Converting to Delphi 600

Search this Thread

Old October 16th, 2014, 08:19 AM
Kenn

Converting to Delphi 600

I'm considering converting my original style Saginaw steering gear box in my 68 442 to a Delphi 600. If you've done this I'd like to know how it went - which rag joint and hoses did you use, did it bolt right up (as I'm being told it will) or did you have to make mods? Are you happy with the results? Hotchkis wants $599 - seems pricey. What did you pay for yours (if you don't mind my asking) Thanks!
Old October 16th, 2014, 09:49 AM
72 Olds CS

I used a rockauto fast ratio steering box on my 72. It comes w a new rag joint and uses the stock hoses. It's a huge improvement w nice tight steering and a modern feel to it. I would do it again. It was a lares 974 cost was about $200
Old October 16th, 2014, 09:52 AM
Kenn

Thanks. Not sure about the possible differences b/t 68 & 72 but this gives me something to research.
Old October 16th, 2014, 12:56 PM
72 Olds CS

goto rockauto and look up the steering gear options for your car. they listed 3-4 for mine ps, man, fast ratio maybe another i year warrenty US company as well i called and emailed lares before and after my purchase and got quick response very happy w it

good luck w your decision
Old October 16th, 2014, 03:58 PM

return core

Originally Posted by RetroRanger
I used a rockauto fast ratio steering box on my 72. It comes w a new rag joint and uses the stock hoses. It's a huge improvement w nice tight steering and a modern feel to it. I would do it again. It was a lares 974 cost was about $200
I see there is a core charge. How did you sent it back? By UPS, Fedex, etc..
What kind of power steering oil did you use? Trans oil, hydraulic oil, etc..
Any kind of adjustment or problems did you had or made while installing this gearbox? Sorry for all the questions because i was thinking about doing the same thing for my 70 Cutlass before winter comes. Thank you for your time.
Old October 16th, 2014, 05:46 PM
72 Olds CS

I didnt send the core back, it was like $35 for the core i opted to keep it. Its heavy maybe 30 lbs IDK for sure but UPS or FEDEX is fine...i dont recall but i think they included a return shipping ticket (i may be wrong its been a while)

I used PS fluid purchased from the local autoparts store, if I didnt have that i would use ATF

upon initial install the steering was to tight w a poor return to center I emailed and or called lares and got a knowledge gent who stated run it for about 2-300 miles and it should loosen up to perfect dont make any adjustments to the gear. i did just drive it and sure enough after a couple hundred miles it loosened up so it now returns to center nicely and is nice and tight rolling down the road
Old October 29th, 2014, 04:43 AM

I did a 600 on my f-body, and then ordered one for my 72 442. It took so long to get it, I cancelled the order, but plan to do the swap soon. The box and conversion joint was from Lee Manufacturing, and true, it isn't cheap, but, Lee goes through the box, which from the factory has issues. He also includes fittings that allow you to use the OE 800 hoses.

The 600 box is what some refer to as a 'rack and pinion' box, and there is no substitute. With all the problems with 800 cores and rebuilt boxes these days, buying a new 600 is a blessing. Once it's done, it's done, and you won't ever even consider there's a problem with that area of the car for the life of the car. Do it right, do it once.

I went through 2 auto parts store boxes, and 3 AGR boxes, before I got one that worked right and didn't leak. And honestly, the one I kept still doesn't work right, and I plan to swap it out soon. (Like I mentioned). Buying 800 boxes is a crap shoot, you're better off sending your original out to be rebuilt. (Lee will do that too if you want and have time)

http://lee-powersteering.com/

Do a google search on 800 boxes, you will see how many have issues with them these days. The cores are all worn out is the problem. That's why the Jeep box conversion is so popular now.

Last edited by HWYSTR455; October 29th, 2014 at 04:48 AM.
Old October 30th, 2014, 01:39 PM
Kenn

I spoke to Adam at Lee - seems like a very knowledgeable guy and suggested I keep the 800 box already in the car. They will refurb my box, and tune the pump to match taking into consideration front tire width. Adam seemed very thorough and spent 20 minutes on the phone with me talking through the various options. I've been thinking about doing something to the steering for some time, and I've spoken to lots of suppliers. This is the first time I've felt like I was talking to someone who actually knew what they were talking about. Thanks for the steer to Lee