Shaft to Gear Box

Search this Thread

Old March 1st, 2020, 08:26 PM

Shaft to Gear Box

I’ve read through a couple of threads and haven’t really seen anything like the issue I’m having. I just got finished updating/grading my front end suspension, and am having an issue getting my steering shaft into the gear box at the coupler. It seemed as if I had to compress it to get it off the gear when I removed it to replace my control arm bushings, and now it won’t go back on. I’ve ensured to have my splines lined up to the marks, llubed it well, and still cant get it to extend and slide back down. Anything I’m missing; or should I take this time to replace it ?

Edit: Car is a 1980 Olds Delta 88 Royale with a 350.

Last edited by EsoWuhn; March 2nd, 2020 at 04:38 AM.
Old March 2nd, 2020, 03:28 PM

I'm surprised you haven't gotten a slew of answers yet. You might check the steering shaft itself, its designed to collapse in a wreck, and that slip joint might be binding and fighting you, especially if there is any torsion on it when you are trying to mate the spline joint. Have a helper wiggle the steering wheel while you pull it together, use some WD-40 too if there's any rust in that slip joint. If all else fails, if you can separate the rag joint, secure the splined end to the gear box, and then re-assemble the rag joint.

Last edited by JohnnyBs68S; March 2nd, 2020 at 03:32 PM.
Old March 2nd, 2020, 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by JohnnyBs68S
I'm surprised you haven't gotten a slew of answers yet. You might check the steering shaft itself, its designed to collapse in a wreck, and that slip joint might be binding and fighting you, especially if there is any torsion on it when you are trying to mate the spline joint. Have a helper wiggle the steering wheel while you pull it together, use some WD-40 too if there's any rust in that slip joint. If all else fails, if you can separate the rag joint, secure the splined end to the gear box, and then re-assemble the rag joint.

thank you for the response ! Im sure people have stuff to do, but i was also looking forward to this being answered. I was wondering if disassembly was probably my best shot, and I'm starting to think so. I know the splines matched, as did my marks; but I wondered if the angle may have been off. A couple of guys I know said to take a hammer and try to tap it down, but Im not sure how comfortable I am with that.

But how would I go about disconnecting the rag joint? Im sure its a silly question, but hey; theres a first time for everything. Again, thanks for the response !

Last edited by EsoWuhn; March 2nd, 2020 at 10:01 PM.
Old March 2nd, 2020, 11:54 PM

I would put the splined end on the gearbox, and use a heavy hammer, and a fair sized wooden dowel to tap the upper part in place. The sliding joint is usually stiff, and sometimes taking it apart outside of the car, greasing it and reassembling it will allow it to slide more easily. Be careful what you pound on, some parts can be damaged. I have a 91 car, so I am not exactly sure what yours looks like. Is it the same design as the 91?
Old March 3rd, 2020, 06:56 AM

Originally Posted by Fred Kiehl
I would put the splined end on the gearbox, and use a heavy hammer, and a fair sized wooden dowel to tap the upper part in place. The sliding joint is usually stiff, and sometimes taking it apart outside of the car, greasing it and reassembling it will allow it to slide more easily. Be careful what you pound on, some parts can be damaged. I have a 91 car, so I am not exactly sure what yours looks like. Is it the same design as the 91?

that seems viable, except i ONLY removed the end to the gear box; not the upper shaft.
But youre saying maybe I should pull it, grease it, then reinstall/assemble? I dont think the 80 and 91 are similar, but I could be wrong.
Old March 3rd, 2020, 07:06 AM

I believe they are similar. They have a D tube on the end of the steering column, a telescoping D tube between the two sections, and a rag joint with a splined shaft on the box. If yours does not have a plastic cover, it is probably very similar to the later model units. If you only took the splined end off, it may be easier to remove the whole shaft, and get it to slide a with a little less effort. There may be a leaf spring inside the outer D tube in the collapsible section. Sometimes a product call "Freezeoff" may help facilitate the separation of the two parts.