09 PM

Your information has been extremely helpful. I will check the existing radiator and determine the required information. I never knew of a high flow thermostat. The Vintage Air salesman may have embellished the temperature at the vents. I think, although I'm speculating, that his point is, and I am not casting dispersion on any member who has a factory air car which I prefer, is that the technology has advanced to cool the cars cabin quicker and more reliably. I am still unclear how it fits with a power steering car, the position of the compressor and wiring the controls.
Also, I'm sure it's easier to find an Oldsmobile Vintage Air installer in a consistently hot climate state, compared to Philadelphia, where the seasons change and heat is excessive a few months a year.

Last edited by twilightblue28A; April 28th, 2019 at 07:11 PM.
Old April 28th, 2019, 07:56 PM

What has happened is technology has had to advance in order to make the modern systems effective and reliable. The original systems that operated on R-12 were incredibly efficient but were phased out as you know. The R-134 refrigerant is not as effective at heat transfer and so it was a mad scramble to get the mechanical systems to operate as effectively as the old ones. For example, parallel flow condensers were developed to increase heat transfer out of the A/C system because of the R-134 evolution. The new systems do work well, but not any better than the original systems.
Old April 28th, 2019, 09:14 PM

I don't know if they sell or install Vintage Air systems, but this vendor in Glendale, Az has always been straight forward, priced fair and helpful with my a/c questions and parts.

http://www.rmacc-hose.com/
Old April 29th, 2019, 12:24 PM

I spoke with Vintage Air again today. Vintage Air will not refer me to anyone that installs Vintage Air Systems. The best they can do is identify Vintage Air Distributors.
Does anyone know an installer familiar with Vintage Air installations in an Oldsmobile Cutlass or 442?
Thank you.
Old April 29th, 2019, 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by oldsonharmont
I don't know if they sell or install Vintage Air systems, but this vendor in Glendale, Az has always been straight forward, priced fair and helpful with my a/c questions and parts.

http://www.rmacc-hose.com/
I spoke with the company you referred to me a few minutes ago. I have a good feeling about the company.
A question that I was asked is the location of tee power steering pump on a non air conditioned 442, driver's or passenger's side?
Thanks for your referral.