Rear is sitting low

Search this Thread

Old January 26th, 2011 | 07:55 AM

Rear is sitting low

Installed new coils springs and KYB shocks all around last year. The front sits ok, but the rear is a bit low. Add a full tank of gas and three kids and it looks bad. I thought the front springs would "settle a little bit, but nothing has changed. I thought of either replacing the rear coils with stiffer ones or add the cast aluminum spacers that mount to the perch, NOT the spacers that install between coils. Any advice on this? If I go with new rear coils, I hear moog HD coils are good, but was hoping someone could give me a direction to start off. The car is a '66 Cutlass convertible with 17" wheels. Thanks!
Old January 26th, 2011 | 08:00 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by JSGD1966
Installed new coils springs and KYB shocks all around last year. The front sits ok, but the rear is a bit low. Add a full tank of gas and three kids and it looks bad. I thought the front springs would "settle a little bit, but nothing has changed. I thought of either replacing the rear coils with stiffer ones or add the cast aluminum spacers that mount to the perch, NOT the spacers that install between coils. Any advice on this? If I go with new rear coils, I hear moog HD coils are good, but was hoping someone could give me a direction to start off. The car is a '66 Cutlass convertible with 17" wheels. Thanks!
I've often felt that the A-body cars looked low in the rear. I usually cut 1/2 to one full coil off the fronts to get the stance I want. Note that the diameter of the WHEEL is irrelevant. It's the diameter of the TIRE that matters. Most available 17" tires are actually smaller than the 14" or 15" tires they replace. Stock tires on this car would have been about 26.5" in diameter.
Old January 26th, 2011 | 10:32 AM

I have had the same issue. Thought running HD coils would help out but still didn't. Just ended up with a less forgiving ride. I ended up buying those spacers that sit on the perches and now she looks good. Sits slightly above level with full tank and kids in back. Makes it a lot easier to put gas in. I swear I'd almost had to be on my knees to get the fuel cap off and on.
Old January 26th, 2011 | 10:47 AM

Thanks Joe and F85. Yes, the tires have a lower profile so my wheel/tire combo is just about the same diameter as the stock 75r14 setup it had originally. The only difference being is that my current setup is wider. Width however is still irrelevant.

I like the way the front sits in the fender well so I think I might try the aluminum spacers F85 did. F85... do you remember what height spacer you got? I know they come 1,2 and 3 inch, but the amount of lift doesn't correspond with the thickness of the spacer. I think the 3 inch spacer actually gives you a 2.5 inch lift? I will need to measure to be sure, but the engine is out right now, so I have to wait until it is back in to get an accurate measurement to try and level it out.

I thought about trying the airbag spring helpers too, but it is helpful to hear you tried the spacer and liked the results.
Old January 26th, 2011 | 10:57 AM

I do not know much about the '66, so but i will share some experience with my 72.

4 door or convertible springs have a slightly longer free height to compensate for a heavier rear (assuming the same spring rate (wire diameter)).
Some 4 door or 'vert' springs also have a slightly higher rate than the similar 2 door ones.
Putting these on a lighter 2 door would raise the back some.

Look up on Rockauto (or your local parts shop) and see all the possible Moog springs available for your model.
Then look up the spring specs here to help make your decision:
http://classiccarsprings.com/coil-sp...fications.html

If you buy from your local shop, it would be easy to exchange them for another kind, as replacement is quite easy. I put "correct" replacement HD spings on my car and it raised to normal. Now the fronts are next...
Old January 26th, 2011 | 11:05 AM

They were I think 2" spacers or maybe 1.5", I can measure them tonight when I get home. They gave me 1 3/4" of lift which was enough to make it sit level when loaded down and sit a little high in the rear when not. I also painted them chassis black to make them blend in.
I had thought about air shocks but I had a hard time finding any that would give additional height and then you have to find a place to put the lines and valve to fill them.
I would personally do spacers, they will give you what you want, without sacrificing ride quality.
Old January 26th, 2011 | 11:31 AM

If you need those spacers, let me know because I think I have a set of the 2" ones. I would need to double check to make sure they are still out there. I removed them from a 69 Cutlass but they sould be the same as what you need. I'll sell them cheap if you are interested.
Brian
Old January 26th, 2011 | 02:22 PM
Administrator

I put stationwagon springs on mine, went up 1 1/2 inches -$80. I got alot of bouncing with the airshocks and it took a while for the oil to circulate (would have to bounce the car before driving off).
Old January 26th, 2011 | 02:31 PM
Ben

Air Lift 1000 spring inserts. Valve them separately, run about 5-10lbs in each bag. Will lift you about 1/2" for the perfect stance- and its adjustable. Carrying a bunch of people or tools & tires for the track? air them up to 20lbs. By yourself? 8lbs.

A Much better option than spacers, wagon springs or air shocks.
Old February 2nd, 2011 | 06:45 AM

Air bags cheap

I have a set of used air bags in 1967 springs here if you want to try for 25.00

They came with a rear diff I bought from a guy. Jim

Pm or call 330 659 7117
Old February 2nd, 2011 | 06:58 AM

I've had very good luck with those 'helper springs' that go over the shocks.
Have had them on about 10 cars since the '60's, without a problem!
Lifts the back, and heps a ton with overload, and adjustable!!
On my S-10 Bazer right now!!
$20 at Auto Zone - -

Last edited by Rickman48; February 2nd, 2011 at 07:00 AM.
Old February 2nd, 2011 | 09:16 AM
NOVICE car nut

The front sits ok, but the rear is a bit low. Add a full tank of gas and three kids and it looks bad.

sounds like your talking about my wife , he he
Old February 4th, 2011 | 08:09 AM
'87 Delta 88 Royale

extra springs.

I had similar trouble with an '83 Cutlass wagon, I installed new springs but the rear still sat low. I fixed it by putting springs from a Fiat inside the originals, it brough the ride height up to the correct level and helped immensely with full loads and towing. Surprisingly it had little effect on ride quality.
I guess Fiats are a little hard to find in the USA but look round the junkyards and you should find a subcompact with suitable springs if anyone wants to try this option.