oil pressure problem

Search this Thread

Old August 1st, 2013, 01:57 PM

oil pressure problem

Alright everyone reciently bought a 81 cutlass with 403 and 350 trans I opted to replace it with a rebuilt 69 350 bored .30 over. All in and hooked up. When I prime it I can get oil to passenger side of the lifters drivers side stays dry so I pulled a few rods on driver side they are clean and clear tried putting dissy in and turn engine over no oil pressure with dissy in. Curious if because I took the hei dissy out of the 403 if thats the coulprit and I need to get a new one because if I can stick a drill and prime and get oil to passenger side obviously my pump works ....idk im just stumped any help please
Old August 1st, 2013, 02:52 PM
Administrator

It takes a while, drill needs to turn CCW.
Old August 1st, 2013, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
It takes a while, drill needs to turn CCW.
I actually had engine running for 25 minutes and noticed no pressure on my gaugr then went exploring have had drill going for 5 min in 30 sec intervals with dissy in I get nothin to lifters with shaft in after about 10 sec pass starts pumping oil through rods one at a time until all have it coming out but never a drop through driver side. Rods are all clear no restriction hsve even tried bumping engine while priming to no avail this is my first sbo install and im stumped
Old August 1st, 2013, 05:22 PM

has the engine been apart?

Sounds like the plug at the aft end of the LH passage was not installed. A glance down in the distributor hole while running the drill should show that as a huge gusher of oil spewing out of the aft end of that passage onto the oil pump drive shaft &c.
Old August 1st, 2013, 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by Octania
has the engine been apart?

Sounds like the plug at the aft end of the LH passage was not installed. A glance down in the distributor hole while running the drill should show that as a huge gusher of oil spewing out of the aft end of that passage onto the oil pump drive shaft &c.
Theres oil on pump etc but shouldnt there be oil when priming
Old August 18th, 2013, 09:58 AM

yes
there should be a tiny spit of oil onto the oil pump drive shaft while you spin it w/ your drill.

Not a finger sized gusher, which would indicate that the plug is missing. No spit of oil would indicate the plug has no hole.
Old February 8th, 2019, 01:31 PM

Thanks to all. I also had a pressure issue.I still have a 403 Olds engine that I purchased. I had it bored, honed, line bored and hot tanked. The machinist told me about the two oil galley plugs in front but never told me about the oil galley plug that sits inside the block behind a press in plug. I was on this forum for about three hours before I read the post. I did leave out the plug. I had to drill it out, just enough to get the distributor gear wet with oil. You guys saved me a lot of work trying to find it.
Old February 8th, 2019, 04:06 PM
72 Olds CS

good to know very common to miss that plug or not have a hole in it