Tech Editor's Desk Projects, papers, writings, thoughts, musings of our technical editor Joe Padavano. To begin with, he will be making threads and can approve posts to it if he wishes. This can be changed in the future if it does not work out well.

Oil

Search this Thread

Old July 9th, 2008, 04:26 PM

Oil

I put on about 1200 miles a year on my Cutlass. I use Mobil 1 oil and filter and would like to get input on how often the oil / filter should be changed. Since the oil is clean and has been in the car over a year I get different opinions on weather to change the filter only or change both the oil and filter. When the car is driven the motor gets a good warm up to get rid of condensation and the dip stick shows no dirt or condensation.

Would appreciate your comments.

Bob
Old July 12th, 2008, 07:37 AM
Old(s) Fart

I remember when Mobile 1 first came out. There was a lot of discussion about the long life of the oil and the fact that the paper filters would need to be changed before the oil. Frankly, I'd be more worried about the condensation and resulting acids that form. To be honest, in the scheme of life, the cost of even a Mobile 1 oil change once a year is a small price to pay for the peace of mind, I would think.
Old July 12th, 2008, 07:40 AM
Past Administrator

I agree with Joe, changing the oil and filter is a very good idea, even in a low mileage/year car.
Old July 12th, 2008, 09:39 AM

Oil

Wasn't really concerned about the cost of the oil change which I will do myself. I've been getting different opinions from my friends and just wanted to hear some outside opinions. My 350 was rebuilt by a performance rebuilder a few years back and has been using Mobil 1 for years with no leaks so I will stay with Mobil 1. Thought about changing oils a couple years ago but decided against it.

I have been told not to worry about it if it is clean been told to change filter only been told to change both the oil and filter. I will change both, wouldn't want to take any chance on damaging the engine. My Cutlass runs great in fact I don't think it could be made to run any better than it does. Of course I am not talking about Horse power, I am talking about running in general.

Bob
Old July 22nd, 2008, 07:49 PM
Just an Olds Guy

You can tough it out and leave it if you really want. Depends on how much of a car guy you are. Even though you are a low miler, the engine heats up and cools down; so does the oil so it breaks down. Today's oil is more refined to last longer. Probably had to go that way because the average car owner doesn't have a clue. Literally I knew a guy who bought a 79 Chevelle and NEVER changed the oil once in the 4 years he owned it. Just topped it up. Wanna guess how well it ran?
I like doing my own oil/filter and greasing because I know it's getting done right. Ask any mechanic and they'll tell you that regular maintenance like oil/filter is the cheapest insurance to keep your motor happy and healthy.

I don't consider my car high mileage at around 11000 a year. And I change the oil on it about every 2500 miles no matter what. On a 3800 Series 2 (one of GM's best moves) it may sound like overkill. I call it TLC because I love both of my Olds's. And the wife's Saturn gets changed about the same, but it's a real pain in the a#@ because of where they put the filter.
Old July 27th, 2008, 07:20 PM

[quote=Allan R]Probably had to go that way because the average car owner doesn't have a clue. Literally I knew a guy who bought a 79 Chevelle and NEVER changed the oil once in the 4 years he owned it. Just topped it up. Wanna guess how well it ran? [quote]

That's how my car was when I bought it. The previous owner in 4 years never changed it, and for a year or so before hand it sat in a junkyard. Probably hadn't had the oil changed in 6 years. When I changed it, it came out in chunks. Every 2 weeks for the next 3 months it came out in chunks, after 5 months or so it started coming out clear and now it gets an oil change every 6 months, but it doesn't even leave the driveway yet, so it don't hurt it. When I get plates I'll do it every 4 months like all the other "second" (low milage) cars.
Old March 25th, 2009, 03:19 PM

and for what ever it matters , it depends on how hard you drive your car.
which it sounds like you don't race it so i think joe's sugestion of once a year is smart
You didn't mention if you live in a cold climate, like i do.
i always put change oil in the fall after last time out .
I cycle thru the new oil for a minute and shut her down . then spray cylinders.
I don't fog it
In the spring i pull the plugs and turn it over to get oil pressure, and i'm good to go.
In the summer i change oil every 30 passes.
Old March 26th, 2009, 08:56 PM

I use Mobil 1 in both our cars but the Delta only got Quaker State 10w30 due to the age of the motor and not been rebuilt.

The Delta saw 8000 miles in the 3 year I owned it, that included 3 weeks of driving with a speedo reading 27% too fast, but yet I still change the oil in every car in 3 months or 3000 miles, whichever comes first.

Proud to say that the wife's Altima is running a ACDelco oil filter now. The Nissan ones were more money and I don't feel as though they seal very well, We'll find out if the ACDelco one is better, but it is $2 cheaper
Old March 27th, 2009, 09:17 AM

Part of my career in the Automotive Aftermarket was spent with the FRAM
Corporation as an outside salesman. Some of you older guys/gals will remember their ad campaign (mid-70's): "You can pay me now, or you can pay me later". In clinics that I taught, or when talking with technicians/DIY'ers, I would always ask, "Compare the cost of a filter and 5 quarts of oil to the price of an engine". Worked pretty well. I still change them at 3K miles (ALL our cars are older ones, the latest a '92 Custom Cruiser) and the majority of our mileage is City driving (equates to hard driving in the handbook, I think); in the case of the two '68's, they seldom get 3K/annually, unless driven to the OCA Nationals (as in the case of the Flat Top Wagon, the Silver Bullet) yearly, so they are for sure changed annually.