How loud is your radiator fan?

Search this Thread

Old July 28th, 2015, 05:10 AM

How loud is your radiator fan?

I was having problems with my AC temps in stop and go traffic, and I've always thought this car ran hot since I bought it a couple years ago, so I bought a new fan clutch and installed it yesterday. Sure enough, the old one had leaked the viscous fluid all over the back of itself, and the new one had more resistance even at room temperature.
The problem is now I can really hear the fan, even when the car is first started up and not yet hot. I have replaced fan clutches on a lot of older cars/trucks, and I don't remember any of them being noticeably loud, but this is a convertible, and a pretty quiet car over all. Most of my cars/trucks had headers, louder mufflers, and other things which would cover up a noisy fan.
Your thoughts?
Thanks,
Jeff
Old July 28th, 2015, 05:21 AM

I had a clutch fan from the parts store on a 72 Cutlass and it did the same thing. It was terribly loud. I took it off and found a good original. Sounded much better and worked like it should.
Old July 28th, 2015, 05:23 AM

Any tips on where to find a good original?
I'll run this noisy one until I can find an original, at least it seems to cool and keeps the AC temps lows in traffic.
Thanks for the reply,
Jeff
Old July 28th, 2015, 05:36 AM

There are several guys here that will have one. Post in the parts wanted section and you will likely find a good one. I should have some good ones somewhere. If I get time tonight I will see if I can find one. Are you sure your radiator don't need attention also? I find that many of these cars had the cooling system neglected for so long that they need radiator work. Obviously the lack of fluid in your clutch fan was your biggest problem like you said.

Eric
Old July 28th, 2015, 06:06 AM

Thanks for the info, Eric.
The cooling system looks pretty good, the coolant is nice and green and the radiator passages that I can see don't have corrosion build-up, I think it was just the fan clutch causing problems. The temperature idiot light has never come one, it just felt to me like the car was running hotter than it should.
Overall this car seems to have been very well maintained by the previous owners. It's very original and I received a ton of receipts for parts, maintenance, and repair work dating back to the early 2000s.
Thanks again,
Jeff
Old July 28th, 2015, 07:20 AM
Administrator

The real question is what temp is getting to, I suggest buying a mechanical gauge and installing it temporarily. Some clutch fans sound like a garbage truck, not necessarily a bad thing is the noise means its cooling.
Old July 28th, 2015, 07:28 AM

Put on some Thrust Mufflers and you'll never hear it ;-) yeah, mine is noisy too...
Old July 28th, 2015, 03:01 PM

It's normal for a thermal fan clutch to be engaged (ie, loud) when you first start up. But if it doesn't get quiet within about 30 seconds of driving, it's wound too tight, so to speak. And if it's constantly engaged once the engine's warmed up AND the engine isn't too hot, then it's not the right clutch for your application (even if it was sold that way).
Old July 28th, 2015, 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by Jeff's Classics
I was having problems with my AC temps in stop and go traffic, and I've always thought this car ran hot since I bought it a couple years ago, so I bought a new fan clutch and installed it yesterday. Sure enough, the old one had leaked the viscous fluid all over the back of itself, and the new one had more resistance even at room temperature.
The problem is now I can really hear the fan, even when the car is first started up and not yet hot. I have replaced fan clutches on a lot of older cars/trucks, and I don't remember any of them being noticeably loud, but this is a convertible, and a pretty quiet car over all. Most of my cars/trucks had headers, louder mufflers, and other things which would cover up a noisy fan.
Your thoughts?
Thanks,
Jeff
When I was doing my resto I bought a heavy duty clutch thinking HD would be better. It wasn't. It almost never disengaged and was as loud as a 747. It even overpowered my loud exhaust. It drove me crazy! I picked up a stock replacement from Napa (I think) and never looked back. My temp never goes above 190*, and that's sitting in traffic with the AC blasting.

Last edited by Macadoo; July 28th, 2015 at 03:15 PM.
Old July 28th, 2015, 04:50 PM
Just an Olds Guy

A noisy fan clutch is normal when the car first starts. That's been my experience anyway. Usually quiets down after about 30 -40 seconds.
Old July 28th, 2015, 06:51 PM

If you put a heavy duty clutch on a car with a standard fan blade, there might not be enough air resistance for it to disengage. Happened to me a few years ago. I put on a standard one and it worked much better.
Old July 28th, 2015, 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by Lady72nRob71
If you put a heavy duty clutch on a car with a standard fan blade, there might not be enough air resistance for it to disengage. Happened to me a few years ago. I put on a standard one and it worked much better.
Yup, that's what I did.
Old July 28th, 2015, 09:45 PM

I got into a similar problem with one on a '69 "98" I had years ago..
The correct thermal type replacement fan was considerably more expensive than
what was described to me as a "mechanical" type fan.
Not sure about the operating principle of this "mechanical" fan, maybe centrifugal, but,
that damn thing was so loud I had to take it back off.
I was warned it would be "a little louder" than the original, but, it was more than a little louder.
You might want to check into what type of fan you were sold.