March Performance vs Mondello Pulley/Drive System

Search this Thread

Old November 2nd, 2015, 05:03 PM

March Performance vs Mondello Pulley/Drive System

Hey Guys,

I am progressing on my 350 build pretty well and have narrowed down the front drive system between March's Style Track and Mondello's 'Deep V' system.

I think I can get the Mondello unit for about $500 cheaper and I'm not a huge fan of the March front bracket that looks like a tribal tattoo from the early 90s.

Mondello is telling me that, because they don't have any idlers, theirs is getting another 20 hp on the dyno than the March but I don't have anything to prove that.

Does anyone have any experience with either of these or have any suggestions?

Thanks!

Ben
Old November 2nd, 2015, 05:05 PM

Here are some visuals...
Attached Images
File Type: png
Capture1.PNG (836.5 KB, 91 views)
File Type: png
Capture.PNG (842.8 KB, 99 views)
Old November 2nd, 2015, 05:25 PM

A few perspectives...

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...-mondello.html
Old November 3rd, 2015, 05:31 AM
Out of Line, Everytime😉

Honestly, the only thing good about the Mondello system is the modern A/C compressor. The Mondello uses the tiny under drive pulley. The March probably works well but as said probably robs power if anything. I know Ram Air Restorations has billet aluminum pulley sets for $329 with the power steering and alternator pulley. I bought those stupid under drive pulleys, caused charging and over heating issues. They were well made at least, using the crank pulley as a jack extension. I bought a used March non serpentine crank pulley. It looks like the Non A/C crank pulley in the ram air picture, only a slight under drive. My other pulley was so small it needed Allen head bolts. They look nice polished up with the chrome 110 amp alternator.

Last edited by olds 307 and 403; November 3rd, 2015 at 05:33 AM.
Old November 3rd, 2015, 06:59 AM
Old(s) Fart

Other than the chrome, why would one want the March system? It is NOT a serpentine system, it is simply a more complex method of driving the existing water pump and accessories with a flat, multi-rib belt. The extra idler pulleys needed to force the belt into contact with the conventional rotation water pump increase drag (and HP loss) while increasing complexity and cost (and potential failure points). Frankly, I'd put the $1500 into a set of aluminum heads.

By the way, you can easily adapt a modern A/C compressor to the stock brackets. Many sources sell adapters to mount a Sanden or similar compressor in place of an A6. You can also get a modern compressor that is a bolt-in replacement for the A6. For even less money, just adapt the 307 compressor brackets and run an R4.
Old November 3rd, 2015, 10:43 AM
Out of Line, Everytime😉

All good points but I personally think the R4 compressors suck. Unless the aftermarket ones are better, go with something else. I have had multiple ones make noise and seize.
Old November 3rd, 2015, 11:00 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by olds 307 and 403
All good points but I personally think the R4 compressors suck. Unless the aftermarket ones are better, go with something else. I have had multiple ones make noise and seize.
I've had problems with the cheezy R4 rebuilds from Four Seasons, not so much with others. In any case, you can still get a Sanden style compressor to fit your original compressor brackets. $1500 buys a lot of useful parts instead of a psuedo-pserpentine system.

This:

Or this:

Old November 3rd, 2015, 12:19 PM

Thanks for the input guys. I have already put the $1500 into heads...and I am fine spending a bit more but I don't want performance to suffer by means of making it look 'pretty'.

What are your thoughts on the Mondello kit?
Old November 3rd, 2015, 03:59 PM
Out of Line, Everytime😉

If you have higher compression or a marginal cooling system, it may over heat. I couldn't get my 403 cooling properly till I put back on factory ratio pulleys. Yes, those are the same pulleys.
Old December 6th, 2015, 08:39 PM

Shouldn't be crazy high compression...its being built to be a street/autocross car that makes around 400hp. My radiator is fried so I will be going with an aluminum unit with dual electric fans.

I've spoke to a member who has the Mondello set and really likes it...I spoke to them on the phone last week though and the lowest he would go is taking around $150 off - total kit price coming out to around $1800 which I think is pretty high when it was $1500 not to long ago.

If you don't like either kit...are their any other options out there that would work on an AC (vintage air) car with PS and tall valve covers (Ebrock heads)? I'm honestly looking to dress it up and go for something beefier than the original single groove design...if you think thats idiotic...please remember its my car and not yours

Thanks again for the help guys and I really appreciate the insight.
Old December 7th, 2015, 05:27 AM
Out of Line, Everytime😉

Dick miller has a simple serpentine set up for around $600, check it out. Dick Miller, plus many others have those "Mondello" pulleys much cheaper. Ram Air Restoration has multiple V belt billet aluminum pulleys in different ratios.
Old December 7th, 2015, 10:33 AM

Dick miller has a simple serpentine set up for around $600, check it out. Dick Miller, plus many others have those "Mondello" pulleys much cheaper. Ram Air Restoration has multiple V belt billet aluminum pulleys in different ratios.
Old December 7th, 2015, 10:42 AM
Old(s) Fart

Dick miller has a simple serpentine set up for around $600, check it out.
Still not a true serpentine belt system. This is merely an expensive set of pulleys to let you run a flat multi-rib belt, and an idler to force enough engagement on the PS pump. $600, no net benefit. Plus, you still need a V-belt for the A/C compressor. Your money, your call...

Old December 7th, 2015, 10:44 AM

I just got off of the phone with Ram Air and they are discontinuing the PS pulley and they are already out so I'll have to find another option.

The DMR set looks interesting but doesn't look like it's available in raw aluminum or polished.

Anyone else have an Expeirence with a full set like this?

I'm to the point now where I wouldn't mind the one like Ram Air but I can't seem to find any other kits.
Old December 7th, 2015, 10:47 AM

I'm with you on that Joe. It really doesn't look like that's worth $600.
Old December 7th, 2015, 11:18 AM

I'm somewhat partial to this design, but that's just me...

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...ine-setup.html

Still awaiting testing and a few minor issues to straighten out, then production time. It's not a money maker, so it's not my top priority, as work and some other things have kept me absolutely buried the past few months.
Old December 7th, 2015, 11:56 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by 83hurstguy
I'm somewhat partial to this design, but that's just me...

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...ine-setup.html
Which, I'll add, really is one of the few true serpentine setups for an Olds motor, using the reverse-rotation pump from the V6 diesel.
Old December 7th, 2015, 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Which, I'll add, really is one of the few true serpentine setups for an Olds motor, using the reverse-rotation pump from the V6 diesel.
It's actually not a V6 diesel pump... It's an actual high-flow reverse rotation pump with machined impeller from a different brand application, has an adapter we designed to use on Olds. I bought a V6 diesel pump, saw the same cheesy stamped impeller that is used on every mass rebuild, and decided to find something better.
Old December 7th, 2015, 12:27 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by 83hurstguy
It's actually not a V6 diesel pump... It's an actual high-flow reverse rotation pump with machined impeller from a different brand application, has an adapter we designed to use on Olds. I bought a V6 diesel pump, saw the same cheesy stamped impeller that is used on every mass rebuild, and decided to find something better.
DOH! We've had this conversation before.

Memory is the second thing to go, and I can't remember the first...
Old December 7th, 2015, 01:37 PM

lol. I also forgot we've had this conversation... it's been that long... I really need to finish this, once my regular job and other life priorities give me a break...
Old December 10th, 2015, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Still not a true serpentine belt system. This is merely an expensive set of pulleys to let you run a flat multi-rib belt, and an idler to force enough engagement on the PS pump. $600, no net benefit. Plus, you still need a V-belt for the A/C compressor. Your money, your call...

I just recently bought this setup, and am waiting for the pulleys to come back from the powder coater before it ships.

Joe, on the 'no net benefit', I will have to disagree. In my application, because of my accessory load on the alt, it's tough to keep it from slipping. It's a fine line between tight enough not to slip, and too tight which wipes out water pump bearings, alt bearings, and does actually load the crank. If it's not tight enough and slips, not only does it not charge properly, but it super-heats the alt pulley, cooks the belt, and cooks the alt.

I realize a lot of folks keep their' stuff original, but I can't leave anything alone. Electric fans, electric fuel pump, brighter headlights, EFI, OD trans, beefy stereo, and other accessories drive the load up to where a 63a alt just ain't gonna cut it.

In my experience a 140a alt is about max the v-belt setup can handle, and I'd prefer a little more padding to extend the duty cycle. So what are my options?

Old January 3rd, 2016, 08:04 AM

Attempted the install of the Dick Miller setup, my results are here:

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...ey-review.html