Hot Intake Manifold

Search this Thread

Old April 3rd, 2011, 12:09 PM

Red face Hot Intake Manifold

Exhaust goes into the intake manifold to operate the choke
but can exhaust be blocked off from going into the intake.
My paint on the intake burnt. and no doubt the carburator gets very hot because intake manifold gets so hot.
Doesn't a cool carburator enhance power?
Why is the intake heated?

Sorry if this is a dumb question.
Old April 3rd, 2011, 12:13 PM

First what year is your car? 1973 and later have EGR and if you block off the crossover it won't function. Also if you don't change over to an electric choke the chock won't work and as the car warms up it won't run very well.
Old April 3rd, 2011, 12:51 PM

svnt442First what year is your car? 1973 and later have EGR and if you block off the crossover it won't function. Also if you don't change over to an electric choke the chock won't work and as the car warms up it won't run very well.
This is all good information. You could fill the passage in the intake with molton aluminum or fill the heat riser passages in the heads. They also make plugs that have to be fitted & then pounded in. I have heard these can rattle loose. Of course if you go this route your EGR and choke stove will no longer function properly. It does help to keep the air fuel charge cooler, which = better performance.
Old April 3rd, 2011, 03:22 PM

Year 1972 350 c.i.d 2 bbl
Thanks!
Does anyone here have thier intake blocked?
Are there any after market intakes that simply don't allow the exhaust into the intake?
Old April 3rd, 2011, 03:23 PM

Only ones designed strictly for racing.
Old April 3rd, 2011, 06:58 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Homestar
Year 1972 350 c.i.d 2 bbl
Thanks!
Does anyone here have thier intake blocked?
Are there any after market intakes that simply don't allow the exhaust into the intake?
The main reason for the exhaust crossover under the carb is to promote fuel atomization, particularly when the engine is cold. The heat keeps the fuel vaporized instead of puddling out in the intake. Blocking the crossover is common when the engine is used in racing applications to get the last few percentage points of performance, but frankly for a street-driven car you want to keep the crossover open. Blocking it will make for poor cold start and driveability, especially if you live where it gets cold.
Old April 3rd, 2011, 07:44 PM

thanks!!
Old April 4th, 2011, 04:10 AM

Originally Posted by 67 Cutlass Freak
They also make plugs that have to be fitted & then pounded in. I have heard these can rattle loose.
I installed a Performer RPM last year. I fitted the plugs and pounded them in. I thought I had them in tight, but they rattled so bad that I am now taking them out. It took about a month for them to get loose.
Old April 4th, 2011, 04:30 AM

I ended up putting my crossover back in service. After about 8 years the gasket began to leak coolant so when I replaced them I removed the plates I had previously installed. It ran fine over the summer but took too long to warm up and run well when the temps got into the 50's. I like to drive my car until the first snow so it can get into the twenties. I have an electric choke but I would have to be very gentle on the gas for too long with the cold manifold. Runs much better now with the crossover restored.
Old April 4th, 2011, 05:05 AM

Thanks!!
I was really surprised it gets hot enough for the engine paint on the intake to burn.