Rear sway bar spacers

Search this Thread

Old February 17th, 2020, 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by JohnnyBs68S
I disagree that using a sway bar w/ an un-boxed rear LCAs provide no benefit. As you correctly state, the sway bar acts as a torsional spring, which ties the up & down motion of the LCAs together by applying a force to the LCAs through the two bolts on each arm, which are positioned in a plane that is (roughly) normal to the axis of torsion of the sway bar. The LCAs can't help but want to act together (up & down) through the sway bar and reduce the amount of body roll in a corner. While the un-boxed LCAs will flex (out of plane) and twist more than boxed LCAs as a result of side-to-side forces during cornering reducing the effectiveness of the sway bar (and possibly result in life-reducing stress cracking), it does not reduce the sway bar's effectiveness to zero. I've been down this same road before, using spacers in my original un-boxed LCAs and then later upgrading the LCAs to SSM lift bars, and I definitely noticed less body roll w/ the rear sway / un-boxed LCAs than without the sway bar. I'd say that between a no sway bar w/ un-boxed LCAs and a sway bar w/ boxed SSM lift bars, the un-boxed LCA / sway bar combination resulted in ~80% of the effectiveness of a proper boxed LCA + sway bar combination. Definitely worth it IMO.
Awesome feedback thank you for sharing.
Old February 17th, 2020, 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by OLDSter Ralph
It should make a noticeable difference and the price was right.

Old February 17th, 2020, 02:19 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by JohnnyBs68S
I disagree that using a sway bar w/ an un-boxed rear LCAs provide no benefit. As you correctly state, the sway bar acts as a torsional spring, which ties the up & down motion of the LCAs together by applying a force to the LCAs through the two bolts on each arm, which are positioned in a plane that is (roughly) normal to the axis of torsion of the sway bar. The LCAs can't help but want to act together (up & down) through the sway bar and reduce the amount of body roll in a corner. While the un-boxed LCAs will flex (out of plane) and twist more than boxed LCAs as a result of side-to-side forces during cornering reducing the effectiveness of the sway bar (and possibly result in life-reducing stress cracking), it does not reduce the sway bar's effectiveness to zero. I've been down this same road before, using spacers in my original un-boxed LCAs and then later upgrading the LCAs to SSM lift bars, and I definitely noticed less body roll w/ the rear sway / un-boxed LCAs than without the sway bar. I'd say that between a no sway bar w/ un-boxed LCAs and a sway bar w/ boxed SSM lift bars, the un-boxed LCA / sway bar combination resulted in ~80% of the effectiveness of a proper boxed LCA + sway bar combination. Definitely worth it IMO.
^^^THIS!

While adding a sway bar to open section LCAs isn't ideal, the net effect is still positive. The problem is that some of the torsional stiffness of the rear bar is wasted in twisting the LCAs, so it will act like a smaller rear bar, but it's still an improvement.
Old February 17th, 2020, 06:58 PM

I have removed sway bars from a few g bodys. I have never seen boxed arms on a g body Just spacers. That is not saying that g bodys did not come with boxed arms . I have not seen any
Old February 17th, 2020, 08:31 PM

Well, G-Body cars also had windowed blocks, lightened cranks for weight reduction, etc. Not the very best benchmark for performance standards.
Old February 18th, 2020, 05:48 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by jmcghee
I have removed sway bars from a few g bodys. I have never seen boxed arms on a g body Just spacers. That is not saying that g bodys did not come with boxed arms . I have not seen any
G-bodies did not come with boxed arms from the factory. They used the spacers you mentioned.