Brand of shocks

Search this Thread

Old September 11th, 2020, 10:02 PM
GCH

Brand of shocks

Hi replaced the front shocks on my 98 to new Gabriel 82110 , but could anybody
tell what the brand of the old shocks ? Have not seen shocks with springs on front
shocks before.

Old September 12th, 2020, 05:55 AM
Administrator

Monroe and Gabriel make that kind of shock.
Old September 12th, 2020, 06:20 AM
Old(s) Fart

Aftermarket overload shocks. Popular in the day, not so much anymore.
Old September 12th, 2020, 08:53 PM
GCH

Ok thanks
Old October 22nd, 2020, 01:15 PM

I’m on the hunt for the best shocks as well. In my case it’s ‘66 big cars - a 98 convertible and a Starfire. The application range for these kinds of parts is usually 65-70 B & C bodies meaning 88’s/98’s and Starfires.

The 98 recently got new KYB’s to replace 20 year old Gas-A-Just from the 80’s or 90’s. Unfortunately the new ones are not as good as the old. The car porpoises more than it used to. That says to me that the shocks aren’t quite as tight. I’m pretty sure the springs are good since it was better with the old shocks.

My mechanic has the view that Bilsteins are the brand to go to these days. I have no reason to doubt him, but wanted to get your views — and maybe some part numbers to seek out. Neither he nor I can find the right Bilsteins.

But today I captured some related information that may help:

I just had my ‘66 Starfire in for new shocks, among other things. My mechanic replaced the old KYB’s with AC Delco gas shocks and my initial drive home (5 miles) was quite good with the new Delco gas shocks.

What’s weird is my Starfire had 2 different old KYB’s on there — KYB KG4515 and KG4752. One had a shaft cover, the other did not. Do any of you know which number was correct for 65-70 Big Olds? Obviously the both fit, but 2 different numbers can’t be right. I have no memory of who fit them 20 years ago, but I’m sure it wasn’t my mechanic from today.

If any of you have suggestions about what to use, I’m all ears & eyes. I never liked the floaty ride from the 60’s, that’s why I went to KYB’s. They worked great, but have gone down hill.

I’m interested in trying Bilsteins or other firm-shock brands, but as you can imagine, part numbers for 65-70 Big Olds are hard to find. I’d like to find a coordinated package of fairly firm fronts & rears that will work.

Any suggestions for 65-70 big car shocks to get a firm non-floaty ride?

Thanks in advance
Chris

Old November 6th, 2020, 06:30 PM

I put bilstein shocks on my 1970 Delta 88 took most of the float away.
Old November 6th, 2020, 08:43 PM

All my car for the last 20 years are Monroe Sensa-Trac shocks have a tapered groove machined into the inside housing. While the piston is in the groove, a soft, comfortable ride is achieved, but when the piston travels above or below the groove, during severe handling, the valving stiffens up.. Nothing better. Even with a my heavy 1985 Cadillac Seville great soft ride and flat on hard turns. My olds can take a 90 degree turn at 55 mph and stay flat. But it has Polygraphite bushing and a lot of frame and body bracing. And top of the line Kumho tires.

From Monroe;The Monroe Sensa-Trac shock absorber with PSD (position sensitive damping) and the Safe Tech system combines our exclusive precision tapered grooves in the pressure tube with application engineered valving and Fluon banded piston to improve the ride, handling, and safety characteristics of the vehicle. These features allow the Monroe Sensa-Trac shock absorber to adjust more rapidly to changing road and weight conditions than any other available shock absorber. The result: enhanced control with uncompromised ride comfort.

I will attest to that!!!

Last edited by HighwayStar 442; November 6th, 2020 at 08:57 PM.
Old November 6th, 2020, 09:05 PM

When you have a moment, would you please post front & rear part numbers?

I have no idea which part numbers to use, but am told they are the best choice these days.

I’m inclined to believe they are now what KYB’s were a decade or 2 ago...

Thanks in advance,
Chris
Old November 6th, 2020, 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by cfair
When you have a moment, would you please post front & rear part numbers?

I have no idea which part numbers to use, but am told they are the best choice these days.

I’m inclined to believe they are now what KYB’s were a decade or 2 ago...

Thanks in advance,
Chris
I guess you are talking to me? it appears Monroe OESpectrum (the product formerly known as Sensatrac).. Not sure its the same yet. Or still built in USA. But I will found out. But I do need know what year model engine. You are looking for.

John
Old November 6th, 2020, 10:47 PM

John
Many thanks for your reply.

It’s actually the Bilstein part numbers I’m looking for. The subject car would be a 1966-1970 88 or 98 or Starfire. I.e. GM B body or C body from ‘65-70. 71-75 may fit too, but the further you get from your model year, the less likely to work as intended, I’ve found.

I grew up with 80s / 90s cars that were set up tighter than the 60’s. I like that better than the OEM ride GM offered in 1966.

I’ve heard Bilsteins can get me back to what I enjoyed with older KYBs from the 80’s. So I’m on the hunt for that.

Still, I’m glad you found the ride & control you’re looking for too.

Thanks for any guidance you and others can offer.
Chris