1965 Delta 88, searching for suspension and steering parts

Search this Thread

Old May 4th, 2012, 04:38 PM

1965 Delta 88, searching for suspension and steering parts

Hi all, I've decided it was time to address the terrible handling on my car, so I took it to Schwabbies for a checkup.

Basically they said my pitman and idler arms were shot and that they couldn't tell what condition the rest of the system was in until those components were replaced. They contacted their parts warehouses and didn't have the pitman arm but I think they have the idler arm.

I realize that most if not all of my steering and suspension components are due for replacement since they are original. An all around job on this will be done when I can find the time.

I was wondering if you guys knew of any good sites or places I might be able to find these parts.

So far i have searched ebay, rockauto, and auto parts warehouse...google isn't showing me much..

Thanks

-Andres
Old May 4th, 2012, 05:32 PM

Try www.kanter.com for your front end parts.
Old May 4th, 2012, 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by StarGeneral
....and that they couldn't tell what condition the rest of the system was in until those components were replaced...

I've got to call BS on that. Control arm bushing are a visual inspection and ball joints can be checked without regard to the steering linkage. That leaves the tie rod ends. Just grab a hold of those and see if you push-pull any slack in the joint.

If those guys claim to need to start selling you parts before they can check out the rest of a front end, I'd worry about their ability to the job correctly.

For the parts, I'd check the local Autozone, NAPA etc.
Old May 4th, 2012, 06:47 PM

Totally useful for me, going into my bookmarks!
Old May 10th, 2012, 07:09 PM

They said that replacing the pitman arm would cost $250 for the part because it had to be MADE. The idler arm was $75.

For over $300 i dont mind bouncing all over the road when i hit a pothole, i've been living with it for months with no issues...think i'll keep my eyes peeled online.
Old May 10th, 2012, 11:16 PM

I'm already not impressed with the folks you took your car to. I suggest you check something out for yourself. There is a tie rod type joint between the pitman arm and the drag link. This can be part of the pitman arm or part of the drag link, depending on the car. Can you crawl under the car and determine which part the joint belongs to?

I tried to look up the parts and did not find a pitman arm. If the joint is part of the drag link, there would be nothing to wear out on a pitman arm and no reason to have replacement arms. But no problem finding a replacement drag link. Since pictures on parts sites are representative and not always accurate, you need to check it out to see what you have.

Since I can find steering and suspension parts for Olds back to 1936 I suspect you might need a drag link (a.k.a center link) instead of a pitman arm. If that's the case Kanter has a drag link for $175 and an idler arm for $55. About $100 less than what you were quoted.
Old October 4th, 2012, 12:34 PM

update time:

So, as most of you who have been tracking my progress know, I recently replaced both my idler arm and center link with parts from Kanter (very pleased with them btw). I took the Delta back to Schwabbies yesterday, and the guy who took a look at my car called me back about 30 mins after I left the shop. He said that the lower passenger side ball joint was loose and that due to the design of it, it is trying to pull itself apart. He also said that the control arm bushings were bad and that I would need to replace those as well. Basically it can't be aligned.

My thought process is, if I've gotta replace one ball joint and the upper control arm bushings on one side, I'll just do em all so I know what I've got.

I'm planning to go with Moog brand for all of the parts if I can find them.

Last edited by StarGeneral; October 30th, 2012 at 12:42 PM.
Old October 30th, 2012, 12:46 PM

I have question for you guys, and I'd like to get it out of the way before I buy anymore parts...

There is a front-end rebuild kit available from Kanter for about 380 dollars, that comes with everything I need. I've seen how expensive the upper ball joints are and those alone would be over 300 dollars if I went out and bought both separate.

What do you guys think about the quality of Kanter parts vs Moog. Would it be worth the extra money to try and find Moog parts for everything? I'm trying to build her as solid as I can to compliment the heavy duty suspension.
Old October 30th, 2012, 01:31 PM

I have bought parts from Kanter but never from Moog. Been very happy with the Kanter parts. They've been in business many years. I don't know one way or the other with Moog.

I'm curious. You mentioned earlier that you needed a new pitman arm, too, and that the shop told you it had to be made. You said you've already replaced the center link and the idler arm. What about the pitman? Not yet? Is it part of the kit from Kanter or Moog?
Old October 30th, 2012, 10:48 PM

The pitman arm is not a part that needs replacing because it has no joint. The joint for the pitman arm is actually part of the center link. I actually have a spare pitman arm and power steering pump in the garage :P

The only scenario where you would need to replace the pitman arm is if the part that hooks to the PS pump got stripped somehow, which just doesn't happen.

Thank you for your input! I think I'm going to go with Kanter since they are the only ones that seem to have repro upper ball joints for my car at a reasonable price.
Old November 3rd, 2012, 04:16 PM
Registered Abuser

I've been having trouble with the Kanter upper ball joint boot cracking. I did the rebuild in 2002 and the pair cracked within the first year. Fortunately, I was planning on cutting out a coil in the front springs and it was no big deal to swap the boot. The right boot went bad two years ago and I haven't had a chance to get a new one and change it again.

Kanter sent me new boots the first time, I don't think I qualify for warranty this time, but I will find out when I order my steering linkage.
Old November 14th, 2012, 09:42 PM

Wink

Looks like I'll be going with the Kanter Deluxe kit for $359. Checked my front tires and even though they are only a couple months old they have suffered heavy wear on the right sides due to the car constantly pulling to the right.

Due to this, the project has been accelerated and I will likely be buying this kit in the coming weeks. Despite the winter weather this is something that has to be done if I'm to avoid going through a set of tires every few months, so I will probably need the advice of you great sages to help me with my front end rebuild

I'll be keeping you posted.

-Andres
Old November 15th, 2012, 12:30 PM

1965 - 1970 olds full size front end parts

If you would be interested in N.O.S. American made parts -- I have ALL of these front ends in stock.....(On '65 - '68, there were two different set ups -- TRW (light duty) and Saginaw (heavy duty) and many of their parts are different....)
I have Upper & Lower Ball Joints, Upper & Lower Control Arm Bushings, Inner & Outer Tie Rods & Sleeves, CENTER LINKS & Idler Arms (PITMAN ARM is indeed a non-wear item), stabilizer links and sway bar frame bushings, as well as Coil Springs and Shocks.....

MOOG is the Best Front End Company on the planet today -- but much of these items are OBSOLETE (No Longer Available) from MOOG.
Kanter's front end parts are the "bottom of the barrel" -- all oversees made reproductions... when you don't drive the car much; they'll suffice.

But if you care about the product you put on your car, you're better off trying to find N.O.S. naturally -- and I try to keep my prices reasonable... ask the many, many satisfied who utilize my goodies.....

Give me a call ---- Craig -- 516 - 485 - 1935......New York....