belt squeel

Search this Thread

Old January 12th, 2010, 04:05 PM

belt squeel

i have a 1984 oldsmobile delta 88 2dr royale. this is my 5th delta 88 and i have had this belt squeel problem with everycar. it is a constant squeel loud and sometimes goes away. im thinkin its my alternator being overloaded with a stereo. once i turn everything off the squeel goes away. only thing i havent done is replace the alt to a bigger one. any suggestions or ideas? anything helps!!
Old January 12th, 2010, 04:22 PM

Belt squeal is caused by belt slipping. More electrical load on the alternator/elect system puts more load on the alternator and makes it harder to turn and in your case causes more slipping. It has been my experience that worn or a super shine on the pulleys are the cause of most slippage and squeal on a car with a normally tightened belt. I suggest you rough up all pulleys with coarse emory and install a new belt and tighten to tighter than normal (a new belt will stretch) and see what happens.
Old January 12th, 2010, 04:38 PM

A larger alt will not stop the squealing.
If 5 Deltas have the same issue, something is way wrong...

Try a new factory GM belt and roughen the pulleys and clean them well with alcohol to remove any grease traces. On some cars, when the alt belt goes over the power steering pump pulley, the power steering belt must be tightened before the alt. Doing it backwards will cause the alt belt to loosen I think...
Old January 13th, 2010, 07:22 AM
Old(s) Fart

I have to admit that I continue to be mystified by the problems people have with squealing belts. In 35 years of owning Oldsmobiles (including 84 and 86 307s currently), I've never had a belt squeal problem. I think one of the biggest problems is that most folks do not know the trick of how to properly tension the belt on the PS pump.

To determine which belt is squealing, remove one at a time and run the engine for a brief period to see if the squeal goes away.
Old January 14th, 2010, 06:45 AM

Ugh, I have the same issue. It's the PS belt...no matter what I try, it doesn't get tight enough. I'm going to just take it to my mechanic to have him do it.
Old January 14th, 2010, 07:48 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Joeypete
Ugh, I have the same issue. It's the PS belt...no matter what I try, it doesn't get tight enough. I'm going to just take it to my mechanic to have him do it.
Are you aware of the provision designed into the bracket for tensioning? The process is;

1. Loosen all three pump fasteners (two bolts on the front, under the pulley and the one nut at the bottom rear of the pump).

2. Insert a large screwdriver or prybar between the pulley and the front bracket. There is a tab formed on the front bracket next to the pump nose. The purpose of this tab is to allow you to lever between the tab and the pump nose to properly tension the pump. Look straight down between the pulley and the pump and you'll see the tab on the inboard side of the pump.

3. While maintaining tension with the pry bar, tighten the three pump-to-bracket fasteners. Note that this usually takes at least three hands.

4. Enjoy silence.
Old January 14th, 2010, 05:51 PM
Seasoned beater pilot.

if you remove the smog pump and AC, you will have problems with 307 setups.
Old January 15th, 2010, 07:17 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by J-(Chicago)
if you remove the smog pump and AC, you will have problems with 307 setups.
I've removed the A.I.R. pump on my 84 307 (but kept the A/C) and have no squeal.