Throttle Cable Bracket & Throttle Cable

Search this Thread

Old September 17th, 2010, 05:06 PM

Question Throttle Cable Bracket & Throttle Cable

Okay, seen a few posts on swapping from 2bbl to 4bbl but nothing that specifies which bracket or cable is recommended (fitment, price, etc.).

Basically need to know what are the best options on retrofitting a 4bbl Quadrajet carb from a 2 bbl setup?

d1
Old September 17th, 2010, 05:59 PM

the 4bbl has a longer cable. i would think someone here would have some for sale. i think i have an extra cable but not sure about the bracket. i may have a bracket that will work but not sure if i have a correct one. i will have to look and see what i have. someone may have what you need before i can find mine.

i am guessing you need it for a 1970?
Old September 17th, 2010, 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by jensenracing77
the 4bbl has a longer cable. i would think someone here would have some for sale. i think i have an extra cable but not sure about the bracket. i may have a bracket that will work but not sure if i have a correct one. i will have to look and see what i have. someone may have what you need before i can find mine.

i am guessing you need it for a 1970?

Yes sir, it is for a '70. Thank you for taking the time to look.

d1
Old September 17th, 2010, 08:00 PM

What Jensen said. There's a specific cable and bracket for the 4 bbl setup. You can buy both parts used or repro.

Here's a pic of the correct bracket:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_2154.JPG (36.8 KB, 353 views)
Old September 18th, 2010, 10:29 AM

i did find the correct bracket and cable. the cable originally had a rubber grommet in the end of it and this cable is missing it. if you are interested send me a PM and i will get you pictures. i would take $25 plus shipping.
Old September 18th, 2010, 11:28 AM

PM sent
Old September 18th, 2010, 01:34 PM

70Post, Where is that bracket available repro? That is the only thing holding up my swap. I would prefer an original, but if the repro looks like that, then I would consider it. I was hoping to find an original to look into the possibility of reproducing it accurately.

defiant1, if by chance you don't use that original bracket, I am chomping at the bit to get one.

If anybody else reading this thread has an original one they are interested in selling, please PM me. I am not exactly sure how many years are correct, but I'm fairly sure that 68-70 are the same.

Originally Posted by 70Post
What Jensen said. There's a specific cable and bracket for the 4 bbl setup. You can buy both parts used or repro.

Here's a pic of the correct bracket:

Last edited by 69oldsguy; September 18th, 2010 at 01:50 PM.
Old September 18th, 2010, 04:21 PM

I will be using the bracket, but like you I was having a hard time finding one.

If I happen to come across one I will definitely let you know.

d1
Old September 18th, 2010, 10:46 PM

The Parts Place sells a repro version.
Old September 19th, 2010, 04:50 AM

fusick has the bracket for $22 and the cable for $42. the bracket fits 68 to 73 and the cable fits 69 to 72.
Old September 22nd, 2010, 06:02 PM

Thanks guys. I must have missed them. I'll check again.
Old September 22nd, 2010, 08:46 PM

My advice---Buy the throttle cable from The Parts Place. It's a different cable than the one sold by Fusick.

The main difference is at the end that attaches to the carb linkage. The Parts Place cable, LIKE THE ORIGINALS, has a large opening on that end that a grommet and nylon bushing slip into. The nylon bushing then slips over the stock Rochester carb linkage.

BUT---the rubber grommet and nylon bushing sold by The Parts Place is a bit to wide to use with the factory washer and hairpin cotter that were used to keep the cable end from slipping off the carb linkage

The Fusick cable(made by Inline Tube) has a much smaller metal end on the carb linkage end and the hole in it is too small to utilize a nylon bushing. You could probably ream that hole out larger and find a nylon bushing that will work but I WOULDN'T DO IT UNTIL I found the right nylon bushing.

WHY DOES THIS MATTER----Because metal-on-metal (Fusick throttle cable end hooked to the metal carb linkage) doesn't work that great all the time. You need something to act as a bearing and that's what the nylon bushing does. There's a reason the FACTORY DID IT THIS WAY.

I can sell you a new repro Fusick/Inline Tube cable if you like and an original carb throttle cable bracket. I would need some time to source the correct sized nylon or brass bushing to install on the end of the throttle cable. I also have the retainer washers and hairpin cotters on order.

I know...it's a mess...one repro parts place has the right cable but the WRONG grommet/bushing set up. The other doesn't have any of those.

Another tip...Supercars Unlimited sells a rubber grommet and nylon bushing set up that works correctly with The Parts Place throttle cable (the one that's more like the factory cable). BUT....they are out of the small nylon bushings right now. Also....Supercars also sells what appears to me the same throttle cable as The Parts Place...but it's $20 higher. Go figure.......

>Go to Parts Place for the correct throttle cable....but don't order the grommet and bushing setup they have for it as it's wrong

>Then go to Supercars Unlimited for a grommet that's the correct width (to work with Parts Places cable..or their cable[which is probably made by Parts Place] if you want to pay a bit more) BUT the nylon bushing isn't currently available.

>OR...go to Fusick for the "incorrect" cable and modify it so it works right.

What did Walter Cronkite used to say?? "Well, that's the way it is on....."

I've been doing some work on carbs/intakes/throttle cable setups on a couple original cars recently so that's why I have made all these comparisons to the repro stuff in an effort to see what's out there and who has "the right stuff".

Good luck.
Old September 22nd, 2010, 09:02 PM

Here---A pic is worth the thousand words I just typed above
Attached Images
IMG_2556.JPG (41.3 KB, 416 views)
Old April 8th, 2011, 07:24 AM

Here---A pic is worth the thousand words I just typed above

Anyone have any luck finding the correct nylon bushing? I got the grommet from SU, but they do not have the bushing. Any ideas for a suitable substitute??

d1
Old August 8th, 2011, 10:05 AM

Has anyone found the bushings yet? I am looking for some for my dad's 70 455 98. Thanks
Old September 6th, 2011, 04:16 PM

looking for a throttle cable for cutlass s 1969 with 350 2bbl

Originally Posted by defiant1
Okay, seen a few posts on swapping from 2bbl to 4bbl but nothing that specifies which bracket or cable is recommended (fitment, price, etc.).

Basically need to know what are the best options on retrofitting a 4bbl Quadrajet carb from a 2 bbl setup?

d1
I saw this post and I am looking for a throttle cable for a 1969 cutlass s convert with a 2bbl...anyone know where I can find one?
Old September 6th, 2011, 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by convert69
I saw this post and I am looking for a throttle cable for a 1969 cutlass s convert with a 2bbl...anyone know where I can find one?
i have a cable for a 2bbl. $30 shipped if you are in the USA.
Old September 7th, 2011, 05:45 AM

I am in USA Massachusetts and will take you up on the cable

Thank you I am interested in the cable and will take it. Please let me know how I can contact and arrange payment etc...
Old September 7th, 2011, 08:07 AM

let me pull it tonight and get you a picture. i will send a PM tonight.
Old January 6th, 2015, 08:31 PM

Problems with 2bbl to 4bbl conversion on my 69 cutlass please help!

Alright i'm sorry if this is a re-post but i could really use some help. My throttle cable from my 2bbl doesn't seem to reach the 4bbl ring so i was forced to use a paperclip to drive my car down the street and back to my house. I would like to know is there a little extender i can buy? or do i have to replace the entire cable?

Thanks!
Attached Images
Oldsmobile69.4.jpg (11.2 KB, 267 views)
Old January 7th, 2015, 04:45 PM

Use of Non-factory parts could reasonably lead to improvised fitment. You could try a new or used 4-bbl cable, or improvise, perhaps with something a notch better than the paper clip. Then again, that paper clip might outlast the car, and the price is right.

As for small nylon bushings, have you guys looked into IGUS plastics or McMaster, Grainger, etc. ?

I got IGUS to send me samples of the right size bushing that makes distributor pegs proper, like a lifetime supply, for samples.... I called initially about a unit for a task at work.
Old January 7th, 2015, 08:14 PM

That nylon bushing and rubber grommet looks just like the factory bushing on my 65 Vette. So maybe Zip Corvette, Ecklers, Mid America, or another Vette or Chevy repo dealer had them.

Steve
Old January 7th, 2015, 08:16 PM

Or is he saying that is the bushing that is too wide?
Old January 7th, 2015, 08:46 PM

please post a link to the bushing you guys are talking about? That would be greatly appreciated, otherwise i might just have to get creative with a U bolt and some welding or something but that looks so unprofessional and i am not a fan of that :/
Old January 8th, 2015, 04:27 PM

If you have a good hardware store near you, they'll have a drawer full of various sizes of nylon bushings.
Old August 5th, 2016, 04:24 PM

Sorry for bringing up an old thread, but does anyone know if any of the aftermarket companies currently have a suitable replacement throttle cable for a quadrajet, including the bushing and grommet?

Thanks Patton for the great information on this thread, and evaluating the aftermarket throttle cables, bushings, and grommets.
Old August 8th, 2016, 11:29 AM

I have my own carb/throttle cable attachment kit......$22 shipped. All the correct pieces....installs, functions and looks like the factory setup.

These are the pieces for attaching the throttle cable end to the ball on the carb linkage.

Last edited by 70Post; August 8th, 2016 at 11:39 AM.
Old October 3rd, 2017, 02:55 PM

I have my own carb/throttle cable attachment kit......$22 shipped. All the correct pieces....installs, functions and looks like the factory setup.

These are the pieces for attaching the throttle cable end to the ball on the carb linkage.
Patton do you still have these parts? If so could you post pictures? Thanks...
Old October 3rd, 2017, 07:09 PM

Bob - PM sent.....thanks
Old October 4th, 2017, 01:15 AM

Patton. You have a PM
Old November 24th, 2018, 03:43 PM
SIXT9 style

69 cutlass throttle cable

Originally Posted by defiant1

d1
I was wondering I saw ur post on carb swap and I bought my car with diff intake and carb but I tracked down the original equipment now seems like cable I bought is too long would u know Bc I saw u had similar problem
Old November 24th, 2018, 05:31 PM

I've been using a bicycle brake cable for years fed through the stock sheath.
Old February 3rd, 2020, 01:43 PM

Do you know who sells a correct or close to correct throttle cable for a '68 with a 4 bbl. carb.? Thanks for any help.
Old February 3rd, 2020, 07:41 PM

Do you have an old original cable you can post a pic of from a '68?? Showing the end of the cable that attaches to the carb linkage.

Two repro vendors I checked show a repro cable for '69-72 cars. So.....I'm wondering what was different on the '68's. May be able to figure out a solution if someone can post a good pic showing that end up close.
Old February 4th, 2020, 02:40 PM

Carb. cable

Sorry Patton. I only have a '70....
Bob
Old February 4th, 2020, 08:53 PM

I'll try and find an example down here on a '68 car....in the meantime, if anyone has a good pic showing an original '68 Cutlass carb cable end try and post it here. Thanks Bob.