71 S coupe upper control arms

Search this Thread

Old July 14th, 2010, 05:15 PM

71 S coupe upper control arms

I have removed and replaced the original control arms (upper and lower) in order to replace all the bushings. As is my luck, while tightening the last bushing nut to the spec torque, the inner sleeve of the bushing spread over the point where it butts up against the spindle (I know nobody will believe that I didn't over torque! lol)

My question is, does anyone know if I can replace just the upper armas and spindles with some aftermarket arms? I figure replacing all 4 arms is likely the best way to go, but for a variety of reasons I would rather not do that. I am just wondering if the geometry would line up if I combined aftermarket uppers with original lowers?

I'm open to suggestions and cost estimates (located in Canada). PS did I say I hate control arm bushings! lol
Old July 15th, 2010, 05:39 AM

If I were in your shoes I would try to find stock upper control arms. They would be cheaper than aftermarket control arms, and you would be sure the geometry would be correct.

Contact 2blu442. He is a member on our site with plenty of parts cars. Hopefully he has what you need.
Old July 15th, 2010, 05:44 PM

Thanks pal, I'll look him up. Much appreciated.

The main problem is obviously the bushing but I had a hell of a time getting the old ones out and would like to avoid that ordeal again if possible. Bright side is the second, or in my case 3rd time is always faster right?!?!?
Old July 16th, 2010, 05:43 AM

To remove the old bushing you can burn/melt out the rubber with a torch. Then you collapse the remaining metal with a hammer and punch. Finally, remove the bushing parts from the control arm with a pair of vise grips.
Old July 21st, 2010, 10:37 AM
Ben

Or just get the right tool for the job...

My upper bushings were in & out in a matter of minutes... No melting rubber required.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...TBS9DD3ZCTZV61

Looks like a BJ press, but it is forked on one end to go over the upper cross shaft.. Worked like a knife in butter.
Old July 22nd, 2010, 06:28 AM

Ben's idea is probably better. At the very least it is SAFER. Who know what kind of nasty fumes the burning control arm bushings put out.