Correct rag joint

Search this Thread

Old June 28th, 2019, 02:39 PM

Correct rag joint

Hey folks, I finished my front end rebuild but still have some play in the steering. I jumped underneath, car off and chocked, and had the wife turn the wheel back and forth. Everything looks tight.....except for maybe the rag joint. On my '71 Supreme, should the two pins move within the housings (if that makes sense) when the wheel is turned? The pins move in the housing until they hit the side and then everything moves as a unit.

Anyway, I picked up the Lares #200 rag joint but Rockauto lists two different joints. Do I have the 13/16" or 3/4" input shaft, anyone know?
Old June 28th, 2019, 03:15 PM

There should be no slack between the pins and the cut-outs. If you have the correct PN flex joint, it sounds like the bolts are not tightened down.
Old June 28th, 2019, 04:08 PM

Thanks Game. I'm pretty sure that's the original joint in there. I just didn't want to disassemble until I know I have the right part. From the rockauto descriptions it sounds like I won't know how many splines I have until it's apart. Couldn't find anything in the CSM either, which I found odd.
Old June 28th, 2019, 05:06 PM

Mac i believe yours would be the 13/16 30 spline output shaft i just went through this trying to find the correct setup for 80 cutlass 455 swap.1978 and up went to a 26 spline 3/4 output shaft on the steering box .if you have an original rag joint you will definitely have play in it .there is also a possibility theres some extra play in your steering box, if thats original .I would start with the rag joint first to see if it improves .I might also add the pre 78 rag joints measure about 3 inches in diameter whereas the 78 and up a/g body rag joint is closer to 2.5 inches in diameter.it was awful tough for me to try and count the splines on my shaft with crappy light and eyes to match
Old June 28th, 2019, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by deadeyejedi
Mac i believe yours would be the 13/16 30 spline output shaft i just went through this trying to find the correct setup for 80 cutlass 455 swap.1978 and up went to a 26 spline 3/4 output shaft on the steering box .if you have an original rag joint you will definitely have play in it .there is also a possibility theres some extra play in your steering box, if thats original .I would start with the rag joint first to see if it improves .I might also add the pre 78 rag joints measure about 3 inches in diameter whereas the 78 and up a/g body rag joint is closer to 2.5 inches in diameter.it was awful tough for me to try and count the splines on my shaft with crappy light and eyes to match
Thanks for the info, deadeye. I tried taking some measurements but it's not exactly easy to get the caliper in there, lol. I suppose I could order both from rockauto and return the wrong one. And yeah, I'm sure there's a little play in the box. Which means I should replace it. Which means I should get the Lares high ratio box. Which means.........
Sigh...
Old June 28th, 2019, 06:52 PM

I hear ya,it never ends .but ill bet that new rag joint will be a big improvement good luck with it
Old June 28th, 2019, 08:11 PM

Rag joint rebuild kits are cheap at autozone, but I cant get them to come up in a search. Here is one on ebay. Your rag joint will work as new after you install the kit.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1967-1981-B...ss!45638!US!-1
Old June 29th, 2019, 07:20 AM

I hear ya,it never ends .but ill bet that new rag joint will be a big improvement good luck with it
Yeah, I'm hoping so. No $$ in the budget for a new gear box, as tempted as I am. I also just bought new front tires and they only put 28 lbs of air in them. Curious, what are you running in the fronts?

Originally Posted by 66luvr
Rag joint rebuild kits are cheap at autozone, but I cant get them to come up in a search. Here is one on ebay. Your rag joint will work as new after you install the kit.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1967-1981-B...ss!45638!US!-1
Well where were you a few days ago, lol. I already ordered both sizes of couplers. That would have been a good answer.
Old June 29th, 2019, 08:14 AM

I run 34 pounds of pressure in all 4
Old June 29th, 2019, 12:03 PM

The gearbox has an adjustment to take out some the excess play. The adjustment procedure is in the chassis manual.

Don W
Old June 29th, 2019, 06:19 PM

I run 34 pounds of pressure in all 4
Thanks Jeff. I usually run 32 so 28 seemed low.

Originally Posted by Mr Shifty Sidney
The gearbox has an adjustment to take out some the excess play. The adjustment procedure is in the chassis manual.

Don W
If I understand correctly, that adjustment would be used to take up slack in the worm gear. If I try it, it will be just a touch. I've done this before on old beaters and it can be difficult to not move the allen screw when loosening the nut, especially when the adjustment needs to be so fine. But I do know there is play in the box. I can hear it.
Old June 29th, 2019, 07:09 PM

I have a rag joint that I got from Year One about 7 years ago for my 442 before the wreck. It's just sitting here if you're interested, I'll let you have it for $18 shipped.

Old June 30th, 2019, 07:27 AM

Thanks Randy but I have one sitting here from Advance and I have the other on the way from Rockauto. Could have saved me some scratch, though. Thanks buddy.
Old June 30th, 2019, 07:44 AM
72 Olds CS

Ya know Mac it's only about $200 for the lares 974 from rockauto, comes w a new rag joint and fast ratio box that uses the original ps lines. The fast ratio box is a nice upgrade and if yours has any play the new one will feel real nice. I'm not saying you should but MAW!! . I put the 974 on my 72 for the same reasons rag joint and steering box play.
Old July 1st, 2019, 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by RetroRanger
Ya know Mac it's only about $200 for the lares 974 from rockauto, comes w a new rag joint and fast ratio box that uses the original ps lines. The fast ratio box is a nice upgrade and if yours has any play the new one will feel real nice. I'm not saying you should but MAW!! . I put the 974 on my 72 for the same reasons rag joint and steering box play.
Trust me, Retro, I'm tempted. Next summer, hopefully. And with that 974 I can use my current hoses? They're only a couple of years old..........I think. I replaced those, right? Maybe? Some guys keep a spreadsheet of parts and work. I have three folders full of receipts and notes

I also have a Sanden-style chrome AC compressor sitting on my shelf and new hoses in a box (and the bracket and dryer). I think the motivation for that is not far off. Today is supposed to be in the 90s with high 80 humidity, lol.
Old July 1st, 2019, 09:42 AM

Hey, how much insurance are you folks carrying on your cars? I'm still at $12k but that was before the new motor, new trans, new rear end, new front and back suspension, new interior, soon to be new AC (and maybe new steering box), and body work (steel body work). I'm thinking more like $30k. Thoughts?

I don't know if I ever shower you guys but when I was trying to match the paint for the lower quarters, I had some left over, wrong color, paint. So I taped up the hood with blue tape and some extra pin-striping and ended up with these

I figured, at this point, I'd earned my stripes.
Old July 1st, 2019, 04:12 PM
72 Olds CS

stripes look nice, yes the 974 uses the stock hoses...
Old July 1st, 2019, 06:04 PM

Thanks Retro.
Old July 3rd, 2019, 03:15 PM

New rag joint is in and tight (maybe too tight?). The new joint didn't include the ground strap so I had to add one. Neither joint, the 200 or 201, included the ground wire. Just for the record, this '71 Supreme took the Lares 201. Good fit, fairly easy install. I started by loosening the gear box but ended up unbolting it completely (wish I had bought the fast ratio box at that point!). Steering is MUCH tighter.
Thanks guys.

Old July 3rd, 2019, 06:18 PM
72 Olds CS

Nice work mac and nice job on the ground wire.
Old July 4th, 2019, 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by RetroRanger
Nice work mac and nice job on the ground wire.
Thanks Retro. The horn still doesn't work so I must have goofed on something when I swapped steering wheels. Or maybe the relay? Funny thing is, I don't think I ever tried it before I parked the car and tore it apart.
Old July 4th, 2019, 06:44 PM

Hey, you guys that have upgraded to the Lares 974, was it a good match with the stock pump? Also, looks like Rockauto doesn't sell them anymore? Just a rebuilding service. Cheapest I can find is $299.