Mechanical Temp Gauge Problems

Search this Thread

Old April 7th, 2018, 04:54 PM

Mechanical Temp Gauge Problems

Hi All,

My cooling setup is a 2 row radiator (aftermarket) with factory fan shroud and fan clutch. The radiator saddles and the top cover plate will only fit a 2 row setup. As I didn't have a gauge but wanted to keep the factory 'HOT' light in the gauge cluster, I added a set of mechanical AutoGage (temp/oil) to the bottom of the dash. I have the 190/195 (not sure which) thermostat in the factory water neck. As some additional info, engine is fairly fresh rebuild and includes all new belts, thermostat, hoses, water pump and all new gaskets and seals as I had it completely apart. Hopefully I can safely eliminate head gasket issues, water pump, etc. I did a cam swap (stayed with flat tappet), added an MSD ready-to-run, upgraded the heads to have some Comp Camps components, forged pistons and added a Holley 750 DP.

Took the car for a drive earlier on neighborhood roads this evening and temp was normal and sits around 210 on average. However, after a few minutes, temp climbed on the gauge all the way to 280 (max) and at the next stop light, it dropped back down to 230 until I started driving again. Stayed between 260-280 until I got back home when it dropped back down to 210-230 normal range in park. As it's a mechanical gauge, there isn't any grounds, it's just the capillary temp sensor going to the port on the manifold.

Has anyone else come across this? Thought it was really odd for it to drop in temp when it came to a stoplight rather than climb higher. Is it perhaps the gauge that crapped out on me? Engine didn't seem hotter than normal, no visible signs of any overheating and nothing overflowing out of the radiator.

Last edited by tgilligan; April 7th, 2018 at 05:15 PM. Reason: Left out additional info
Old April 7th, 2018, 06:42 PM
Administrator

If it moved up rapidly, you probably have an air pocket. I leave the cap of and wait until the thermostat opens and put a water hose in the radiator neck on a slow flow and force the pocket out.
Old April 7th, 2018, 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
If it moved up rapidly, you probably have an air pocket. I leave the cap of and wait until the thermostat opens and put a water hose in the radiator neck on a slow flow and force the pocket out.
Thanks Eric. Any suggestions without the hose? Here in the northeast, it's still friggin cold so I haven't hooked up my hoses or gone into my crawlspace to turn on the valves to my outside spigots yet. I've seen some methods where people are sticking a funnel in the neck and filling as needed but I don't have an overflow bottle, just a small hose pointing down from the relief nipple. Don't want to screw it up by having is just **** out all over the place. Any other methods I could use? Sorry for being a noob, it's all things I'm learning to do as I go.

I think you may be right about the air pocket, I replaced the water neck as I had a chrome one when I put the engine back together but it leaked so I put my original tried and true cast one back on. I most likely let air into the system at that point.
Old April 8th, 2018, 04:49 AM
Administrator

You can try leaving the cap off and running it until it warms and you see water flowing. Then add 50/50 coolant mix until the level is about 2 inches below the neck. Put the cap on and take it for a ride and hope it dissipates on its own over time.
Old April 8th, 2018, 06:46 AM
Old(s) Fart

Since you said you have both the light and the gauge, where in the intake is each sensor?
Old April 8th, 2018, 10:42 AM

You can try leaving the cap off and running it until it warms and you see water flowing. Then add 50/50 coolant mix until the level is about 2 inches below the neck. Put the cap on and take it for a ride and hope it dissipates on its own over time.
As always, many thanks Eric. Seemed to work and a couple of road tests showed the temp stayed solid where it normally is. It likes to stay in the 220-230 range but based on some of the changes I made listed in my original post, would that be a normal range in your opinion for a 2 row radiator? In order to go to a 3 or 4 row I would need to get the bigger top plate and also have new saddles welded to the bottom of the core support correct?
Old April 8th, 2018, 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Since you said you have both the light and the gauge, where in the intake is each sensor?
Hi Joe,
The sending unit for the light is the first hole directly to the right of the water neck (looking at the front of the engine). Next to that in the far right corner of the Edelbrock intake, I used that port for the capillary sensor for the mechanical gauge. I attached a pic to hopefully help. Do I have it correct?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_3172.jpg (842.9 KB, 7 views)
Old April 8th, 2018, 01:57 PM

is it possible to test the gauge on the stove in a pot of water?
Old April 8th, 2018, 02:52 PM

Yes, that should work. Even better if you have a thermometer (meat, etc. that you could stick in there too for reference.
Old April 8th, 2018, 03:51 PM
Out of Line, Everytime😉

What radiator did you put in it? Copper/brass replacement? That is plenty high, you have an air pocket or a faulty sticking closed thermostat. I just had this issue, got to happy with the RTV and was blocking flow, fine at idle, up and down all over the place on the hot side along with some 240 plus temps. Test the thermostat in a boiling pot of water. The Champion 2 core with 1" tubes a good choice and will your current saddles.
Old April 8th, 2018, 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by olds 307 and 403
What radiator did you put in it? Copper/brass replacement? That is plenty high, you have an air pocket or a faulty sticking closed thermostat. I just had this issue, got to happy with the RTV and was blocking flow, fine at idle, up and down all over the place on the hot side along with some 240 plus temps. Test the thermostat in a boiling pot of water. The Champion 2 core with 1" tubes a good choice and will your current saddles.
I have an aftermarket Spectre CU161 2-row radiator in there now. I had originally picked up a CU165 as it was a better quality but it didn’t fit the saddles. Also have a brand new Stant thermostat in there but I too thought I went very light with the RTV but you never know, maybe it gummed it up. If 220-230 is too hot based on my upgrades, I’ll have to take it back apart and see what happens.
Old April 8th, 2018, 05:35 PM

The above posts got me thinking and after looking more into the model number I have, it appears it’s only a 1-row radiator and that isn’t going to cut it as I thought it was a 2-row.

I saw an aluminum ‘Desert Cooler’ model available on the Parts Place website which is a 3-row and appears to have my cooler line ports as well. Anyone have any experience with that model?

If not, can someone tell me if it’s the same between Cutlass and Cutlass Supreme assuming both are A/C, 350, automatic trans and have cooler lines? The website shows it fits Cutlass but didnt specify Supreme. I thought it would work for both but not sure

Last edited by tgilligan; April 8th, 2018 at 05:53 PM.
Old April 8th, 2018, 06:54 PM
Administrator

Cutlass and Supreme are the same.
Old April 8th, 2018, 06:56 PM

Cutlass and Supreme are the same.
Thanks! You really bailed me out this weekend with all my questions, much appreciated!
Old April 8th, 2018, 06:57 PM
Administrator

No problem, the single row should have still worked at speed. Where you should have had issues is long term running at idle.
Old April 8th, 2018, 07:02 PM

No problem, the single row should have still worked at speed. Where you should have had issues is long term running at idle.
After taking your advice about the air pocket, it definitely works. My concern is that although it’s keeping temp stable, it’s keeping it at 220-230. Is that too hot?
Old April 8th, 2018, 07:06 PM
Administrator

I agree. What is your timing set to, initial, total without vacuum advance, and total with vacuum advance?
Old April 8th, 2018, 07:18 PM

I agree. What is your timing set to, initial, total without vacuum advance, and total with vacuum advance?
After the cam swap and changing the springs and bushings in the MSD, initial is around 17-18, total without advance is around 34-35, can’t recall the total with advance to be honest.
Old April 8th, 2018, 07:45 PM
Administrator

Is your vacuum advance hooked to ported or manifold. Manifold is preferred. The only other thing is if your carb is running too lean. 220-230 is too high.
Old April 8th, 2018, 07:53 PM

Is your vacuum advance hooked to ported or manifold. Manifold is preferred. The only other thing is if your carb is running too lean. 220-230 is too high.
Yep, it’s hooked up to a full port just below the throttle blades at the base of my Holley 4150 DP. In reality I’m closer to the rich side as I think the fuel bowls are a little high so I need to lower them. I pulled a couple plugs and were a bit rich. I’m hoping my high temp is either a faulty gauge or the 1-row radiator just isn’t cutting it.

Question. Rather than pulling the gauge and testing in pot of water, can I test the hoses and spots of the engine with an IR thermometer to see if readings are correct? If they are less than 220-230, can I assume it’s the gauge?
Old April 9th, 2018, 06:24 AM
Out of Line, Everytime😉

Yes, check with the IR Thermometer, your gauge could be off. I am a proponent of 2 core rads with 1" tube or larger cores for cooling, like the Champion I mentioned, it will fit. If it is that hot, seriously test the Thermostat, it sounds like that or a partially plugged rad. How new is the water pump? But if the impeller was corroded, it would be just as bad at idle, you would think.
Old April 9th, 2018, 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by olds 307 and 403
Yes, check with the IR Thermometer, your gauge could be off. I am a proponent of 2 core rads with 1" tube or larger cores for cooling, like the Champion I mentioned, it will fit. If it is that hot, seriously test the Thermostat, it sounds like that or a partially plugged rad. How new is the water pump? But if the impeller was corroded, it would be just as bad at idle, you would think.
Water pump is brand new when I put the engine back together last month. Radiator is new as well, just a cheap one since my budget was spent. I’ll check the thermostat as well and I was looking at a radiator from The Parts Place as they had a decent deal on an aluminum 3-row radiator. I’ll check the gauges and most likely replace them as well to be safe.