Intake valves not seating

Search this Thread

Old March 16th, 2019, 08:46 PM

Intake valves not seating

Hey all,
I am having some trouble with a 350 rebuild, well really having trouble with a rebuilder.

1970 350 long block rebuild, one of the things we had done was have big block valves installed in the 1970 #6 heads, when we got it back and i was getting it ready to put it in i was trying to put cyl #1 at tdc but wasnt getting any compression, upon further testing with compressed air and the rocker arms removed none of the intake valves were seating and the valve springs were kind of loose.

so we brought the motor back to the rebuilder and he re did the valve job and replaced the springs. Apparently the valves were not ground straight with the seats,

now im at the same point in getting it ready again and am running into the same problem on 2 cylinders.
Check out the attached picture, is there anything you can see is wrong with it? I plan on taking it back to the builder monday, i would like to have have my guns loaded on this haha

Old March 16th, 2019, 11:20 PM

Originally Posted by redbaron442455
one of the things we had done was have big block valves installed in the 1970 #6 heads, when we got it back and i was getting it ready to put it in i was trying to put cyl #1 at tdc but wasnt getting any compression, upon further testing with compressed air and the rocker arms removed none of the intake valves were seating and the valve springs were kind of loose.

so we brought the motor back to the rebuilder and he re did the valve job and replaced the springs. Apparently the valves were not ground straight with the seats,

i would like to have have my guns loaded on this haha
You need a different machinist. Two tries, still can't get the valves to seal? Either he's the stupidest machinist on Earth, or he's drunk, or he's totally incompetent.

If you INSIST on letting this bozo have another shot at it, bring him the heads and tell him to vacuum-test the valve seal. When they don't hold vacuum, demand a refund.

Old March 17th, 2019, 07:12 AM

Originally Posted by schurkey
you need a different machinist. two tries, still can't get the valves to seal? Either he's the stupidest machinist on earth, or he's drunk, or he's totally incompetent.

If you insist on letting this bozo have another shot at it, bring him the heads and tell him to vacuum-test the valve seal. When they don't hold vacuum, demand a refund.
x2
Old March 17th, 2019, 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by Schurkey
You need a different machinist. Two tries, still can't get the valves to seal? Either he's the stupidest machinist on Earth, or he's drunk, or he's totally incompetent.

If you INSIST on letting this bozo have another shot at it, bring him the heads and tell him to vacuum-test the valve seal. When they don't hold vacuum, demand a refund.
Thank you for the input! I definately am going to be demanding a refund for sure!
i was thinking that if they fitted new bigger valves their would be allot more machining you would see (making it bigger) it looks to me like they ground the original seat and threw a bigger valve on it.

i plan on getting a refund and having the heads fully gone thru (valve job, guides, spring pressure, rocker arm geometry)
Old March 17th, 2019, 08:59 AM

How much did the head work cost? Did you pay for new valve guides? The valve pictured is not a valve I would use.
Old March 17th, 2019, 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by VORTECPRO
How much did the head work cost? Did you pay for new valve guides? The valve pictured is not a valve I would use.
my father brought the motor to this guy to have it fully rebuilt, he paid $2700 for a long block rebuild including new bearings, polished journals, new forged pistons, bore 30 over, balance assm, hv oil pump, new timing chain and new aftermarket cam and lifters, valve job with new big block valves, new valve guides, pc seals, new springs (2nd time around).
Old March 17th, 2019, 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by redbaron442455
my father brought the motor to this guy to have it fully rebuilt, he paid $2700 for a long block rebuild including new bearings, polished journals, new forged pistons, bore 30 over, balance assm, hv oil pump, new timing chain and new aftermarket cam and lifters, valve job with new big block valves, new valve guides, pc seals, new springs (2nd time around).
Thats pretty cheap. I think it’s safe to say he most likely cut some corners.
Old March 18th, 2019, 06:30 AM
Out of Line, Everytime😉

I would bet Speedpro forged pistons were used with inadequate clearance as well. I would get another shop to do it. Also get them to open the bowls under the valves with a cutter, bet that wasn't done either.