Tech Editor's Desk Projects, papers, writings, thoughts, musings of our technical editor Joe Padavano. To begin with, he will be making threads and can approve posts to it if he wishes. This can be changed in the future if it does not work out well.

Edelbrock heads 455

Search this Thread

Old July 24th, 2010, 07:02 AM

Edelbrock heads 455

To run a W-30 Fuel pump the front of the edelbrock head has to be cleared about .200 for the pump to bolt up. Edelbrock actually gives you the ok to do this. What happened in my situation is I ran into the water Jacket at about .120 . Of course I had to weld up the head and make an alteration to the W-30 fuel pump to make it fit. We were able to modify the bowl pulling the face back .300 and welding a new piece on without affecting the Diaphram. I just though I would pass this info on to anybody who has had the same issues. Edellbrock apparently has had calls on this same issue. Anyways they were decent about it and sent me a new Thunder series 800 CFM Carb for my troubles. I would hate to have somebody else put there motor together and find out the fuel pump did not fit.
Old July 24th, 2010, 07:50 AM

I was able to notch mine to clear the fuel pump without hitting the water jacket. Must be about doing it in the exact correct location and being lucky at the same time.
Old July 24th, 2010, 08:56 AM
I bleed Oldsmobile

I still dont understand why you would run a stock type fuel pump with the Brocks,Those heads are a upgrade performance part that should really increase HP& TQ if combined with the correct parts(Higher comp Pistons)...........Of course some people think that just bolting these on a stock compression motor is going to make there car into a screaming olds when in reality bolting them on a stock motor will lower the static compression ratio therefore lowering the HP of there engine,Not meaning to vent but there are quite a few posts on all the sites i frequent with the same results,A water jacket that was breached and a fuel pump that doesnt bolt on.............Discuss.....
Old July 24th, 2010, 10:26 AM

Mine is a 10.5 compression engine with an aggressive roller cam and roller rockers. i did not want to go with a electric fuel pump setup. Runs great with a Holly 770 cfm avenger carb. I would not run the edelbrock heads on a stock 455 either, waste of money. I used them because the cost of rebuilding the Ga heads they way I wanted them approached the cost of the brocks I bought on Craigs list. Plus they weigh less and denotation is not and issue with 92 pump gas.
Old July 25th, 2010, 06:44 PM

My motor is nothing close to stock although that was not the intention. I am .040 over with rollers and 10.5 to 1 compresion. The stock edelbrock heads have been tweeked as they are not perfect out of the box. As for the Pump I ran a stock 350 pump (live and learn) with a 1411 750 CFM E carb. I do not want to go to a electric fuel pump if posslible. So i went with the bigger bowl W-30 fuel pump Whcih until a month ago I did not know what was available. So instead of electronic I went with this and a 800 CFM Thunder series carb which I got for my trobles free from edelbrock for the difficulties with the water jacket issue. Anyways Sorry for the long synopsis but I do not claim to be a pro so I try and ask alot of questions and eventually get to the coreect combination. the reason i went iwuht the Edelbrock heads was the issue with Gas at 10.5 to 1 compresion. No knocks in my motor. Also it was Less expensive then than having a huge port job done by somebody. I am probaly in the neighbor hood of 475 to 500 Hp and 560 or better ftlbs of torque on pump gas. If the fuel pump is not enough I will have to make other arrangements.