German inspection - CO measurement

Search this Thread

Old April 26th, 2014, 05:40 AM
Nop
2-stroke 1-cylinder guy

German inspection - CO measurement

Hi!

Had my exhaust sniffed yesterday for my first inspection. Idle CO at 750-800rpm in park is at 4.8vol%, both exhaust pipes. Value needs to be at a maximum of 4.5% for 1970 vehicles.

A '72 El Camino was in their database, Chevy small block with a QJet, had 4.0/4.2% at measurement and the guys said QJets should normally be able to get under 4.5% quite easily.

While I set my ignition timings already, I have no ringing and the engine isn't too far on the rich side, I actually wanted to rebuild my carb (rebuild set already here) after registration without hassle and not rip it apart now before May 6th.

Question:

Does anybody have experience in setting idle lean/rich in combination with live CO measurement? Do I have a chance to get down to or below 4.5% with just playing with the idle mixture screws?

I could get away with a rough running idle for the printout and go back to my current settings after that.

Last edited by Nop; April 26th, 2014 at 05:49 AM.
Old April 26th, 2014, 05:57 AM
CQR

Leaning out your idle mixture screws should bring down your CO at idle. 4.8% is high(rich) on a stock engine. It would probably only take about 1/2 turn in on each screw to get you below the 4.5% mark. You want to turn them in until you get just a roughness in the idle then back out just enough until it smooths out as a rule of thumb. Do they also test for HC?
Old April 26th, 2014, 06:04 AM
morgan

another tip...put the car on defrost so the idle will pick up a couple hundreds
Old April 26th, 2014, 09:36 PM

My car goes through emissions testing every year. The CO idle limit is 5.0% and I easily pass that, typically with a value below 0.5%. Your engine must need some tuning if you are getting 4.8% at idle.

What distributor are you using and what is your initial setting?

Things that really help my engine are:
- disconnect the vacuum advance
- set the initial advance to 10º
- use low octane fuel

I have a spreadsheet with the test results for the past 15 years and I see an increase in CO with high octane (91) fuel vs. low octane (87) fuel. Another tip is to add methanol or ethanol (I use E-85) so there is about 20-25% alcohol. This one thing REALLY drops the readings for both CO and HC. I've had as low as 37 ppm HC and 0.12% CO with this tuning.
Old April 27th, 2014, 12:24 AM

You have an over rich condition either caused by a float-needle and seat problem or the mixture screws are are out too far.Nick
Old April 27th, 2014, 06:35 AM
Nop
2-stroke 1-cylinder guy

Originally Posted by CQR
4.8% is high(rich) on a stock engine.
Yes, by far - but I don't have any experience for 70's V8s so far.

Originally Posted by CQR
It would probably only take about 1/2 turn in on each screw to get you below the 4.5% mark.
So it's possible. I'll adjust it on Monday/Tuesday with the sniffer connected when I'm there again.
Originally Posted by CQR
Do they also test for HC?
Just idle CO without catalytic converter.

Originally Posted by Fun71
typically with a value below 0.5%
Now that's a number.

New Pertronix, new spark plugs and wires, stock QJet, Stock air cleaner and housing.

~10 to 12 degrees @ 1000 to 1200rpm with vacuum connected.

an increase in CO with high octane (91) fuel vs. low octane (87) fuel.
Yikes. I'm on 102 Octane plus lead replacement for now.

So I'll do my homework and let them sniff again Monday or Tuesday.

Thanks, Gentlemen!

Stefan
Old April 27th, 2014, 07:00 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by Nop
Yikes. I'm on 102 Octane plus lead replacement for now.
Your octane is different from our octane. This misunderstanding has destroyed engines.

You use the Research (RON) system, while we use the Anti-Knock Index (AKI or RON+MON/2) system.
The RON rating is usually about 4-5 points higher than the AKI system for the same fuel.
Your system is the system we used to use when these cars were made.

The average gas station in the US now sells gasoline between 87 and 93 octane, which corresponds roughly to 92 to 98 octane on your side of the pond.
Since our premium-fuel cars were made to run on 100 octane (102 or 103 octane for the W-30s and other high-performance cars), none of the gas commonly available over here has enough octane fo them, but it is close.

If you have a premium fuel 350 (one that came from the factory with a four barrel carb.), then, in theory at least, you should only need 100 octane.

You do not need a lead substitute unless you are constantly drag racing or towing a heavy trailer through the Alps, but are certainly welcome to use one if you prefer.

- Eric
Old April 27th, 2014, 09:51 PM
Nop
2-stroke 1-cylinder guy

Originally Posted by MDchanic
Your octane is different from our octane. This misunderstanding has destroyed engines.
Sorry, Eric - I know it but forgot to mention it: "At least 102ROZ, no bio Ethanol but bio Ether", so 97/98 Octane on your side of the globe.

Lunch break update:

Warmed her up, turned both idle mixture screws in 2 and a half turns exactly. While I didn't check what position(s) I started at (bummer!), both screws give a rough idle after another quarter turn.

Now, shame on me - of course it's too rich after dumping the shiny open edelbrock air filter housing in favour of a stock housing.

I'll let them sniff my rear end again after work today.

Last edited by Nop; April 28th, 2014 at 04:22 AM.
Old April 29th, 2014, 11:26 AM
Nop
2-stroke 1-cylinder guy

Passed: 1.791vol% at 610rpm. With very old oil, 102ROZ and no further tricks but the idle mixture screws.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
2014-04-29_15-25-39_298.jpg (46.5 KB, 72 views)
Old April 29th, 2014, 01:11 PM

Congrats on passing the test. Is it ready for registration now?
Old April 29th, 2014, 04:59 PM

Congrats your on the road
Old April 29th, 2014, 05:23 PM

My car goes through emissions testing every year. The CO idle limit is 5.0% and I easily pass that, typically with a value below 0.5%. Your engine must need some tuning if you are getting 4.8% at idle.

Things that really help my engine are:
- disconnect the vacuum advance
- set the initial advance to 10º
- use low octane fuel

I have a spreadsheet with the test results for the past 15 years and I see an increase in CO with high octane (91) fuel vs. low octane (87) fuel. Another tip is to add methanol or ethanol (I use E-85) so there is about 20-25% alcohol. This one thing REALLY drops the readings for both CO and HC. I've had as low as 37 ppm HC and 0.12% CO with this tuning.

This is great info. I always joked about running inspections on moonshine.
Old April 29th, 2014, 05:46 PM

I figure if the state is going to emissions test a 40+ year old car that drives a few thousand miles per year then I will play their game, but not by their rules.

These emissions tests were implemented by the same geniuses who decided to start monitoring the air quality for particulate matter. Well guess what, it's a desert and the wind blows, so there are gonna be particulates in the air. Dumbasses. Their solution to the "problem" was to mandate paving all roads within the county. Pretty soon we'll have to pave over the entire desert to be in "compliance".

Last edited by Fun71; April 29th, 2014 at 05:50 PM.
Old April 29th, 2014, 09:34 PM
Nop
2-stroke 1-cylinder guy

Uhhh, while I passed the emissions test and the technical part, paperwork is not yet done.

The Inspection engineer cowardly refuses to fill in the 1970 maximum for loudness and required a measurement for that - next Tuesday.

Other than that: OK.

Stefan